Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Proper way to paint a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Proper way to paint a trailer?

I have a dimond plated trailer and was wonder what I need to do to, to repaint it. It's got a few some rust spots from the straps and so forth, What's the proper way to get the paint off and repaint it. What kind of paint do I need, etc. Thanks for your help.
Old 07-01-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

Well considering I paint our trailers once a year, thats several 50 foot flatbed/fifth wheel style trailers...

What we do is grind away the biggest rust spots and then spray Rustoleam gloss black paint, just thin it down using some thinner and use a cheap-o gun to spray it... Or you can do it with a brush, just make sure it goes on thick, and dont do it right before nighttime cause the moisture will cause "dull spots"...

Heres how the same paint came out on my 73 Charger front suspension...
Old 07-01-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Addict

so what should I spray the rest of the trailer with? I'm gonna paint it black. should i sand down the rest of it and grind down the rust spot? then spray or brush the whole thing with paint?
Old 07-01-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Charging TA
Well considering I paint our trailers once a year, thats several 50 foot flatbed/fifth wheel style trailers...

What we do is grind away the biggest rust spots and then spray Rustoleam gloss black paint, just thin it down using some thinner and use a cheap-o gun to spray it... Or you can do it with a brush, just make sure it goes on thick, and dont do it right before nighttime cause the moisture will cause "dull spots"...

Heres how the same paint came out on my 73 Charger front suspension...
the parts look awesome with that paint on it
Old 07-02-2005, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks, yeah just spray the entire thing with thick coat of rustoleam (mask off lights and such), or if you want you you can brush on some of it onto the grinded rust spots, then spray over it, or just brush the entire thing.

Last edited by Charging TA; 10-03-2014 at 04:16 PM.