Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I got some good feedback today that might be of interest. . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Default I got some good feedback today that might be of interest. . . .

A colleage of mine used Morel hyd rollers in a twin engine boat project. These are 509CID BBC with Pro Chargers. The customer aggreed to do some experimenting so 1 engine has the Morel std Hyd and the other the HLT's (limited travel). Dyno results were close, the engine with the HLT's made about 9 more HP but for all intents and purposes on a blown 500 incher that could be atributed to anything. Anyway. The engines were set in and in the boat is where the difference is. The HLT engine is much "throatyer" and much more responsive. Also the HLT engine has all the accessories hung on it, alt for battery system, power steering pump for hyd steering, and raw water pump for cooling both engines. Even with all the accessories which should draw around 20HP out of the engine, if he hits the throttles while running around 3500 rpm, the engines rpm equally. So the HLT engine is not affected by the load that much.

It's not everyday you can run 2 different lifters sets in the same application and get this kind of data so I thought I would share. The valving and the HLT system used in this application are the same in the LS1/LS6 lifters.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very interesing comparison Chris. Thanks for posting this up. Is thare any difference in engine oil pressure between the two different style lifters?

Richard
Old 06-21-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Richard,
As observed on the dyno information (2nd hand), no. The HLT's should be good for a guy looking for a max effort hyd roller engine that is going to see around 4 to 5K miles a year and has a good valvetrain set up for 7K rpm shifts.

FYI, got your second message and gotcha covered on those also. Should see your stuff in the latter part of this week.

Chris