Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to install heads and cam...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to install heads and cam...

im fixin to order a cam for my car (already got the heads) and i want to just have someone else install the stuff but i think it will cost a ton...so far i have done all the work on my car but i realize they have just been bolt ons..i will have help if i decide to do it..also i think im gonna stick with the stock oil pump and timing chain since my motor only has 9500 miles on it..do you guys think that will be ok? and do i need to buy new gaskets or can i re-use old ones? thanks!
Old 06-23-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would get new gaskets...i mean your in there already right? the timeing chain should be fine. i would like to know how hard it is as well! is there a write up on a H/C swap anywhere?
Old 06-23-2005, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

www.ls1howto.com has a heads/cam writup. I used their cam swap writeup. I have a link in my sig to a thread with other helpfull information on the cam swap.

I don't know on the head swap, havn't done that, but the cam swap is totally doable.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:08 AM
FormerVendor

the head swap isn't so bad. Just make sure that you have about 4 open days to work on it if it is your first time. Just avoid costly mistakes like breaking the oil pressure sending unit, and be careful with the threads in the block. Make sure you clean them out by grinding an old head bolt down on 1/2 of the threads, and thread it into the block to clean the threads. Then put a straw in a shop vac and tape it off so all the suction is coming through the straw, and stick the straw into the block threads to suck all of the debris out of the threads. Do this for EVERY hole just to make certain that you are being safe. If this is your first time, just make yourself a window of time to attempt this. You can not get it done in a day, and you should not rush it.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:42 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

ls1howto.com like metioned above
Old 06-24-2005, 12:55 AM
11 Second Club

Never re-use Head bolts
Old 06-24-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Worst part is scraping all the old head gasket off. Gotta makes sure its ultra clean but you have to be really carful about damaging the surface. Even with head gasket remover it still sucks. My motor had 60k miles on it so maybe they were more baked on than your 9.5k mile motor, but i dont know. The crappy part about mine was that I was putting the stock heads back on . But really its not that bad, just dont rush it and replace all the old stock stuff that you can while your there.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:29 AM
TECH Addict

You might get away with not swapping the rocker cover "O" rings and the water pump and timing cover gastket, but it's best to have them on hand just in case. You can get a complete head swap gasket kit from SDPC for a good price and it has the locator dowels and the little steam tube gaskets included. GM charges $20 for those little tiny "O" ring gaskets even though they probably cost a few cents to produce. The bolt holes MUST be clean and dry(no water). Make your own thread chaser using one of the old bolts. Just grind one side flat on your bench grinder and run it thru all the holes after removing the debris. Take your time. Make SURE everything is VERY clean.
Old 06-24-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

not that hard.been there done that.do it yourself and good luck.you will feel better after you start it the first time knowing you did it yourself.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The guys have pretty much covered it, I just want to add:
1- Make sure you have the right tools. (that will save a ton of time)
2- A wet shop vac
3- Use the TDC method for spring change if only cam swap, with heads don't worry.
4- Have a nice clean organised area to work, lots of Zip lock bags and tall zip ties (to keep stuff out of the way)
5- Check ckeck and triple check everything.
6- Some first aid basics, like band aids and alcohol to treat cuts and scrapes