Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Port matching on FAST 90mm intake worth the trouble? What's involved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Port matching on FAST 90mm intake worth the trouble? What's involved?

Need a couple more things before I install the FAST 90mm intake, (MAF, bellow, and lid) but before I did, I was wondering if it was worth port matching the intake? I'm sure it wouldnt hurt to clean it up a bit, but wasnt sure if it was even worth the time. What is all involved? I dont have the money to send it off anywhere, so its something I wanted to tackle myself. It couldnt be that difficult, but where would I start? I need to decide if Im going to do it or not before I install it. Its not much work to take off, but would rather do it now than take it off later and do it. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Can someone post pics or explain to me where about it needs to be cleaned up? I'm trying to squeeze every last hp out of this intake setup. Thanks.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Can someone post pics or explain to me where about it needs to be cleaned up? I'm trying to squeeze every last hp out of this intake setup. Thanks.
Do a search and you will find some good info and pics. Well worth it.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if you don't get it "port matched", you at least need to clean up all the seams of the lower 2 portions. With the upper grey portion removed, you can see the large bump that sticks out in each runner. You can smooth that out and also clean up where the center sections meets the lower section. These areas were very rough on mine. I used my dremel w/snake attachment and a varity of sanding bits to work mine over. After that I used 400, 320, then 220 sand paper to finish it off smoothly. Mine turned out extremley well for my first time porting. If your able to get your finger behind the area you are porting, you can feel if you are getting to thin. If you start to feel the area you are porting getting warm on your finger, then you should ease off.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:36 PM
9 Second Club NA

Thanks for the info so far, anyone else have some tips? I plan on starting it today. I dont want to over do it. I'm about to take it apart now and see the spots where everyone is talking about. I searched and found some pics, but I really cant get an idea where about they are talking about that porting is needed.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:54 PM
9 Second Club NA

I finally got around to taking apart the FAST 90mm intake. Just wanted to make sure that I'm on the same page as everyone else. I took a couple of pics of where I think it would need to be smoothed out. I am no expert at porting and this will be my first time. In the pics, I have put a white circle around where I think it should be smoothed out, let me know if it needs to go or stay. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Port matching on FAST 90mm intake worth the trouble? What's involved?-fastporting.jpg   Port matching on FAST 90mm intake worth the trouble? What's involved?-fastporting2.jpg  
Old 04-26-2005, 02:24 PM
9 Second Club NA

I also noticed where the center section meets the lower section, it could be clean up a bit there too. Am I on the right road? Just want to make sure that I dont over do it because I hear you can actually hurt the performance if you go too much.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Your first picture is the "hump" I was refering to. You can remove it. The upper portion really dosen't need any work. Mine lined up great when I put the top on and felt down the ports. The part you circled might actually be a sealing point, but I'm not sure. The center/bottom meeting point is the other area I was talking about. You can smooth that also.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good post! I need to do this also.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

Can I port too much? I havent really done anything to the port where it mats to the head, but I've smoothed out the runner right were that lip was pretty good. Not sure if you can over do it in that area. Where else can it be cleaned up besides that lip and where the middle and bottom portion meets?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:20 PM
9 Second Club NA

Has anyone confirmed that the casting on the top portion of the intake needs to be smoothed out? Its towards the end of the runner. Take a look at the 2nd pic that I posted, that is what Im referring to. Thanks.