Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear bearings

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear bearings

I had my car aligned today at an alignment shop and this is what they did:

They took it out to test it and confirm the steering wheel centering, they told me my rearend sounds loud and said it's the bearings in the rear.

They lifted it up and tried to find if it was the diff/pinon bearings or the axle bearings, they couldn't tell which it was, they also said it sounds bad.

They wanted to do all the bearings in my rearend and I asked them how much, they said it'll be $600 and almost a full day.

I stopped by my friend's house on the way home and he said it sounds like the axle bearings (the one closest to the tire/wheels in the rear) and he said he will bring over a slide hammer and help me change them, he also said he had to do the same thing on his blazer and it sounded worse.

When I got home, I jacked up the rear of the car, the pax rear doesn't have any side to side play, the driver's side does have a lil.
With the car on the ground, there's a small in/out play on the pax side wheel.

I'm trying to find out which bearings could be making the noise, could it be the pinon bearing, the differental bearings or the axle bearings?

I didn't give much attention to the noise my car makes since I'm hard of hearing.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Here's a big tip. If it's the alxe bearings you can do it no problem. If it's the carrier bearings seal it back up and have the shop do it for you. Worth every penny.... Take my word for it.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just got back from my bro's store, axle bearings will be coming in tomorrow morning.

Going to do it with my friend. If he still hears it, I'll make an appointment with the shop, not gonna tackle with trying to get the pinon bearings out and the gear runout crap after replacing the bearings.

Speaking of Atlanta, I was there last week for an interview with Delta.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Midnight F-117A
I just got back from my bro's store, axle bearings will be coming in tomorrow morning.

Going to do it with my friend. If he still hears it, I'll make an appointment with the shop, not gonna tackle with trying to get the pinon bearings out and the gear runout crap after replacing the bearings.

Speaking of Atlanta, I was there last week for an interview with Delta.
Good luck on the change.
Delta.... they really are hurting right now, I hope they pull out of the nose dive soon...