Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG problem today

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIG problem today

Alright I need to run a couple ideas by people more knowledgable than myself. I was driving home from work today when:
I was starting from a stop at a light and my engine "blipped", power loss and then it revved right back up, so i thought maybe i let the clutch out too fast. No problem kept driving, well then I got to a cruising speed, tapped the gas a little bit and it really dropped off, came back, dropped off, came back and stayed, so i turned into my neighborhood and it started to do it again, the oil pressure dropped to zero and my check gauges light flicked on so i immediately killed the engine and coasted over to the side of the road. I checked oil and coolant, no problems there. (Interesting point to mention, the tube for the dipstick smoked a little when i pulled the dipstick out, don't think thats normal), well I got out called my mom and had her stear as I pushed the car home the rest of the way, (.75 of a mile in 96 deg F, grumble grumble ).
Other points to mention, a couple days ago I did the throttle body bypass, no leaks, everything still looked good there. I also did the !EGR mod, where you just cut down the little piece that sticks into the manifold.
My first thought on the main road was fuel pump, but then when my oil pressure dropped I thought oil pump, or computer. I'm really at a loss here, and I don't have any diagnostics tool to monitor sensor output. The car did not throw an SES either. Just a check gauges.
So I'm at a loss and a little pissed that my mod money might be promoted into repair money......
Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you out of gas? Just kidding although that's what it sounds like except for the 0 oil pressure part. When the pressure dropped to zero was the engine still running or was it dead at that point? My rpm's sometimes drop to like 500 rpm when starting it (big cam, ported TB, and not the best tune) and the pressure drops pretty low. If it was reading zero and you were still turning some RPM's then that's an oil pump problem. Smart on shutting it down immediately and pushing it home...good thing you were close to your house!
Old 06-14-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

the engine dying is what caused the no oil pressure and check guage light. how many mile on the engine? to disregard the oil pump, pull the injector fuses and crank the car for about 5 to 7 seconds, if oil pressure builds, the oil pump is good
Old 06-14-2005, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I cant help with what exactly it might be, but I'm betting it's not good.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-14-2005 at 11:21 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One more thing...was it actual smoke from the dipstick tube or was it vapor escaping? If I remember right I may have noticed some vapor escaping a while back when I pulled the tube and the oil was really hot (operating temperature).
Old 06-14-2005, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

its normal to see a SMALL whiff of smoke out the dipstick tube on older engines. its just hyrocarbons in the oil plus a little blowby that burn off and didn't get sucked up by the PCV system. have you checked the usual stuff? made sure every sensor was plugged back in good? good battery/ alternator voltage? if you don't have at least a cheap auto store multimeter, get one. also what red99 said, do you have fuel?

well??

Last edited by slowpoke96z28; 06-14-2005 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:19 PM
On The Tree

Ok, heres the run-down
  • I have gas (provided the gauge is right, but I should have plenty because i reset my trip religiously when i refill and its only around 130mi)
  • The "smoke" out of the dip stick was just a little whisp, so I guess thats ok. (could have been vapor too, not sure)
  • I have plenty of coolant
  • The oil pressure dropped and i killed the engine within seconds cause I thought bad bad thoughts, but the oil pressure did drop first
More info about the car
2000 LS1, with 37000 mi.
Mods are:
Ported MAF
MAF-T
Lid
filter
free ram air
custom exhaust
!EGR
short stick (not that it should matter here)

Other things to mention, though I'm not sure how relevent they are,
it was somethign like 95 deg here, but the car was always moving, so i can't see overheating. Engine temp was nominal. Oil pressure is usually around 60, higher when revving (of course).
I did restart the car, later, and shut it down within 10 seconds, but gauges were all up to normal, no check light on. I really want to get a more definate idea of what it is before i actually run the car.

Thanks for the responses everyone, I'll try the cranking it with the ign fuses out and keep you posted! (Oh, and sorry for the delayed response, I'm a pistons fan and couldn't tear myself away!)

Another question too, if it is the oil pump, why was I experiencing the power loss on the throttle like that?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you restarted it and there was no check gages light, did you have oil pressure?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
When you restarted it and there was no check gages light, did you have oil pressure?
Yeah, right at or below 60 or so. Which is normal for me
Old 06-15-2005, 06:33 AM
On The Tree

If it was the oil pump, why was the throttle pulsing like that, it was severe power loss, and then back. Seemed to happen at 2500 rpms and up kind of thing. Also, if it was the oil pump what am I looking at as far as repair costs, (I'm assuming thats not something a novice like myself can do)
Old 06-15-2005, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

I am novice to LS1s as it gets and I just did cam, springs, oil pump, and timing chain.
Thanks to install university.
Keep an eye on that oil pressure, your pump could be on its way out.

Just an idea but check the spark plugs, especially if they have never been changed.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

my plugs and wires have not been changed since i've had the car. I've had it for two years and about 7k miles. I've been thinking about doing plugs and wires but quite honestly fearing it.... I'm going to try pulling the ign fuses when i get off of work, and if it is the oil pump, i'll drop the pan this weekend.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

any more suggestions for troubleshooting anyone?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Fuel Filter!...........
Old 06-15-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

My fuel pump gave out once while I was driving, had plenty of fuel so my gauge was right, started bucking and kicking then just shut off. Was you car in the process of shutting off (bucking and kicking) cause that may explain the 0 Oil pressure?
Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Another thought would be the !EGR mod. By that do you mean you had it completely removed? Or just cut the tube shorter where it sticks into the manifold? I have heard of people cutting it too short and the assembly there falls a part (so to speak) so that the O-Ring will not seal correctly and sucks air in. Might have a look into that if that is the way you did it.

Otherwise if it was removed, you would have had it tuned to remove the EGR codes. In which case, I would probably take it back to the tuner about the power loss problem. Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Just an idea, but please check the positive cables on the fuse box and the alternator. If you have a loose connection, the car may run, but the guages will act flakey and such. Just piece of mind to know that isn't an issue. Alos check the grounds to the black on each side.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
My fuel pump gave out once while I was driving, had plenty of fuel so my gauge was right, started bucking and kicking then just shut off. Was you car in the process of shutting off (bucking and kicking) cause that may explain the 0 Oil pressure?

Same here. But when that happens you still have power and your gauges work, your car just dies cuz its not getting the fuel, that doesnt seem to be his case. In this case my battery cables were loose, well the positive was loose and it kept shutting the car off and the guages would cut off so maybe that is your problem. Something wrong with the battery?!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

I changed fuel filter last summer and its only been about 2k miles since then. Tonight I'm checking oil pump, by removing ign fuses (as stated above), battery output, cable connections, sensor connections, oil pressure sensor connection, oil level, coolant level, any other things to check?
New plugs and wires go in this weekend.
The !EGR mod was done by cutting the downtube, but I only cut it at that groove, so there is still a quarter inch or so inside the manifold (like installuniversity's job).
Question about that though, does the egr downtube generally have a bolt on both sides or just the driver's side? Mine only has a bolt on the driver's side to hold it down. Seems odd to me but its been that way since I got the car.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:52 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds electrical, loss of power for no apparent or could be vacuum leak. re-check your egr work and look at the connections around your work area, make sure nothing is loos or pinched. All the trouble started after your mods right?