Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

disturbing article in Car Craft

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default disturbing article in Car Craft

I was reading an article in an old nov. 02 car craft and it was comparing the gm 10 and 12 bolt to a dana and ford 9". they had said one design flaw in the 10 bolts were the clips and if the axles broke that the wheel would be susceptible to falling off the car completely. Anyone hear of this actually happening?

I just had a Detroit locker put in about 500 miles ago and I have made three actual track passes but I drive my car like im at the track on the street. Breaking an axle and losing a wheel or 2 is not on my lists of things to do. I know the aticle said you have to have a clip eliminator after 10.99 at most tracks (which i will never run) but I know i will most likely snap anaxle shaft in the future even being the 13's and soon 12's.

I know there are some of you who have experienced them breaking. What happens, how does the car drive and feel when it does go. Right now I have 275/40 nittos and have a 2.0 60' and am putting in a 3200 stall and a 100 shot. so i am expecting to be putting a lot more stress on the rear.

I have seen hardened axle shafts in summit catalogs, anyone using these? are they reliable or junk?
Old 05-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Teching In

you would think the break caliper would keep the tire on
Old 05-15-2005, 12:05 AM
12 Second Club

im not really inclined to this. i am only recently getting my hands dirty and learning so some of this im clueless with. youll have to talk to me like im 12.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:08 AM
11 Second Club

The article you read is correct. On GM 10 & 12 bolts, the axles are held in with C-clips. IF you broke an axle, the end of the axle that the wheel is attached to could come out of the rearend housing, which would result in the wheel/tire coming off of the car. I have seen it happen to several different people at the dragstrip.

The way the 9" is designed is that the axle is held in place with four bolts at the end of the axle tube. That way if you broke an axle, it would stay in the housing, and not come out...

Several people make C-clip eliminator kits for the 10 & 12 bolts, if you are worried about it that much. Should be no concern unless you are making lots of power.

There is alot of info on this subject, I just briefly touched it. Hope this helps ya out.

-Dave
Old 05-15-2005, 01:10 AM
12 Second Club

do you have any opinion on the hardened axles STL2SLO? waste of money?
Old 05-15-2005, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

The Moser 28 spline aftermarket axles are advertised to be up to 35% stronger than stockers. The Mosers are also C-clip style axles. 99% of the time, the axle will break at the starting line and not create any danger. The rear brake caliper on the 4th Gen GM F body cars will most always hold the axle-wheel in place in the event of a broken axle. If a axle did break at speed, it could pose a potential huge problem, but it is rare on the F-cars. Drum rear brake rear cars w/c-clip axles is where the big danger lies. I do like the Moser F-body aftermarket axles and think they're worth the money to help strengthen the factory 10 bolt. Hope this helps you out. (My opinion only.) WJ
Old 05-15-2005, 12:16 PM
12 Second Club

hey WJ. i talked to a friend of mine who is a mechanis and he told me the same thing about the differences in the calipers and drum style brakes in the rear. He also thinks Im going to be fine with the stock axles but Im leary. Do you think the locker would be damaged in the event of an axle breaking. i see people break the auburn posi unit but will a detroit locker stand up any better?
Old 05-15-2005, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm still running stock axles in my A4 car w/Vig 3200 and 8.5" ET Drags. Got a pr. of Moser axles that I haven't installed as yet, though. 1.67 sixties and no problems so far, but that's no guarantee. M6 cars break more axles, carriers, and ring & pinions than the A4's...Best wishes. WJ
Old 05-17-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, most stock axles use the c-clip set up. 10 bolts, 12 bolts, Ford 8.8. They work fine for just driving around. Aftermarket axles will usually require c-clip eliminator kits where the ends are changed to those similar to a 9inch. You can get reqular c-clip axles too.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seen a broken axel on a 10 bolt. Luckily it was held in by the caliper.

Most of the time the posi or gears will break first though. You don't hear of too many axels breaking.......
Old 05-17-2005, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, that only happens to drum brake cars (axle falling out). I saw it happen to someone back when I was in high school, this guy made a right turn and there went his axle! Our disc brake calipers have brackets attaching them to the axle housing, which also prevent this from happening. Typically this was the case for 26-spline or less axles, our 28-spline axle will hold up very well.