Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

104+ octane booster causes misfires/fouls plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 104+ octane booster causes misfires/fouls plugs

I'm currently in Kansas. The best pump gas they have here is 91 octane. I've put like 3 bottles of 104+ in my tank with fill ups. I did not know if 91 octane would cause detonation on the 100 shot. Better to be safe right. Wrong I had 6000 miles on those ngk tr6 plugs. Fouled plugs and misfires were the result. No more 104+ for me. Any one else had the same problem?
Old 06-15-2005, 02:48 PM
10 Second Club

Misfires with octane booster can be a pretty common problem. The plugs get this redish brown coating on them and they will start to misfire. It usually takes alot more than a few tanks of gas with it though, maybe since the TR-6s are colder it happens quicker. I would invest in a way to pull timing instead of buying octane booster. Your not running the HPP3 tune with nitrous are you? If you really want to continue to run an octane booster give Torco a try. It seems to be the only one out there that really works like it should.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by (A)SS WHIPER
I'm currently in Kansas. The best pump gas they have here is 91 octane. I've put like 3 bottles of 104+ in my tank with fill ups. I did not know if 91 octane would cause detonation on the 100 shot. Better to be safe right. Wrong I had 6000 miles on those ngk tr6 plugs. Fouled plugs and misfires were the result. No more 104+ for me. Any one else had the same problem?
Yeah, here in California the highest octane we have is 91. My Z runs great with it, I've never used octane booster before, and now after reading your post I never will

Last edited by bearcatpride; 06-22-2005 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

store bought octane boosters are a joke. if it says itll raise the octane by 4 points, it means itll turn your pump 91 into 91.4, so it does nothing really. i just posted to someone looking for at least 104 octane...you can add some paint chemicals to pump gas to make it race gas. like 30% acteone and pump 92 or 93 will give you 108. theres also some chemicals called toulene and xylene that in 30% mix will raise you to pump 108ish. this is real octance boost, not pu$$y boost. do a search on it, you can also go to some turbo buick site and do a search for octane booster or the chemicals i listed abve. i knwo there are a couple other chem too...
Old 06-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by (A)SS WHIPER
Did you use the Off-road or o2friendly product? I know they don't label their
products clearly. I read the front and back of containers to make sure and
I've used only once.

Quick Reply: 104+ octane booster causes misfires/fouls plugs