Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Wierd rattle coming from trans area?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wierd rattle coming from trans area?

Hey guys, winter modfest 05 is complete, and has been for about 900 miles now. Among the modifications, I had my trans gone through at D&D performance, replaced all the bearings and synchros, steel shift forks, blah blah blah. I upgraded to the new slave cylinder, and added an LS6 clutch kit with new flywheel. I got it all installed, and it works perfect, and shifts like a dream. I've only got on it a few times but for the most part I've been really easy on it. However, today I noticed this really wierd rattle coming from the engine or trans. It gets really loud if I put my ear by the shifter (Pro 5.0 with Lou's SS if it matters) and it only does it in neutral, idling. What could it be?! It wasnt there before, and everything still works perfectly. Shifts are nice and smooth, 1-6th and reverse all work great.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Old 04-25-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you changed the shifter in your modfest, it prolly the 5.0= they will transmit more noise.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:50 PM
TECH Resident

the pro5.0 is one loud mamajama! but works wonders
Old 04-25-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you swap your pilot bearing? When not in gear with the clutch off it will make a whirring sounds, with the clutch depressed the sound will go away.
-Steve
Old 04-25-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by v8maro
Did you swap your pilot bearing? When not in gear with the clutch off it will make a whirring sounds, with the clutch depressed the sound will go away.
-Steve
This is the problem I'am having.What is that the pilot bearing?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by v8maro
-Steve
in most cases the noise is caused from the transmission having more moving points while the clutch is out as opposed to when its in and nothing spins while preparing for gear selection.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will hear a whiring sound in neatral / clutch applied. It will be amplified if you have changed the shifter- did you? I would not read too much into it unless you have shiftability / vibration issues to go with it. How loud is the noise anyway?
Old 04-26-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

In another post a member said the pinion angle could be off.I'am starting there.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is it https://ls1tech.com/forums/gears-axles/311334-pinion-angle-vibration.html
Old 04-26-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He said idling and in neutral and with his ear on the shifter, I'm assuming (hoping) he's at a stand still and not driving down the road with his ear on the shifter. If that's the case, pinion angle isn't the culprit. I'm with Steve, I say it's the pilot bearing. You do have ATF in the tranny right?
Old 04-28-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
He said idling and in neutral and with his ear on the shifter, I'm assuming (hoping) he's at a stand still and not driving down the road with his ear on the shifter. If that's the case, pinion angle isn't the culprit. I'm with Steve, I say it's the pilot bearing. You do have ATF in the tranny right?

Ok, It does this totally intermittently. Sometimes, I dont hear a thing, other times it just does it. I replaced it with a stock GM roller bearing. It sometimes rattles, in neutral at idle. When it rattles, if I push the clutch pedal down, it stops rattling or the rattling significantly decreases. If the pilot is the culprit, does this mean I should change it again? If so, could I use the brass bushing every other GM vehicle on the planet uses? My car came with the roller bearing in it from the factory, but I know the brass one off of an LT1 f-body will fit. And yes, I have 4 quarts of synchromesh in the trans. That ****'s expensive!
Old 04-29-2005, 09:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by HavATampa
Yep ,4 quarts in there.
Old 04-30-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
Ok, It does this totally intermittently. Sometimes, I dont hear a thing, other times it just does it. I replaced it with a stock GM roller bearing. It sometimes rattles, in neutral at idle. When it rattles, if I push the clutch pedal down, it stops rattling or the rattling significantly decreases. If the pilot is the culprit, does this mean I should change it again? If so, could I use the brass bushing every other GM vehicle on the planet uses? My car came with the roller bearing in it from the factory, but I know the brass one off of an LT1 f-body will fit. And yes, I have 4 quarts of synchromesh in the trans. That ****'s expensive!

???
Old 04-30-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 894 Posts

I am sorry, but what you are hearing are all the gears inside the tranny turning. With the tranny ion neutral and the clutch out, the engine is spinning the gears inside the tranny. When you press the clutch in, the clutch is disengaged and the gears stop turning. This allows you to select a gear. With the after market shifter, more noise is transmitted inside the car. Remember how the stock shift handle had a rubber isolator built into it? This was to keep some of the noise out of the car. Swap out to your stock shifter and the noise will most likely all but disappear.

Andrew
Old 04-30-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I am sorry, but what you are hearing are all the gears inside the tranny turning. With the tranny ion neutral and the clutch out, the engine is spinning the gears inside the tranny. When you press the clutch in, the clutch is disengaged and the gears stop turning. This allows you to select a gear. With the after market shifter, more noise is transmitted inside the car. Remember how the stock shift handle had a rubber isolator built into it? This was to keep some of the noise out of the car. Swap out to your stock shifter and the noise will most likely all but disappear.

Andrew

Why would they be rattling around though? I 've had the Pro 5.0 in my car since the day I bought it, and its never made a peep. The trans was just rebuilt by D&D performance with new and stronger everything, I'm confused why it would rattle with the equivalent of 500 miles on it as opposed to the 70k it had before.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 894 Posts

You may want to give D&D a call and see what they say.

Andrew
Old 05-01-2005, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

i ahve the same thing going on
it did it before the rebuild with the stock hurst with lss and after the rebuild with the hurst probillit

not sure what it is and it is a new piolet bearing
Old 05-02-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

I see a couple of people say it's the pilot bearing making that noise? I have the exact same "problem" and I've always thought it was the throwout bearing making the noise? Try doing a search here on the boards for throwout bearing and you should see a few threads that describe pretty much the same problem you have.
Old 05-02-2005, 07:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

im pretty sure it is the TO bearing now that you mention it because as soon as you touch the clutch the sound goes away