Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Wheels... Whatcha think?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 10:43 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wheels... Whatcha think?

Ok guys I'm thinkin about new wheels and I really like a good 5-spoke. So I've kinda fallen for the American Racing Rebel. 18x10 chrome wheel. Here are some pics, luckily working at les schwab I can get a good price on it. Tires would be 275/35-18

Here's a couple pics of them on travws6's car

Old 06-27-2005, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Honestly? I am not a big fan of them, on or off the car. BUT if YOU like them, then that is all that matters.
Old 06-27-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Josh, photoshop them onto a pict of your car as it is now. That would give you a better idea how it would really look because....it might look a little "off"? on your car?
IMOO
Old 06-27-2005, 11:58 AM
12 Second Club

I'd just need to lower it a bit, there is a bit of fender gap with the 18's but I'll remedy that farely soon after getting them.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Resident

I think they're too bling bling. I can picture you with a big gold chain on your neck with a 5 lb cross hahahaha.... no offense man.... It's just not for me.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:17 PM
12 Second Club

I don't see how they'd be too bling. The spokes are just as wide as FM5's or anything along those lines for 5-spokes. Granted the 18" Z06's don't seem so big because they're a split spoke design that seems to "fill" the gaps between spokes more.

That and I like a good deep lip
Old 06-27-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by rookiels1
I don't see how they'd be too bling. The spokes are just as wide as FM5's or anything along those lines for 5-spokes. Granted the 18" Z06's don't seem so big because they're a split spoke design that seems to "fill" the gaps between spokes more.

That and I like a good deep lip
Just realized.....I'm not the person to listen to on this because I'm still waiting for "baby moons" to be repro'd again.

Why yes, I am sick thankyouverymuch
Old 06-27-2005, 12:31 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My only complaint about 18" wheels is that the brake rotors look too small once you have them on the car.

I personally don't think they look "great" but don't think they look "terrible" either.. I don't think they are the ones I would choose, myself, but if you like them that's all that counts.

If I was going with a AR wheel, it would be a TT2.
Old 06-27-2005, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

That is a good looking wheel, I like the deep dish.

Couple of things to consider with 18" wheels you use a lower profile tire 17" wheels with 45's look good on F-bodies. I have 18" 40's on front, 35's on back take a look. How much of the rotor/hat do you see, ZR-1's, Z06 Wheels hide alot more than do C-5's
Old 06-27-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the wheels by themselves, they look awesome But something just doesn't look right on the car IMO. After thinking about it for awhile I realized what it was. It is the widened out attachment point at the rim that ruins it for me. If the spokes attached directly to the rim, without those wide adapter attachment things I'd think that it was a "10" for sure. Something about how it flairs out at the rim looks kind of funny imo.

Like others have said though, if you like it, then buy it. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks We all WILL give you our honest opinions if you ask for them though. That's what friends are for ......
Old 06-27-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know what, I think Bill hit the nail on the head about the attachment thing on the spokes. I was looking at them and was thinking, "They look pretty good... except there's something not right about them." Couldn't put my finger on it until Bill mentioned them... when you're looking at them on the car, those attachments really stand out... almost look like feet on the end of the spokes, which doesn't look too great IMHO.

But then again, I'm not the foremost expert on wheels considering I've gone with nothing but OEM... went from stock Z28 wheels to OEM SS wheels, then to OEM Z06s.
Old 06-27-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
I like the wheels by themselves, they look awesome But something just doesn't look right on the car IMO. After thinking about it for awhile I realized what it was. It is the widened out attachment point at the rim that ruins it for me. If the spokes attached directly to the rim, without those wide adapter attachment things I'd think that it was a "10" for sure. Something about how it flairs out at the rim looks kind of funny imo.

Like others have said though, if you like it, then buy it. It doesn't really matter what anybody else thinks We all WILL give you our honest opinions if you ask for them though. That's what friends are for ......
That is what seemed "off" as in appearance and I kept trying to visualized what they would look like on Josh's. I like the picture of just the rim - its on the car where it looks a little strange.

So Josh, would you need the adapters as well and how do *you* think they would look with them?
Thats all that really matters
Old 06-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Launching!

holy crap!!! those look great!! How much are they from les schwab with tires? I never have found anything from american racing that i like but wow!!!

Ok guys I'm thinkin about new wheels and I really like a good 5-spoke. So I've kinda fallen for the American Racing Rebel. 18x10 chrome wheel. Here are some pics, luckily working at les schwab I can get a good price on it. Tires would be 275/35-18

Here's a couple pics of them on travws6's car

Old 06-28-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I too think that those would be sweeeet wheels if they didn't have those big attachment pieces that stand out so much..
Old 06-28-2005, 09:48 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by GEARHED
That is what seemed "off" as in appearance and I kept trying to visualized what they would look like on Josh's. I like the picture of just the rim - its on the car where it looks a little strange.

So Josh, would you need the adapters as well and how do *you* think they would look with them?
Thats all that really matters
The bolts are part of the wheel design, and I think they'd look great... we'll know soon enough I think I'm gonna try and order them today
Old 06-28-2005, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

and I think they'd look great...
That is the right answer. Hope you are able to get them it will look like you got a new car.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:23 PM
Launching!

I like them, and Josh check ur pm's im sending u one.
Old 06-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Launching!

Personally, I like the genreal design, but would try to find a way to make the attachment point a little les obvious. Maybe a grey powder coat on that flat area with the bolts? Or, maybe it is just something I would need to see in person to truly appreciate.
Old 06-28-2005, 04:12 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pinoyracer_18
holy crap!!! those look great!! How much are they from les schwab with tires? I never have found anything from american racing that i like but wow!!!
be roughly $2100 for wheels and 4 275/35ZR18 Toyo Proxes T1R's

Old 06-28-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

They look like a nice wheel to me. I like chrome, I wouldn't hesitate to buy those wheels if the price was right.