Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How much power does the stock amp have?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much power does the stock amp have?

I put a new system in my camaro today and plan on putting a stealth sub in. Through some wire splicing I made the amp power the two middle speakers as if they were the sail panal speakers so they recieved all ranges of frequencies. And I transfered the bass to the sail speakers. Now would the amp have enough power to power a 10" sub left over or will i need another amp??

On a side not is the power from the stock monsoon amp running to the door speakers at 2 ohms or 4 ohms? Because i set it up as if the speakers I replaced those with were just getting there power from the amplifier and I dont want to blow my new speakers.

Thanks for any help. hmm good idea
Old 07-11-2005, 11:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

You can search the forum on how much power. I can't remember, but I figured it out approximately before.

As for powering a 10" with a monsoon. I think that would work horribly. There are a list of reasons this won't work well. The sail panel speakers don't have tweeters which is why they weren't being sent high frequency.

The monsoon doesn't have enough power to blow anything unless you run in clipping and I'm not sure it will even do that. I'm not sure what "system" you installed... sounds like some door speakers. Anyway, some people run stock monsoon and speakers and add an amp and a sub. Many will just chuck the entire monsoon system and install a quality amp(s), door speakers and sub.

Brian
Old 07-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Teching In

I would get a new amp for the 10inch sub. Depending on what sub u get, by this I mean what is (RMS) u will definitely need a new amp. I have a Alpine Type R with a JL Audio 500/1 amp and it surprized the hell out of me how hard a 10 with a little air can hit.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

When I was doing this I had already perchased a new headunit, and two sets of 6 3/4" speakers. I wanted to just remove the amp and run the speakers off the headunit. Unforutunatly I dont have the patience or knowledge to rewire the whole car so I sent the signal throught the amp from the new headunit and just cut and spliced the wires that connect to the amp together diiferently. This made the signal that was previously sent to the sail panal speakers to my new 6 3/4" speakers in the middle. Now I just want to do something with that 2 Ohms bass signal thats isn't wasting it away on 2 4" 2 Ohms speakers.

Thanks again for the help...