Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Aftermarket 12-bolts, 9", whatever....why?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket 12-bolts, 9", whatever....why?

With so many complaints about the quality control and durability of the aftermarket 12-bolts, why is this such a great option for upgrading our cars?

Most people here seem to say that the 10-bolt is a piece of junk and that you shouldn't put any money into it...it seems to me that the same could be said about the 12-bolts. I keep reading about noisy this, and leaking that, and broken posi, and whining gears....paid another $1000 to fix my aftermarket 12-bolt cuz it was set up wrong. Why the hell would anyone pay $2500 to get a rear-end that has those kinds of problems?

Is it just the hard core drag racers that are breaking these things? And even if it is....isn't "hard core" the reason for upgrading in the first place? Why buy it if it can't take abuse?...that's the whole point!

I'm not pointing fingers...but I think the majority of aftermarket rear-ends aren't that great...and certainly aren't a good value.
I'd rather replace the posi in the 10-bolt for $700 than replace one in a 12-bolt that I already payed $2500 for.

Does anybody else feel the same way...or are bad reviews the only ones being posted?
Old 06-03-2005, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think, like clutches, that mostly only the complaints get posted. After reading many of these same posts, I decided to go w/ the 9"/35 spline/spool. Is it overkill for what I have now? Yes, but I know that I have a solid drivetrain that should be able to handle anything I can throw at it. I understand that a spool is too much for a DD, and may be too harsh for my fair weather car, but if it is, I can get another center section built for it w/a locker and be able to switch center sections in an hour or so.
I'll be installing it this weekend!

Last edited by SStillSSmokin; 06-03-2005 at 02:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

The bad reviews are the only ones you see. There are problems with the 12 bolts but, they will take more abuse than a 10 bolt ever could. With the whining, it depends on what gear manufacturer you use. Set up is key as well and Moser sets them up to not break and they will be louder. Moser says that's the way it is. I decided to go with Strange since they fully assemble tham and dyno test them. I have heard one incident where the rearend was trashed and had to be rebuilt.
Old 06-03-2005, 04:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NOBR8KSS
With so many complaints about the quality control and durability of the aftermarket 12-bolts, why is this such a great option for upgrading our cars?

Most people here seem to say that the 10-bolt is a piece of junk and that you shouldn't put any money into it...it seems to me that the same could be said about the 12-bolts. I keep reading about noisy this, and leaking that, and broken posi, and whining gears....paid another $1000 to fix my aftermarket 12-bolt cuz it was set up wrong. Why the hell would anyone pay $2500 to get a rear-end that has those kinds of problems?

Is it just the hard core drag racers that are breaking these things? And even if it is....isn't "hard core" the reason for upgrading in the first place? Why buy it if it can't take abuse?...that's the whole point!

I'm not pointing fingers...but I think the majority of aftermarket rear-ends aren't that great...and certainly aren't a good value.
I'd rather replace the posi in the 10-bolt for $700 than replace one in a 12-bolt that I already payed $2500 for.

Does anybody else feel the same way...or are bad reviews the only ones being posted?

I highly agree with you! I am not about to spend $2200-$2500 on something that i read so many bad reviews about. plus, a 6 week wait on some of them, FAWK that!

I wish someone would come out with a spool for the 7.5" 10 bolt!
Old 06-03-2005, 04:36 PM
11 Second Club

10bolts, 12bolts, 9", 8.8".....they can all be broken so dont let anyone tell you it's bulletproof. A broken 10bolt totalled my ss camaro. Locked up at 50mph, hello ditch & electric pole. I've seen a few 10 second cars with 10bolts that haven't had any problems but personally if i had a car going that fast i would spend the extra money and beef up the rearend, not only for more strength but for safety aswell (don't need crap breaking at 120+mph).

If you take your car to the track often then a beefy rearend would be money well spent. You gotta pay to play, how fast do you wanna go?
Old 06-03-2005, 05:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SScottie
10bolts, 12bolts, 9", 8.8".....they can all be broken so dont let anyone tell you it's bulletproof. A broken 10bolt totalled my ss camaro. Locked up at 50mph, hello ditch & electric pole. I've seen a few 10 second cars with 10bolts that haven't had any problems but personally if i had a car going that fast i would spend the extra money and beef up the rearend, not only for more strength but for safety aswell (don't need crap breaking at 120+mph).

If you take your car to the track often then a beefy rearend would be money well spent. You gotta pay to play, how fast do you wanna go?
You'll find that most of the cars running 10 bolts and goin low 12's or faster are autos. The reason your car is totaled is the exact reason why I plan on gettin a 12 bolt. That had to suck. I can handle the rear blowing to pieces on me as long as it keeps rolling. But I would never want to see the rearend under my car or anyone elses for that matter lock up. Atleast your still in one piece and lived to build a better one. I dont have a 12bolt yet but I'm working on it.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you have a stick get a 9".
Old 06-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Launching!

i think its all hype. i bought a 12 bolt because everyone said it was a wise thing to do...i totally regret it..mine whines..clunks.. and it only has 5k on it. its a moser.

if i had to do it all over again..i would of just kept my 10 bolt.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:02 AM
11 Second Club

honestly... i plan on running 9.90's with a 10bolt in the car.. lighter more efficient.. im waiting for somone to make a spool.. or like redo something to make them 25-30% stronger anyways.. then ill be happy.. ive left on the 150 shot off the line plenty of times.. and now that ive added the cam im looking for 1.5x 60fts.. i know of two guys runnign 1.4x 60fts.. one is spraying 100 off the line on his heads cam 6sp car leaving about 4000rpms and running 6.70 1/8th miles with get this, a 4.30 gear!!! talk about shoulda broke a long time ago right? but its still holding strong! i think some get lucky and others dont.. but with a t/a cover and some strong noisy but strong gears like richmond, its possible for it to last a lil while! and when and if they ever do make a spool.. well id pay 1000$ for my 10bolt to be 25% stronger then say for a 12 bolt that might be 40% stronger.. its heavy, and inefficient..

now i bet you dont here as many problems outta this new bolt in dana 60 design.. but once again..it will cost 2+k im sure...
Old 06-04-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

LS1_PNYTAMR, have you ever looked at the ring gear for a 7.5" 10bolt with 4.10's? If you see how fragile it looks, you would never even think about putting 4.30's in one. The Higher the gear ratio, the weaker the teeth are. A 7.5" 4.10 looks scary weak. I was going to upgrade my 10 bolt, I bought a brand new Auburn Pro posi, TA cover & Motive 4.10's. As soon as I saw how thin the ring gear was, I immideatly bought a 12 bolt. I sold all of the stuff to build the 10 bolt for a big loss & still feel like I saved money, because the 10 bolt wouldn't have lasted 3 passes the way I drive with slicks.

I would be really surprised if anyone got more than 5 6k clutch dumps on slicks out of a 4.30 geared 7.5" 10 bolt.

I have a buddy that ran very consistant 1.4x & 1.5x 60's with his 10 bolt, but after 5 rebuilds, he finally went 8.8". He's running an auto also, so his rear never saw anything like what I do with the ET Streets & 6k+ dumps. Save your money & time & go 8.8", 9" or noisy *** 12 bolt.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:54 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by pewterta
i think its all hype. i bought a 12 bolt because everyone said it was a wise thing to do...i totally regret it..mine whines..clunks.. and it only has 5k on it. its a moser.

if i had to do it all over again..i would of just kept my 10 bolt.
I wouldn't say it is all hype. Have you ever been 2 1/2 hours from home and broken a 10 bolt? Let me tell you.....it's not fun sitting there waiting for the trailer ride home. Yeah, I know of people running 1.4's and haven't broken YET. I also know of people breaking on 1.7 60's.

I've broken two 10 bolts and I have an auto. Once you break that first you worry everytime you go to burn out or launch. Not much fun.

To the nonbelievers ( I was one too) your 10 bolt will break evenyually. Could be the next pass or 100 launches later. How lucky do you feel?

I will be buying a 9 inch very soon.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

lucky seeing as i dont have enuff money to spend 2200+$ on a rearend.... i am seriously considering buying a spare 10 bolt tho with just a stock gear.. i see them everywhere for about 300$... put it in the truck, if mine breaks, swap it in place and drive home and drive to work while im rebuilding the other one again. atleast until i win the lotto this is my plan

oh and jay i saw u break yours that one time at jackson for that import domestic thing.. 4200 converter definetly had a hand in that one.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

What are all the downsides of the 9"? I know they're heavy, use more hp, and I don't think you can retain your abs. Is there anything else? I don't think they whine as bad or as much as 12 bolts. And they are really strong.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by blue01ta
What are all the downsides of the 9"? I know they're heavy, use more hp, and I don't think you can retain your abs. Is there anything else? I don't think they whine as bad or as much as 12 bolts. And they are really strong.
You can keep the ABS if you have 4-channel, but if you have 3 you can either get rid of it, or do one of those custom-setups I've seen people do over at Camaroz28.com
Old 06-04-2005, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
lucky seeing as i dont have enuff money to spend 2200+$ on a rearend.... i am seriously considering buying a spare 10 bolt tho with just a stock gear.. i see them everywhere for about 300$... put it in the truck, if mine breaks, swap it in place and drive home and drive to work while im rebuilding the other one again. atleast until i win the lotto this is my plan

oh and jay i saw u break yours that one time at jackson for that import domestic thing.. 4200 converter definetly had a hand in that one.
Take that $300 and put it towards a 9 inch...

You can get a housing with axels for around $800-$900. If you go with 31 spline you can get a center section for a good price. (check out ebay)

You don't need to spend $2400 for a fully assembled 9 inch......

I've been down that road before JP....swapping out rears way more times than I wanted to....and then you can't get **** for those broken 10 bolts. It drove me nuts not racing for a bit but I've saved enough up for a 9 inch and it will be in very soon.

All I'm saying is.......it will be nice to just go out and race without worrying about the 10 bolt holding up. Once you break one you will understand.
Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

well i just invested 260$ for richmond gears and a richmond install kit.. about 320$+ anywhere else.. just have to give it a shot myself ya know... guess ill be learning the hard way huh. honestly i dont have much faith in this 10 bolt, im trying too, but i doubt it will last long.. only good thing i got going for me is the 3000 converter is all im running.. and black8bangers held up with that stall/cam and ran good! now the question is can mine do the same for a while
Old 06-05-2005, 07:45 AM
11 Second Club

for example.. i bent the **** outta my stock tq arm that was welded up and reinforced nicely! really cant believe it bent, but the rear is intact?!
Old 06-05-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1_PNYTAMR
well i just invested 260$ for richmond gears and a richmond install kit.. about 320$+ anywhere else.. just have to give it a shot myself ya know... guess ill be learning the hard way huh. honestly i dont have much faith in this 10 bolt, im trying too, but i doubt it will last long.. only good thing i got going for me is the 3000 converter is all im running.. and black8bangers held up with that stall/cam and ran good! now the question is can mine do the same for a while
I was thinking about doing the same thing with 4:10's. I already have the TA girdle. I have an m6 though. But the car will never go to the track with the 10 bolt in it (hopefully I can resist). If that set up gets me through this summer I'll be happy.
Old 06-05-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you all think the 10 bolt is the only viable option, go ahead and live a fantasy. Put it through enough passes, enough abuse, and it will snap, ESPECIALLY if you have a M6. Thats just the way it is.

12bolts and 9" whine, a little, but what aftermarket part thats designed to take hell and keep going doesn't have a downside? My suspension transmits more road noise, my headers allow more engine noise due to the thinner sidewall....et cetera. These are things to learn to live it. As is the rear end.

If you get the rear end setup by the right people, its not going to be an issue. It just won't be. Some brands are better than others. If you have a whining issue, get someone to check the clearances and such, you should be fine.

I run a Moser 9", full spool, 35 spline gundrilled axles, the whole nine yards. Other than being slightly tempermental for a DD, I'm not worried about breaking it. I also plan on a locker to make things a little more livable. 9" are great imho. I've known folks w/12bolts that don't have a problem at all as well.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Launching!

I finally made it to the track after my 4.10 install on 10 bolt, ran a 12.20 @112 w/ a 1.87 60. Second pass sheared all of the teeth off the ring and pinion. Strange gears, 4k launch w/ et streets.