Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with locking converter

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with locking converter

History: I have a 2002 5.3 motor and 4l60e. The motor is stock and the tranny has a transgo kit and a trailblazer stall. Aftermarket harness to the “tuned” computer. This is a conversion in a 68 pickup.
The converter locks up in both 3rd and 4th. I can hear and feel the change in RPMs. When I let off the gas to coast at basically any speed the converter will unlock. As soon as I touch the gas it will lock again. Is this normal or atleast ok? I installed a new brake switch to “power” the lockup. The brake doesn’t unlock only when I let off the gas.
Thanks
Dave
Old 07-15-2005, 01:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Don't know about how your setup would work but when my converter locks, it's stays locked unless I go WOT or when I go below a certain mph, like 35 or 40.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That doesn't sound right. So the computer is not controlling the transmission/TCC? What do you mean by this?

Originally Posted by custom 68
I installed a new brake switch to “power” the lockup. The brake doesn’t unlock only when I let off the gas.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry Flame The way I understand it is that I have wires going into the computer that has 12 volts on it when the brake is NOT applied and goes to 0 volts when the brake is pressed. That is the switch I am talking about. So it is computer controlled however it locks and unlocks depending on throttle position (atleast this is what it feels like).
Everything else works with no problems I just want to make sure this is ok it seems to "cycle" the lockup quite a bit.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TCC is locked and released based on speed and TPS%. Looking back at your post, it IMHO is acting how it is supposed to. Does the TCC, after you get off of the accelerator, unlock or does it unlock after coasting down a couple of MPH? Do you have a way to log the ECM, like with HPTuners?
Old 07-15-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont have anyway to log so I cant tell you exactly ( I am working on logging) I only assume it is immediate after letting off the gas but will try to investigate tonight. This is all fairly new to me so I am trying to learn as I go. I just dont want to tear this up so quick after in install...
Thanks for the input.
Dave