Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't buy nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't buy nitrous

I have to drive an hour one way to get nitrous and have to pay 4.70 per lb.That in itself sux.But after calling the shop 3 times before going to go get it to make sure they have enough and them saying they do then getting down there and only getting 2 lbs has pushed me over the edge.I want to do this myself so I call the local welding supplier (Airgas).They have cylinders for exchange but they tell me I have to be a business owner and have liability insurance in order to purchase it WTF?????? Apparently the mastermind druggies have figured out how to filter the sulphur dioxide out of it to inhale it and ruined it for everyone else .Does anyone have any ideas or know of a place where I can do this w/out all the hassle.Please..... help me
Old 04-24-2005, 05:37 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy your own fill station from NOS and fill bottles to help pay for it.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats the problem I can't get the mother bottles.
Old 04-24-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

Do you have any other local gas suppliers? I would make some more calls if you do. The business account thing might just be their company policy because I still buy bulk with a personal account. You could go talk to them personally and see if you can work something out. Alot of bulk suppliers will also send out your bottle to be filled at their main warehouse but there's probrably a one week turn around, so you'd need another bottle, plus they will get beat to ****.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the same problem here in Pa. I went the local welding gas places and they all told me I have to have a medical license and that they don't even know where to get racing nitrous.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:21 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

how far are you from omaha?

i do my own fills and have 2 big cylinders. i do fills for others too. the company here would set you up if you wanted them too. i think the bottle rent is something like $200/5years.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Default hard to find

yeah. It seems to me that speed shops with aftermarket products used to carry nitrous a few years back, but say they are simply unwilling to carry it any longer because of their highly potential dangers. That's just what they tell me down here in central N.C. Good luck on finding a more local fill station!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm about 2.5 hours from omaha.My dad lives in lincoln so I travel through there often I would deffinately drive that far to get nitrous maybe 2 bottles at a time also let me know what i need to do to get with your people.And I'd like to check out your truck TIA
Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
single digit dreamer

are you talking 2 cylinders(130lbs) or 2 bottles(20lbs)?

if it is just 2 bottles i can hook you up for $3.50/lb. we just need to plan ahead a few days to be 100% sure i am loaded up. if you want 2 cylinders at a time i will just get the gas company info for you and you can call them up.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Puritan Bennet is the company that make NU nitrious with the sulfur dioxide in it.
Some of the others handle straight nitrious without the sulfur dioxide,that is medical
grade nitrious and you need a license to buy it.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:17 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

I rent my mother bottle for $7 per month, and 65 lb of nitrous is $125 (one bottle is 65lb cylinder). I get two at a time, and take them in for exchange whenever I want. I get it from a local welding supply company, but I run it through a family business that has an account there. I contacted my insurance company and told them I was doing some welding on my own cars and was going to have some cylinders of high pressure gas in the garage. They said no problem as long as it was for my own use and not for working on other peoples cars. I got my NX refill station and it works great. It comes out to be about $1.92/lb plus rental plus tax...I figure about $2.25/lb total for my use...so if I sell one bottle and use one per month, I will get my nitrous for about $1/lb total cost...pretty sweet deal.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, did nitrous go up in price or something? I used to pay $1.85/lb about 2-3 years ago for my Integra. Been a long time since I used nitrous, but that seems like quite an inflation.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by parish8
are you talking 2 cylinders(130lbs) or 2 bottles(20lbs)?

if it is just 2 bottles i can hook you up for $3.50/lb. we just need to plan ahead a few days to be 100% sure i am loaded up. if you want 2 cylinders at a time i will just get the gas company info for you and you can call them up.
I'm talking cylinders 65 lbs Hopefully 2 of them so I don't have to constantly make trips. I use at least 1 bottle a week during the summer months so if I got two large cylinders I would have enough for my own use and maybe make some money since its so hard to come by around here.Then I would only have to make a trip down there every month/ month and a half.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah if your trying to get medical grad your basiclly screwed. I think that AirGas is full of sh*t because I know of individuals that have boughten Mother bottles from them and they dont own any buisness. The place I use for the Mother bottles charges $6 a month for bottle and like $2.46 a lb. I used my work for an account so they could just bill me but I could do cash up front if needed. They are a AirGas type company. I didnt know that it was possible to take the sulp/diox out of the mixture.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:39 PM
10 Second Club

damn. they fill nos for $25.00 per 10lbs bottle here.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:22 PM
single digit dreamer

nitrous prices seem to vary a lot. around omaha it is $4.50 so at $3.50 i am prety cheap. i seem to be able to keep it in stock better than the speed shops too.

i get my nitrous at praxair. see if this link works. they will want to know if you want cylinders with syphon tubes or not. i used to get the tubes and keep the bottle upright but i am geting more out of a bottle with no siphon tube and inverting the cylinder. like 10lb's more.

if you are patient you can get most of it out without a pump but you need to warm the big cylinder and freeze the small one. a pump is nice but expensive.

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...48515713580658
Old 04-25-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nitrous prices seem to vary a lot. around omaha it is $4.50 so at $3.50 i am prety cheap. i seem to be able to keep it in stock better than the speed shops too.

i get my nitrous at praxair. see if this link works. they will want to know if you want cylinders with syphon tubes or not. i used to get the tubes and keep the bottle upright but i am geting more out of a bottle with no siphon tube and inverting the cylinder. like 10lb's more.

if you are patient you can get most of it out without a pump but you need to warm the big cylinder and freeze the small one. a pump is nice but expensive.

http://www.google.com/local?hl=en&lr...48515713580658
Cool thanks for the help I will give them a call tomorrow.What would be the best way to warm the larger bottle?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:33 PM
single digit dreamer

i used a heating pad. prety low wattage, like 15watts i think. wraped it in some insulation too. just left it on all the time.

you can get a couple of fills easy then the next couple of fills you will have to get 1/2 a fill and then refreeze the bottle and finish the fill. then the last fill you will only get a couple of lb's per freeze/fill cycle.
Old 04-25-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i used a heating pad. prety low wattage, like 15watts i think. wraped it in some insulation too. just left it on all the time.

you can get a couple of fills easy then the next couple of fills you will have to get 1/2 a fill and then refreeze the bottle and finish the fill. then the last fill you will only get a couple of lb's per freeze/fill cycle.
Thanks for the tips I wasn't sure if you could freeze a bottle with nitrous still in it.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

if your going to heat the mother bottle, might as well get a refill pump....I can get quite a bit out of my mother bottle without the pump, but the last 5-6 lbs requires the pump....freezing the receiving bottle works wonders for quick filling without a pump...

SDB

Quick Reply: Can't buy nitrous