Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Cheap Lifts that can be installed in a standard garage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Lifts that can be installed in a standard garage?

I have a 3.5 car garage and have been thinking of a lift.

Unbolting and wrestling a trans while a car is 2 feet in the air on jackstands isn't the best feeling in the world, plus we are actually short on garage space for storage.

I looked into the American Products TP7A and it doesn't sound bad. Top one on the page http://www.americanautomotiveequipme...1606/index.htm

My car isn't heavy, 2700lbs, and all I care about is being able to safely work on it and getting it off of the ground in the winter so I can park the tractor and things like that underneath it.

Anyone have one or seen something similar? It must be able to affix to a standard garage floor and best case would be run on 110v.

Even if I only got it 4-5 feet off the ground, at least I know it would be stable.

I'm very very close to getting something like this, I just need to measure out the garage and see what is all involved in installing one.

My biggest problem I think would be placing it far enough back where I could life the car and have the garage door open, if I couldn't have it open I'd have to clear the garage door openers.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Eric,

Post up in MotownMuscle.com if you get a chance. There have been a few people that have gone with the four post and two post lifts in the last few years that might be able to help you with some local names and shops to talk with about setting up the lifts. One of the guys just started prepping a project in the last month or so and I think there was a recommendation on someone to help do the install too.

Besides that, there are a lot of people curious as to how the RX7 project has been coming along.

Rick
Old 04-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Launching!

I had something very similar in my last garage - and loved it. Definately worth the money if you've got the room to go up, even a few feet like you said. A few considerations I ran into: my garage was arranged in such a way that it required a turn to enter the stall with the lift. This made it more challenging to get a car lined up properly. Also, with the height of the posts, I had to mount the lift a bit to one side of center, as one of the posts was tight against the slope of the roof. All things considered, if you've got the room you'll never regret it. It was a challenge to set up, but not at all impossible. The only other thing to think of is slab thickness - I was told it should be a minimum of 4 1/2 inches thick. I reinforced the slab by placing the posts on 1/4 inch 2x3foot steel plate, to distribute the load and avoid cracks. Worked well. Good luck!!
Old 04-19-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen a lot of them on the ferrari board. Some people use the lifts just to fit more cars in a garage. I have thought about getting one myself. There are several articles on www.ferrarichat.com about ideas of garages as you can imagine those dudes go overboard on thier garages.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:05 PM
Teching In

my dad and i have 2 lifts that we use to store and work on our cars, gimme a day and i'll get you names and prices. I think they only cost about $1,00-$1,500 apiece so they're pretty cheap. They're four post hydraulic lifts.

Also, our '81 Vette leaks oil and that's usually on top of the Mercury so make sure your'e not leaking if you're using them for storage
Old 04-19-2005, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dunno if its worth your while but the guys that installed a shiftkit in a buddies car had one of these www.kwicklift.com . I was really impressed by the unit and I am going to buy one once we move into a house.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies.

Rick,

The car is coming along fine. I just had the slave cylinder crap out so I was taking out the trans. Got everything out except for the final bolt on the top and there is hardly any room in the tunnel so you need to reach down the tunnel wiht your arm, not the safest thing to do on the jackstands in case something starts to go wrong. I have headers for it and the car has been running great.

I lookeda the the Kwiklifts but I need something that will let me work on the suspension and those drive on ones will not.

I do not know what the slab thickness is, but 4.5 inches is alot better than what I thought it would be, I was thinking 6-8.
Old 04-20-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Wjat about a sissor lift? They sell these at Harbor freight for unde 1000?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can't work on the trans or other underbody stuff, just the outer points.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking about this lift they throw in the wheels and drip pans.
but I haven't heard anything about them from someone who own one.

Pro park
Old 05-15-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all of the replies.

I think I'm going with the drive on lift on casters that has the center lift to get the wheels off of the ramps like the Pro Park

It will be nice to move the car over to the corner on the casters and be able to drive it on.

Plus my garage has a HUGE iron I-Beam on it, putting a electric chain lift on it and being able to move the lift under it would really help.

Its a bit more exspensive but I don't have to put a new pad in my garage for the depth and the mobility is great.

Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Cheap Lifts that can be installed in a standard garage?