Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would a shift kit cause any problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 12:45 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why would a shift kit cause any problems?

I'm looking for people in my area to install my shift kit and stall (when it comes). A good friend of mine knows a guy that does a lot of installations with LS1s and such, so he talked to him for me. The guy said he could install the torque converter, but said not to ever install the shift kit. He said that most everyone he sees that has the shift kits put in have major problems after that.

I'm well aware that shift kits normally go in with stalls, so I'm thinking if there's any problems, it's not related to the kit. Why would it be? They prolong transmission life! My friend says that this guy "really knows his stuff", and I believe him, but I just don't think he knows much about shift kits if he thinks they cause too many problems.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If installed properly i'm sure they are great. However I've seen post after post of people messing up their transmissions after a shift kit install. its a very delicate install, but so is the 4l60. Parts ect can break from stresses, psi, ect that the transmission was never designed for. I chose not to install one. I took care of all my shift points, firmness with tuning. From reading all these post they shorten life on stock 4l60e's.

perhaps some people with more experience with them can chime in.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:45 AM
11 Second Club

I heard just the opposite. That a Shift Kit will benifit your Transmission.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its all in the install. you have to have someone who knows alot about Transmissions. I have a friend who has an 88 Monte Carlo SS......he through a shift kit in a stock trans after 80k miles and drove it hard till about 130-140k and had no problems at all. Not to mention neck snapping good shifts. I cant wait, i ordered a Trans go yesterday.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:51 AM
On The Tree

Also, dont go drive your car into the ground once its in. I think that a car should always be taken care of and driven with respect and care. if none is given, things will go wrong no matter what.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

An on the opposite end of HAWK, I say drive it into the ground or at least have a little fun everytime you take it out. If that place sees shift kits messing up transmissions, it's probably because they can't install one properly. I wouldn't have him do mine. Plenty of places will do that and the converter, just have to find the right one. I'm sure some members on here know of a reputable shop in the Missouri area.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

When my A4 lost top gear about 6 months ago I had it rebuit using the Corvette Servo's and the Raybestos Z-PACK clutches. It will murder the tires when it hits 2nd now. You don't need a shift kit.You don't need to mess with line pressure. You just need to hold on.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

i was planning on installing one,but i was gonna let a shop do it for me.my buddys install b&m improvers them self and no problems yet and there tranny shift alot harder now going into 2.i was thinking getting a transgo.but as one posted that they told there tranny how was it?
Old 07-14-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I think this guy (despite how much he may know) just can't put in a shift kit. If the ones he's putting in are consistently ruining trannies, then he's either not installing them right or the people he's putting them in for are running them into the ground everyday.

Either way, I'll find someone to do it for me.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only problem you will have(if installed correctly) is issues with torque management. If the trans shifts hard the computer will see it and remove timing/fuel untill the torque drops to the pre-programmed setting... This is easily fixed by removing torque management with ls1edit/hp tuners. So you will need to have your car re-programmed to allow for a harder shift. You can do it yourself if you have the program or take it to a local shop and have them remove it.. I was told that the typical re-program of just the trans settings runs around 100 bucks..
Old 07-14-2005, 11:38 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

A Transgo kit will not screw up a transmission; only an installer can do that. Improper installation or setting it up for brutal shifts at light throttle can cause problems. The set-up of the kit should also be tailored for the converter you're using. Find an installer who knows Transgo kits and forget what anybody else says. And yes, tuning your tranny also can do a world of good.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:54 AM
On The Tree

Does torque management only apply to cars that have TCS? I have no TCS and i was wonder if it applies to me. I bought a Trans Go the other day and i would want it to run to optimum performance.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TM applies to both TCS and NON TCS cars.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:33 PM
Staging Lane

I put a TransGo in mine at 30000 miles, and ran it up to 121000 miles before I sold the car. Never had a single problem.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HAWK#549
Does torque management only apply to cars that have TCS?
No, you have TM with or without TCS.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Teching In

ive heard if u disable TM ur tranny life span is shorter, is this true?
Old 07-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Banned

Default hey

Listen up..shift kits won't harm your tranny. Okay just in case I forgot to mention it...Shift kits won't harm your transmission. Okay???? ...ever notice how they say it'll hurt your transmission but will not say how or why?? The transmissions that a shift kit will "Kill" is a transmission that was already dying. Just my 2 cents...hope this helps have a good weekend...Dave

Quick Reply: Why would a shift kit cause any problems?