Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mac exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mac exhaust

I just had a full mac system put on the ride...it sounds great,but when I'm under load and spinning there is a horrible (LUNK,LUNK,LUNK)sound.I had it up in the air 3 times and cant find anything loose,or were it would be hitting.Unless the car flexes so much its moving 2 inches or more.Has anyone ever delt with something similar....?and how was it corrected?I also smoke quite a bit on the decel,I'v been told there is alot of blowbye in these motors and that its normal.I am running an off road y.So being theres no cats its more noticable(SMOKE)....So if any one can help that would be cool,if not thats cool too.I'm new to this site and always looking to talk about cars.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Teching In

Try and post this in External Engine you will get your answer much faster from guysi n there....and maybe before that try and search your problem if you have not already
Old 04-03-2005, 02:25 PM
Staging Lane

thanx
Old 04-03-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clunk is your y-pipe banging the floor board. I have mac headers and a custom catted y-pipe and when I floor it the y-pipe will hit the floor board and make that noise. The only way to correct it is to get poly motor mounts so the engine isnt moving around as much causing the y-pipe to bang. Other than that there is a mufflex y-pipe bump stop that you can get from thunder racing. I have one waiting to be installed, not sure if it will correct it but ill let ya know how it works out. The y-pipe banging though is completely normal though with headers so dont worry about it.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:39 PM
Staging Lane

Default mac exhaust

coool.I figured that was prob... it,but they seemed to be tight,so I wasnt sure.Those mufflex deals your waiting on?Do they just bolt in to the bottom of your frame,or something
Old 04-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Staging Lane

Default exhaust

my email is djholm@rochester.rr.com...let me know how it works...for 40 dollars its worth a shot anyway.

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
The clunk is your y-pipe banging the floor board. I have mac headers and a custom catted y-pipe and when I floor it the y-pipe will hit the floor board and make that noise. The only way to correct it is to get poly motor mounts so the engine isnt moving around as much causing the y-pipe to bang. Other than that there is a mufflex y-pipe bump stop that you can get from thunder racing. I have one waiting to be installed, not sure if it will correct it but ill let ya know how it works out. The y-pipe banging though is completely normal though with headers so dont worry about it.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey i put it on today, it seems to have helped, it still sorta of bumps a little bit but it deadens it a ton so you dont hear that real hard banging noise. Yes it just bolts in, I put it on the drivers side of the y-pipe, seemed to help the most there.
Old 04-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

You should be able to take it to any exhaust shop and get it a hangar welded on. I have the same setup and problem as you and no more banging y pipe. Don't bother with mufflex, I called them and they told me their hangar wouldn't work with mac ORYP and just to take it to any exhaust shop. You can email me for more info or pics. metal989@gmail.com