Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

1st Race in LS1...With an M3

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1st Race in LS1...With an M3

I was on my way home to lunch and pulled up to the stoplight with a shiny red M3 to the left of me. Didn't feel much like racing since I'm sick as a dog and was trying to keep my nose from running all over me.

The light changes and he leaves the light with a lot of revs, throwing down the glove. I match his pace to show I'm in it and then we hit it. He was already in the revs and got about half a fender jump on me. We were pretty much close until second gear, where he got another foot or two ahead. We went a little ways further and he wasn't pulling on me.

Traffic was coming up and I had to make my right turn so that was the end of it. I don't know much about M3s....did I do ok?

It was all over so quickly...but it was great fun!
Old 06-09-2005, 02:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it depends which generation of M3 you raced. If it was the most recent 333hp version, then you did fine. Well driven, they run low 13s. If it was the previous generation with 240hp, then you did absolutely terrible.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I see your point. I've been looking for what year it was but as close as I could tell it was a 97-ish M3. They're supposed to be about a full second slower I think. Maybe I oughta change my plugs or something...I think they're original to the 72k mile car!

We didn't go very far, so it was rather inconclusive. Dunno. Maybe I'll see him again soon.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 06-09-2005 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

There's a huge difference between the two for sure. I know the 333hp version redlines at 8000rpm which is .
Old 06-10-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My truck can keep up with them without a launch so you should be able to gain some ground on them. If I launch then it's pretty much over. I've raced a new M3 so thats what I'm basing this on. Not sure how good the driver was though, but he wasn't horrible.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was pretty close, what there was of it. Like I said it all happened so fast! I'm still sick, and things are kinda fuzzy.

It was noon-time at an intersection in town. If it was my boy doing this I'd have his car keys for it. We were real close for about 50-60 yards before we caught up to traffic and had to manuever. If there'd been more space it would've been a real race.

I have no idea whether he had an mods, I know I sure don't. It sounded like he had an aftermarket exhaust, at least. Sounded real tinny. It was real clean and it looked like he might have had some extra dough to put into it.

At any rate, I didn't get my butt beat and we gave the folks behind us a good show for a few seconds. I hope they appreciated it. I'd have almost paid good money to see something going on...traffic is usually so boring.

Last edited by Mr Incredible; 06-10-2005 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It prolly affected your shifting and reactions being sick, because you shoulda edged him out.
Old 06-10-2005, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an A4, and had it in drive. I think it didn't downshift but I can't remember.

He really had me beat in the shine department. It's been raining so much here I haven't washed it for weeks. I prolly have ten extra pounds on the car just in bugs and brake pad dust, let alone all the kleenex in the trash...
Old 06-10-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya, didn't pay attention to the whole auto thing, my bad
Old 06-11-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yea it sounds like it was one of the 333 HP M3's. My good buddy has an 03 M3 convertable (heavier than the coupe) and I usually edge him out by a couple of car lengths but I have headers, catback, and an M6. If your auto trans didnt kick down for you then that would probably lead to the results that you experienced. A well driven LS1 should be a well driven M3 (stock for stock), but that has just been my experience and all my races with my buddy have been close so my guess is that it was one of the newer M3's. Nice race though and pick up a stall for your car and some headers, it will help a ton.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks. All that mod stuff is on my list of things to do - just not as high up as mortgage, eating, and gas to get to work...
Old 06-12-2005, 01:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ya, bills are a bitch aren't they. If you didn't get the kick down then that would explain the outcome, you shoulda pulled a bit on him.