Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Convertible Top Washing: What Brush leaves no lint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 11:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Convertible Top Washing: What Brush leaves no lint?

I haven't yet found anything to "scrub" my top with that doesn't leave a mess behind.

Those brushes that are "safe for paint" have "frayed" ends that leave debris and forget about any kind of cotton cloth - that is a disaster.

The only cool cleaning method that really works is the sticky lint roller which really pulls the debris out.

I do have a small, cheap, stoopid brush that is 100% vinyl and has soft vinyl bristles. Obviously, there is nothing to flake off, however, this little brush is about 2" x 0.5" and would be silly to use.

Any specific suggestions regarding a brush? (there may be a microfibre towel that might work - the "waffle" kind perhaps?)

Thanks
Old 06-24-2005, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a soft bone sponge with top cleaner applied to it, and I never lift up not even a molecule of lint, just straight-up clean!
Old 06-24-2005, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This might sound dumb but when i scrub my top and it isnt often, i let it dry then go over it with a lent roller afterwards, looks real clean and takes a few mins to do.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:23 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

when my dad had his ss convert, he bought one of those 3M sticky rollers for clothing. it is made to pick up lint and they last forever. i suppose you could find them at target or walmart....the roller is made of disposable sticky paper so once it is full of lint, just peel it off and you're set to go again. worked awesome, even for the interior carpet and trunk felt...

my .02
Old 06-24-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go buy a bigger scrubbing brush w/ soft bristles...... use some scotch guard when your done....
Old 06-24-2005, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I live by the "sticky roller!"

What is this "bone sponge?"

I'm haven't looked specifically, but someone should sell a brush specific for tops. I mean they sell brushes for just about every part of a car, eh?

Is it me, or are they price gouging for those stoopid sticky rollers? Walmart wanted about $9 for a roller w/2 replacements. I mean its really only masking tape.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

WAAAT... walmart has those things for .99 cents, get the el-cheapo's there the same thing.... I use them for getting rid of dog hair around the house.....
Old 06-24-2005, 01:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

yah the cheap lint rollers from wal mart work great
Old 06-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, 99 cents would be great, but at the new Super Walmart, it was weird. Only high end lint rollers and you could only buy dish towels by the dozen.

Went to Big Lots, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Its a Buck.... and yeah, you could get one for $1 but it barely had anything on it. This stuff should be cheaper than dirt.

Oh well, another "PostIt" product.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:54 PM
TECH Addict

well you know they accually have them w/ no sticky paper to rip off, its like one of those stick anywhere stickers and when it gets full of lint you just rince it under water and everything comes off, I'm not sure of the price of those ones though you would never have to replace shat...
Old 06-24-2005, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

haha, no sticky paper to rip off? ...the technology just keeps advancing!

I don't know how they work but I suspect you have to dry them before using them again.

If that is true, wouldn't be practical because I have to use about 5 refreshes to do my top.

I did determine that a microfibre cloth does not leave residue (the $10 blue/white pack from Sam's) and I think it actually pulls dirt out of the "canvas."
Old 06-25-2005, 12:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We use clear packing tape to remove the lint residue off our top. Only takes about three strips to do the whole top. Leaves no tape residue behind.
Old 06-25-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ultra el-cheapos from wall mart suck. Get a better roller and you will save just from not wasting the tearoffs. Cheapies just don't tear off as good as the better ones.

Just my .o2. Thats what I do.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Reading this makes me so glad my top's tan instead of black. I can't see the lint on mine!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:18 AM
Staging Lane

Haha, so I'm really cleaning up my convertible because I'm selling it and while I've always washed my cars fairly regularly, I simply don't detail anything while I'm using them.

So I've got the car all really nice and clean and am going to shampoo the rugs. So I start in the back and say, "Hey, I'll put the top down so its easier to work on."

HaHa, when I put the top down, all these "other surfaces" are now exposed and need detailed! With a convertible, you probably spend at least another 50% of the time it takes to do the interior. Definitely extra maintenance.

just found another thing I need to figure out: is there any way to get small scuff marks from the interior plastic panels (like the side panels by the rear seat?)

...and I must complain again about the absolutely worst thing about the gen 4 f-body: cleaning the front windshield interior. Its so faaaaaaaaaar away, you almost need a special tool to get out there!. Any tricks?

Last edited by squid; 06-26-2005 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:15 AM
TECH Addict

armor all glass wipes!
Old 06-26-2005, 12:14 PM
Staging Lane

ArmorAll Glass Wipes? Boy, if that product works as good as their other products! (BTW, I still totally believe in the original ArmorAll and DO NOT like any of the HIGH GLOSS stuff that people put on their interiors and ESPECIALLY TIRES!!!!! Gloss tires, to me, look like, "Ewww! Those tires have brake fluid all over them!" ArmorAll on tires, I think is the best finish to simulate a brand new tire.

My neighbor was a glass cleaner and the trick formula for the cleaning solution was: add just enough SpicNSpan to make the water slippery between your fingers.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Washing: What Brush leaves no lint?