Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

99 Hydo questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 99 Hydo questions

I have a 99 WS.6 6 speed and I am going to have the clutch replaced. I decided on a RAM stage 3 to put it and I am going to see if the stock flywheel can be resurfaced. I was talking to a few people and I was told the clutch isnt that weak in the fbodies it is the hydros in the 98-00. So I figured I should get it done right so I dont have any headaches down the road. So what exactly do I need to do/buy in addition to a new clutch? I would like to pass on getting a new master cylinder if I could to save some $$. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was using the RAM 402/6130, 288 slave, Mcleod adjustable master cylinder with the drill mod for a couple of years. I just replaced it with the Mcleod Street Twin. I am going to get the RAM 402 rebuilt and go with the 980 disc? Still thinking about what disc to get. I like to have a spare clutch sitting on the shelf ready to go.

I would recommend getting a new master and slave with the new clutch since you have a 99. I think RAM sells an adjustable master, or you could just make the stock slave adjustable. Send Stick Only a PM, he is the resident RAM clutch dude on the board and has been very helpful with any questions.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

Not that I'm expert or anything, but i just went through some hydraulic woes with my '99 Z. From everything I gathered the most cost effective thing to do would be to replace your slave cylinder with an '01 +. After that's done take your MC out and do the drill mod, bench bleed and replace and then bleed the full system through the slave. With the new clutch install and the newer slave along with the fully bled system you should be chirpin' some gears.

Justin
Old 05-15-2005, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

So 01+ slave and drill mod in addition to my RAM should do the trick. That is what i was thinking in the first place but didn't want to half *** it and have it hurt me in the long run. I plan on taking it to the track occasionally maybe 2-3 times/yr for test and tune. Any maybe getting some headers and an underdrive pulley in the near future.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Teching In

I would also get an adjustable MC. My car's clutch is engaging right off the floor and I have a custom aftermarket clutch and pressure plate that the stock master cyinder just can't engage/disengage like it should. The car will not go into gear unless that clutch pedal is touching the floor and the MC and slave are relatively new and I have the 2002 year slave. I am in the process of getting an adjustable right this second to fix my issue. I've read many older threads on this board that all mention getting the Mcleod adjustable master cylinder after getting a new heavy duty clutch installed because of similar issues like mine but it does cost $309 pretty much everywhere you look which is why I'm trying very hard to find someone online that has one for sale. I'm waiting on 3 PM's to see if the ones I found are available.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

You can make the stock master adjustable with a little work.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/317767-stock-adjustable-master-cylinder-writeup.html
Old 05-17-2005, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jsniper
I would also get an adjustable MC. My car's clutch is engaging right off the floor and I have a custom aftermarket clutch and pressure plate that the stock master cyinder just can't engage/disengage like it should. The car will not go into gear unless that clutch pedal is touching the floor and the MC and slave are relatively new and I have the 2002 year slave. I am in the process of getting an adjustable right this second to fix my issue. I've read many older threads on this board that all mention getting the Mcleod adjustable master cylinder after getting a new heavy duty clutch installed because of similar issues like mine but it does cost $309 pretty much everywhere you look which is why I'm trying very hard to find someone online that has one for sale. I'm waiting on 3 PM's to see if the ones I found are available.
Is that the only reason why people change 98-00 master cylinders? If so I will leave mine alone and if I have that problem I will change it.