Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My results from my first SD tune... tell me if I'm on the right track

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My results from my first SD tune... tell me if I'm on the right track

First off, thanks to all the members of this board that take the time to make it easier for everyone else. This is actually my first post regarding tuning after reading and searching since the arrival of my HP tuners last November. With everyone's help, I think I'm on my way to making a pretty decent tune.

Ok, took advantage of a long road trip to naples to work on my SD tune. I had the chance to get 3 50,000 frame logs to tune from. I think my trims are in line now. I tuned it up to 4400 rpms. I am going to be using the maf so no need to go any further. I haven't gone WOT while in SD mode until today. I did a short burst in 4th which got me some KR. After looking at the run, I'm losing fuel after 4800 rpms. Is this because I haven't tuned my VE table beyond 4400 and it is using the values which start to ramp down? Also a second question. I haven't done any STFT tuning as of yet. Do I still need to do it even if my LTFT are pretty much in line?

Next thing is to figure out how and what to log to get the maf table right. By the way this is a H/C gto with recently installed FAST 90/90 setup.

Here are the graphs:

Old 05-22-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Bueller..........anyone........
Old 05-22-2005, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

i may be wrong but i dont think you can do any SD tuning for WOT or anything above 4000 rpm because when you do that it will go into open loop.Your trims look pretty good just average them and copy and paste to your VE table and when your done smooth it once or twice at the most.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks redtail, I believe you just have to watch your foot or it will go into open loop. I think you can still tune SD above 4k but just have to be careful not to go more than 28%tps, or will throw you into PE. My question really was that if I just floor it and intentionally go into PE but didn't tune anything above 4,400rpms my pe table is going to be off correct? My car, like a stock car the VE values start dropping fast after 5K or so. I'm wondering if that's why I started to get some KR. If you look at the chart I posted the O2 mv start dropping quickly after 5k and I think this is my reason for the KR. For now I'll stay out of PE until I reconnect the MAF.

Anyone else that knows for sure, please chime in, I'd sure as heck like to know.

Dougie
Old 05-22-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i go wot all the time in sd and tune the ve table all the way to red line. as far as i know this is a must. then after u get the fuel trims in line, should be staying pretty much 0 at 4000+, then you can mess with the pe you get in certain cells. i just take a WOT run from lower rpms and get those a/f readings, all the values are at 100 kpa and i just adjust pe from there
Old 05-22-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

ok, so basically since I havne't tuned for map values past 4400 rpms and up in the 100kpa range I'll stay out of there. I have ve values as low as 70-80 in 100kpa range above 5k. Since PE will be referencing this (i think) I'll just get the maf back on and work on the maf table.
thanks,

Dougie
Old 05-22-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

i thought you still had to have the ve table set for those areas maf or not. this way if your maf does happen to fail on a wot run your car can at least run good still
Old 05-22-2005, 09:41 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

you should disable PE mode by setting your "PE enable MAP" to 640....
and you should also disable DFCO by setting the "DFCO enable normal" temp to 284
and "Max TPS% for table b" to 0
then you can tune LTFT's on the whole table....

I tuned my whole table and only had 1* of knock in 1 place using the stock Spark table with the valley in the peak torque reigion flattened back up to match the rest

oh and dont do more than 1 time of smoothing....
just do another drive if it still looks bad....
a few times of driving and smoothing once each time will come out looking nice and working well
Old 05-22-2005, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can't get that high into the table without going into PE mode. Who ever tuned my car previous to me only tuned the table under 4k. I believe the 4K and up range on the VE table is still stock , which wouldn't be sufficient for fueling a car with 140whp more than stock in the higher rpm range. So what you are saying makes sense. I guess I need to try and tune above 4k now. I thought I was done. That sucks.

Dougie
Old 05-22-2005, 09:57 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtodoug
I can't get that high into the table without going into PE mode. Who ever tuned my car previous to me only tuned the table under 4k. I believe the 4K and up range on the VE table is still stock , which wouldn't be sufficient for fueling a car with 140whp more than stock in the higher rpm range. So what you are saying makes sense. I guess I need to try and tune above 4k now. I thought I was done. That sucks.

Dougie

Like I said... you have to disable PE mode by doing some editing and reflashing your PCM... same for DFCO...
both as stated inmy post above
Old 05-22-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

i have not read much on disabling power enrich, i have been doing my tuning with PE enabled. can you make a WOT run with it off? what is the difference with it on and off?? will it still command 13:1 a/f ratio at higher rpms? i think i saw a table for this.

so if u tune with it off will the car still react good in high rpm (WOT) and what happens when you turn it back on? then you just adjust your fueling in the PE cells to get your desired a/f at the different rpm levels?
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 PM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
i have not read much on disabling power enrich, i have been doing my tuning with PE enabled. can you make a WOT run with it off? what is the difference with it on and off?? will it still command 13:1 a/f ratio at higher rpms? i think i saw a table for this.

so if u tune with it off will the car still react good in high rpm (WOT) and what happens when you turn it back on? then you just adjust your fueling in the PE cells to get your desired a/f at the different rpm levels?

Yes you can make a WOT run with it off... its still trying to hit 14.7 then....
once they are in line... you use PE Enrichment V8 Mult. vs RPM to get it right...
use a wideband to get it where you need it

star at 13.0 at the beginning..lean it to 12.9 at peak torque and richen back up to 13.1 at peak HP..then go just slightly richer above that and just a smidgen extar at fuel cutoff.limit point
Old 05-22-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

thank you sir
Old 05-23-2005, 01:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, soundengineer, I'll go back and tweek the upper rpm band of the VE table. You guys I assume just guess the very upper limit right? I can't imagine hanging around the 6400rpm area trying to hit all the cells. LOL...

So in short, it's a bad idea to be going WOT if I haven't tuned for it. Since my VE values above 4400rpms start to drop lower (ramping down) the fueling does the same. I guess it's probably also important to mention that I adjusted my PE table to 1.350 across the entire rpm range for safety. Up to 4400 rpms the 02 sensors re reporting rich as hell at 940-950mv. By 5000rpms they are at 890 and by 6000 had dropped down to 800mv.

I'm going to try and disable PE and DFCO and tweek the upper rpm range and report back. Any suggested gear to do this in? I used 3-6 gear to tweek up to 4400rpms. It's just easier in the higher gears because since there is more load on the motor and the gears on longer you get to spend more time in each cell making your tune more accurate. Only dowside is, I'd imagine you'd be speeding quite a bit.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:09 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by gtodoug
Ok, soundengineer, I'll go back and tweek the upper rpm band of the VE table. You guys I assume just guess the very upper limit right? I can't imagine hanging around the 6400rpm area trying to hit all the cells. LOL...

So in short, it's a bad idea to be going WOT if I haven't tuned for it. Since my VE values above 4400rpms start to drop lower (ramping down) the fueling does the same. I guess it's probably also important to mention that I adjusted my PE table to 1.350 across the entire rpm range for safety. Up to 4400 rpms the 02 sensors re reporting rich as hell at 940-950mv. By 5000rpms they are at 890 and by 6000 had dropped down to 800mv.

I'm going to try and disable PE and DFCO and tweek the upper rpm range and report back. Any suggested gear to do this in? I used 3-6 gear to tweek up to 4400rpms. It's just easier in the higher gears because since there is more load on the motor and the gears on longer you get to spend more time in each cell making your tune more accurate. Only dowside is, I'd imagine you'd be speeding quite a bit.

you can do teh upper ranges in 1st and 2nd gear...so you are not speeding..
and if your fuel cutoff is 6400...dont worry about trying to hit the 6400 cells...
just get the 5600 and try to get the 6000 cells...but If you are uncomfortable with hanging out in them then dont worry too much and just get them close...
If you think your upper cells are already way lean then give them a couple of extra points to be safe... make them fall in line with the trend you see from your lower cells that are just below it...(that way its safe for tuning )
Old 05-23-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

10-4 soundengineer. I'll report back later.

Dougie