Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Car died and will not restart

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 05:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Car died and will not restart

My LS1 RX7 had the slave die on it over the winter. I pulled the trans, replaced the slave and put on a set of Sanderson long tubes. Other than that the engine is stock.

I started the car up, open headers to get it warmed up and check it, the O2 sensors are about 1.5" from open air.

Started up, idled good, pulled it out of the garage and made sure the clutch worked in forward and reverse.

Decided to take it for a short spin around the block, got it about 150 feet and it died instantly, no stumbling, just died. It had run for at least 8 minutes before this.

Crank and it won't restart. I thought I might have been out of gas so I put in the 1/2 gallon I had, no restart. The RX7 has a funky tank and it was suggested I put in more gas. I put in a total of 8 gallons and tried to start it.

Nothing, it cranks, I hear the fuel pump "warble" but no spark or even hint it wants to start.

The car was put away running with no problems and I had started it earlier in this month to get it upto temp just before I pulled the trans.

Can I check voltage to the coil packs with it on RUN, is there anything obvious I need to check? I'll grab a FP gauge as soon as the store opens but other than that I can't think of what it could be. I do not know, and will not know, what pump is in the tank until Hinson's opens to find out what was put in there, I assume the pump could be as sensative as the F-body pumps and if they run dry they are done. I

Pain in the *** Pulled the trans and did the slave and headers for the first time in about 6 hours, start it up, sounded incredible, then this....

Oh, and I need to be at the exhaust shop at 9am EST.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm gonna point out the obvious here. You need three things for an engine to run. Fuel/air, compression, and a source of ignition. I would first pull the number one plug wire off and check and see if you have spark. If you have spark, then obviously check fuel. A LS1 is no more complicated than a lawn mower in reguards to the basics. Could be the crank sensor wire got burnt on the headers, that will kill all spark and fuel. Could have pinched that wire too when you reinstalled the tranny. You never know. Maybe the PCM just died. Being you didn't do the swap yourself it could be anything. I would check spark and fuel first though. It has to be one or the other. Being it just died with no sputter, I suspect it's probiably spark but you never know.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

I don't know how to solve the problem, but I just wanted to say hi Eric! It's been a while!
Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I checked the FP, its low, like 40psi but that should still be enough to start it or at least stumble.

I just pulled a plug and it was bone dry so I'm not getting fuel.

I did find out I screwed up and plugged the O2 sensor into the wrong harness by mistake, I'm not sure what I had it plugged into but I moved it to the correct harness. Hard to do in an F-body but easy to do in a 7, lot of extra harness.

So if I'm not getting fuel and assume I'm not getting spark what are the top 3 things to check? I can't check to see if I'm getting spark since there is no one else home right now.

Hi Pat, long time no see.

Thanks for the suggestions, it has to be something simple.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fixed.

The reverse lock out switch was shorting out...not sure if this would happen on an F-body.

Replaced the fuse and proceeded to blow it a few more times before I figuired it out.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

If you had no fuel on the plug that means the fuse the lockout is on is also part of the PCM power or the fuel injector power. No fuel on the plugs means the injectors weren't firing. Glad to hear you got it sorted out.