Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Review of my Mcleod Single Disc clutch

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2005, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of my Mcleod Single Disc clutch

Hello Everyone,
Over the past week I had a Single Disk Mcleod clutch kit installed by the wonderful folks at F-body Central here in Maryland. Granted I only have 350 miles on the clutch so far, but I have one word for this clutch..... AWESOME!!!! There has been zero clutch chatter. The clutch engagement is as smooth as can be. I love this clutch compared to the stock one that I had. I can't wait to put the 500 miles on it so I can take to the track and see how it holds up to a few high RPM launches.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Good to hear....which single disk do you have? I have the Kevlar (flywheel side)/Organic(PP side) disk. They also make organic/organic and kevlar/kevlar...at least they used to. Mine has been in for almost 40k miles now and still holding like a champ. I went to the track a couple months ago and pulled some 1.7 60' times on drag radials and it didn't miss a beat.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I have the exact same clutch that you do were it is a mix. It's good to hear you have 40K miles and it's still going strong. My stocker made it to 80K before I had to replace it and I was hoping that this one would last half as long as the stock one.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

That's good to hear about no chatter. I was considering one but went with the Spec 3. How is the pedal pressure compared to stock or another aftermarket clutch?
Old 05-31-2005, 05:44 PM
9 Second Club

Same shop did mine, Kevlar/organic billet steel flywheel & SFI bell housing. Smooth from day one, has about 2000 miles & 40 or so passes at the track now. Working real good.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:23 AM
On The Tree

Pedal pressure is nice an firm. The clutch springs back up off of the floor nicely between shifts. This isn't to say that the clutch is rock hard either. My girlfriend has no problems driving the car and she is petite.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you checked the flywheel balance before you installed... I bought the single disk kit (kevlar/organic, billet steel flywheel, master cylinder) mine wasn't balanced properly and the clutch ended up getting fragged on a couple of 6k clutch dumps on slicks. Pulled it all out, pressure plate and disc were burnt up, flywheel had hotspots all over it. Put it on the balancing machine to be resurfaced, and you could hear the flatspot in it as it went around... I learned my lesson, I will always have the damn flywheel checked before installing.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

I'll have to ask the shop that did the install about that one. I know they have a very good relationship with Mcleod and install a lot of their products.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

Can you slip the clutch at all? or is it all or nothing? Jason said this is the way to go. I guess I'll be getting one soon. Did you get the SFI bell housing? I'm thinking about that too.

Glad to hear you like the Mcleod. They do great work at FBC.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

I didn't get the SFI Bell Housing. The clutch does grab pretty quick coming up off the floor. The first couple of times I drove the car I almost stallled. With my old clutch I could just about let the clutch all the way before needing to even give it a little gas before the rpm's would start to drop. Now if I start to let it out and don't bring the RPM's up a little the car will bog and stall out. This clutch definetly grabs a lot harder and faster than the stock piece. I'm hoping to take to the track this weekend. So far I have 490 miles on it. Once I hit 500 it's off to the track we go.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by M6HTZ
Can you slip the clutch at all? or is it all or nothing? Jason said this is the way to go. I guess I'll be getting one soon. Did you get the SFI bell housing? I'm thinking about that too.

Glad to hear you like the Mcleod. They do great work at FBC.
You can slip the clutch no problem, on my BFGs I launch at about 4K part throttle & ride the pedal while increasing gas until the end of 1st. By then I'm WOT & speed shifting into 2nd 3rd & 4th. The bell housing is a real good safety investment. Jason knows his stuff on EFI cars for sure.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 PM
9 Second Club

Those seem like really nice clutches but just real expensive.
Old 06-03-2005, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input. I am saving for the Mcleod setup. I am hoping that the stock clutch will last a few more months. I just had Jason install a 12 bolt. I still need a TQ arm and a clutch. I really want to do the SFI bell housing. I know its 400 more, but I like the piece of mind.

The Mcleod setup seems like a good deal when you think you consider all the parts.

See you at the track,

Don
Old 06-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Launching!

I've had the McLeod single for almost 2 years (kevlar/organic) and have been pretty pleased with it. It was stiff and grabby for the first 1000 or so miles, but loosened up pretty quick after that. No chatter for a long time, but lately it has started a bit after the car gets warm. Nothing serious, but you can feel it a little. I am having adjustable master cylinder issues since under hard throttle it is difficult or impossible to change gears, but hopefully I can get it ironed out soon with a serious re-bleed. This is a great daily driver clutch, but I could not recommend it for serious track cars. It is a perfect clutch for a hotter street car that goes to the track for 10-20 passes a season. A little expensive, but I have always been impressed with McLeod's quality.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:15 AM
Staging Lane

How would this clutch hold up to 370 hp and a 100 Shot? Prob only a couple of track passes a year?
Old 06-11-2005, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad you're enjoying you Mcleod. I, on the other hand, hate it. It was fine for the first 500 miles, but now the clutch pedal release point is all over the place. It would be the most frustrating thing to have to deal with on a daily basis, which makes me happy that this isn't my primary car. I really can't even stand to drive it any more. Hopefully you have better luck than I, and apparently alot of other folks, have had.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

I have a little over a 1,000 miles on the clutch now and everything is still great. I noticed a tiny bit of chatter when the clutch was extremely hot the other day ( our heat index was 100+) but it was very easy to control by reving it a little higher on take off. I got into extremly hard for the first time the other day and this thing hits like crazy. I was able to bark the tires in 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Simply amazing.

Quick Reply: Review of my Mcleod Single Disc clutch