Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Pump issues after new motor install..PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump issues after new motor install..PLEASE HELP!!!

Ok, car ran fine for about 20 minutes on first drive after new motor install..I just put a Walboro 255 in my 98 ws6, the car had 1/4 tank of gas when we left..After a few miles it cut out a few times then died..I checked the fuel pressure on the rail and it had air in the line, I tried to start it 3 times and it died after firing..I added 5 gallons of fuel and it runs great now, Im wondering if I have something installed wrong with teh pump, filter not right or something? Before ya flame me, I did not run out of gas, I put 5 gallons in it right before I dorve it and went only 8 miles..Help, opinions, anything..Thanks Tech..
Old 05-16-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is the pump filter all the way down on the tank floor. Did you cut the bottom out to install the 255. How did support the pump. We cut the bottom out of the bucket, cut four slots on the side and use plastic ties to hold the pump in place. You need to make sure the clamps on the rubber hose are really tight or the feed line will not hold good pressure.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokedls1
Is the pump filter all the way down on the tank floor. Did you cut the bottom out to install the 255. How did support the pump. We cut the bottom out of the bucket, cut four slots on the side and use plastic ties to hold the pump in place. You need to make sure the clamps on the rubber hose are really tight or the feed line will not hold good pressure.
Pump was WAY too high, we moved it down over 2".. The pump is supported with fuelline behind it as this is in a 98 and used other peoples installs to go by..Added another hose clamp to hold it in place on the reinstall as well..thanks for the reply, hope this helped out..Anyone know how low you can go on fuel with an aftermarket pump? Im hearing that they shouldnt be run low to keep form burning up the pump?? BUT, how low is too low??
Old 05-17-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

I run mine down to empty a lot and never had an issue. Halfway between a quarter and empty if you want to stay on the safe side. Glad you got it figured out though. Hows the new motor feel?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

well, it happened again today..I think I burnt the pump..Would the car still run but not have enough fuel if the pump got too hot??It has enough gas to start but wont drive..
Old 05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
On The Tree

I also changed the fuel filter again to make sure it wasnt clogged..
Old 05-17-2005, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

If it's too low it can do that. My friend took three tries to get his positioned right. What is the pressure at the rail with a guage?
Old 05-18-2005, 12:42 AM
On The Tree

If it's too low it can do that. My friend took three tries to get his positioned right. What is the pressure at the rail with a guage?
the fuel line slipped off the pump, we pulled the pressure at the rail and it was 25... Pulled the pump and found the line off, redid it with a longer line and reinstalled it and now its @ 60..Drove it around for awhile and its fine now, hopefully problem solved..
Old 05-18-2005, 12:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Glad to hear you finally got to drive it. The pump can be a real pain to deal with.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Glad to hear you finally got to drive it. The pump can be a real pain to deal with.
It sure has been..Hope its all worked out..I need to get some miles on it and get it to the dyno for some tuning..