PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Now attempting 2-bar SD: Problems and questions!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Now attempting 2-bar SD: Problems and questions!

Im a complete newb at this except for what I have been able to read in my research efforts over this last couple of weeks, so any and all help appreciated.

Basically, I set SD parameters(I think) and then tried to start the truck, w/out the maf. I will list the steps I have taken below:

1: Set maf fail to 0 and disabled the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106-P0108 set to 'x' and No MIL
2: (CAFR = 12.1) changed all points to 1.21
3: Disabled closed loop
4: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table
5: Disabled PE mode
6: Scaled MAP scaler to read 50kPa when key on, ended up with value of 93.0, with my sensor.
7: Bypassed the barometric pressure updating

Next, I cleared the fuel trims and tried to start the truck. It started, but would hardly run and was trying to idle at around 400 rpm, with the wideband showing like 16:1.

Here are a few of my present questions:
1: What other tables do I need to change to reflect the new "halved" map values? Ross(EFILive) mentioned something about the LTFT matrix etc.
2: What else do I have to adjust to get a reasonable idle?
3: Once I get the VE 'auto-adjusted'(EFILive) what do I do next as far as fueling goes? Do I just re-enable closed loop and PE?
4: I know I have other questions I forgot about, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks in advance for any and all sugestions.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlownAlaskan
Im a complete newb at this except for what I have been able to read in my research efforts over this last couple of weeks, so any and all help appreciated.

Basically, I set SD parameters(I think) and then tried to start the truck, w/out the maf. I will list the steps I have taken below:

1: Set maf fail to 0 and disabled the SES lights for MAF codes P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106-P0108 set to 'x' and No MIL
2: (CAFR = 12.1) changed all points to 1.21
3: Disabled closed loop
4: Copy High Octane table to the Low Octane Table
5: Disabled PE mode
6: Scaled MAP scaler to read 50kPa when key on, ended up with value of 93.0, with my sensor.
7: Bypassed the barometric pressure updating

Next, I cleared the fuel trims and tried to start the truck. It started, but would hardly run and was trying to idle at around 400 rpm, with the wideband showing like 16:1.

Here are a few of my present questions:
1: What other tables do I need to change to reflect the new "halved" map values? Ross(EFILive) mentioned something about the LTFT matrix etc.
2: What else do I have to adjust to get a reasonable idle?
3: Once I get the VE 'auto-adjusted'(EFILive) what do I do next as far as fueling goes? Do I just re-enable closed loop and PE?
4: I know I have other questions I forgot about, but these are the ones that come to mind.

Thanks in advance for any and all sugestions.
I can't provide much help (never done 2bar), but I would suggest wating for the 2bar custom os that EFI-live is coming out with.

I would just run with the maf/stock map for now and add fuel for the blower with pe vs rpm.

BTW, what did you MAP read at idle? That is most likely the problem area.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can bump the idle a little, but if you are running that lean when commanding 12.0, then you need to multiply startup areas of your VE by about 133%
Old 05-16-2005, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Txhorns281: As a general rule, what are the idle areas of the VE?

QuickSilver2002: I am using the custom operating system.
Old 05-16-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Txhorns281: As a general rule, what are the idle areas of the VE?

QuickSilver2002: I am using the custom operating system.
0 - 1200 rpms

I dunno bout your MAP, but you should be able to see that on your scanning tool, either way you can make full column adjustments and tidy up spots later. Was it consistently running 16.0 AFR even after you got up to operating temps? And just to make sure, you changed CAFR i nthe OLFA table right? right!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Ok, I got it to idle by raising the idle speed and raising the ve values in the <1200 range. I changed the CAFR values in Flashscan's (EQratio while in open loop) table. WBAFR was around 14-15 during my short drive while the commanded showed 12:1. This seems really off to me. I can just raise the VE values in the correct range to offset the fueling error, correct? This is exciting, runing w/ no MAF.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I got it to idle by raising the idle speed and raising the ve values in the <1200 range. I changed the CAFR values in Flashscan's (EQratio while in open loop) table. WBAFR was around 14-15 during my short drive while the commanded showed 12:1. This seems really off to me. I can just raise the VE values in the correct range to offset the fueling error, correct? This is exciting, runing w/ no MAF.
correct, you want to produce what you are commanding. A good % to adjust the VE by is: produced AFR/commanded AFR = xx%
Old 05-16-2005, 03:40 PM
Launching!

Sorry, two last questions: What about table smoothing each time I adjust my VE? Do I just grab the region I just adjusted and then hit my smooth button? Also, do I want to reset my trims after each VE change?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry, two last questions: What about table smoothing each time I adjust my VE? Do I just grab the region I just adjusted and then hit my smooth button? Also, do I want to reset my trims after each VE change?
does EFI live allow you to hand smooth? If so, that is much better to initially do, then do an complete smooth function when you are finished hand smoothing. But the final VE is so close that hand smoothing normally works best. And yes, if you are using your narrowbands to tune with, you will want to reset your trims to speed up the relearn, and then go for a short cruise to have your trims update.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Launching!

I can adjust individual VE cells if that is what you mean, otherwise, I have a whole array of smoothing options. How do I learn how to hand smooth?
Old 05-16-2005, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can adjust individual VE cells if that is what you mean, otherwise, I have a whole array of smoothing options. How do I learn how to hand smooth?
well at least on HP Tuners, you can grab individual cell points on the 3D graph and adjust graphically from there using your mouse.

The trick is to follow the natural shape/flow of the 3D model. Cam overlap, and long tubes, and other mods can make it seem like ridges and wierd peaks should form in the model, but if it looks offset from most other surrounding values, I would follow the lead of the trendsetters
Old 05-16-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EFILive has a new autotune feature that will dial in your VE automagically. Check out
this post on their forum...
Old 05-16-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS2win
EFILive has a new autotune feature that will dial in your VE automagically. Check out
this post on their forum...
Same feature as the AFR % error paste function on HPT, cool nonetheless though. And you still ought to hand smooth regardless of these auto functions, there will still be areas that don't fall completely inline and rather than do a global smooth factor that may take into account your extremeties, thus skewing other more stable adjustments, you can take care of the problem independently from other VE cells.

Last edited by txhorns281; 05-16-2005 at 06:12 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM
Launching!

Yea, I am using the autotune function and then smoothing.