Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Manifold

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS6 Intake Manifold

Curious if it's a good idea and safe to buy a used intake manifold. Planning on buying the LS6 but don't know what sponsor to buy from. The GM site here: http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/1980...-Manifolds.htm is the lowest I've seen. Also wondering on which of the two manifolds there is the right one. Lastly does anyone know if the SLP LS6 manifold worth the price or any other recommended LS6's?
Old 07-15-2005, 09:49 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ebay or sales sections on various ls1 boards is the best place to pick one up IMO. dont forget the ls6 coolant tubes and plugs.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The SLP LS6 manifold is just a GM LS6 manifold modified for the EGR fitting up front.

As for used LS6's, as long as nothing is damaged (if it's off a wrecked car or the owner damaged the LS6 somehow by dropping it or whatever), then it's perfectly fine compared to a brand new one. The only thing "touching" an LS6 is the air passing through the ports, and that won't cause any wear and tear, so you're good to go with a used one.

If you have the option between new and used, definitely choose used and save yourself atleast $100, like I did.

And like JRP said, do not forget the LS6 coolant crossover pipe and coolant plugs. The crossover pipe is about $40 and the coolant plugs are about $6-$7 each; you'll need two of them. So plan on another $50 for those on top of your LS6 manifold price.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
The SLP LS6 manifold is just a GM LS6 manifold modified for the EGR fitting up front.
So is it modified so the EGR end isn't hanging down into the manifold? What good is the EGR for, everyone seems to take it out.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The LS6 intake manifold flows better than the LS1 intake manifold does. The standard GM-version of the LS6 manifold doesn't have the EGR port on top, like the LS1 manifold does. SLP sells their modified GM LS6's with the EGR port on top, so that way people who wanna keep their EGR system can still have the benefits of the better flowing LS6 manifold.

All LS1 manifolds were on cars with the EGR system. All LS6 manifolds were on cars without the EGR system. If you remove your EGR system outta your '98-'00 FBody, you can (or pretty much have to) go with the regular GM LS6 intake manifold. If you decided to keep your EGR system on your '98-'00 FBody, whether by choice of if you have to, then you'll need to go with SLP's LS6 manifold so you can get the gains of the LS6 while still being able to use your EGR.

About the EGR: I removed mine. It cleared up some space and made the engine bay look a bit better (not so much **** in the way of everything). EGR means "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" which takes some of the exhaust gases that pass through the manifolds back into the engine, kind of like a "recycling system". What it's benefits are, I really dunno. I'm sure it's a no-brainer, but I'm lost as to what it is/they are right now.

I made a new thread in this section about the benefits of removing EGR and AIR though, so hopefully someone can answer both your and my questions about EGR and exactly what they do, and why we really remove them other than engine bay space/appearance reasons.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TransAm52804
The LS6 intake manifold flows better than the LS1 intake manifold does. The standard GM-version of the LS6 manifold doesn't have the EGR port on top, like the LS1 manifold does. SLP sells their modified GM LS6's with the EGR port on top, so that way people who wanna keep their EGR system can still have the benefits of the better flowing LS6 manifold.

All LS1 manifolds were on cars with the EGR system. All LS6 manifolds were on cars without the EGR system. If you remove your EGR system outta your '98-'00 FBody, you can (or pretty much have to) go with the regular GM LS6 intake manifold. If you decided to keep your EGR system on your '98-'00 FBody, whether by choice of if you have to, then you'll need to go with SLP's LS6 manifold so you can get the gains of the LS6 while still being able to use your EGR.

About the EGR: I removed mine. It cleared up some space and made the engine bay look a bit better (not so much **** in the way of everything). EGR means "Exhaust Gas Recirculation" which takes some of the exhaust gases that pass through the manifolds back into the engine, kind of like a "recycling system". What it's benefits are, I really dunno. I'm sure it's a no-brainer, but I'm lost as to what it is/they are right now.

I made a new thread in this section about the benefits of removing EGR and AIR though, so hopefully someone can answer both your and my questions about EGR and exactly what they do, and why we really remove them other than engine bay space/appearance reasons.
VERY Helpful Man!....ya, guess I'll wait for the replies for the !EGR, !AIR thread to see which one, but ya a no brainer if the EGR is not even needed except to take up space and weight.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

if you want to stay emissions compliant you'll need your AIR and EGR.

FWIW i removed both of mine during my header install with nary a problem, cleans up the engine bay quite nice

the systems are for emissions, nothing more, nothing less.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i save about 125 bucks by getting a used ls6 manifold.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
if you want to stay emissions compliant you'll need your AIR and EGR.

FWIW i removed both of mine during my header install with nary a problem, cleans up the engine bay quite nice

the systems are for emissions, nothing more, nothing less.
I think you're right. But, I wonder why? After all, the 01-02 cars have no EGR, and they're legal. Why can't you remove it off a 98-00 and still be legal.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:17 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by 00 Trans Ram
I think you're right. But, I wonder why? After all, the 01-02 cars have no EGR, and they're legal. Why can't you remove it off a 98-00 and still be legal.
01+ cars.

EGR ELIMINATED
Application of the LQ4 cam produced a valuable side benefit: elimination of the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system. The new cam creates more valve overlap, or periods when both intake and exhaust valves are partially open at the same time. Increased overlap allows the LS1 to meet National Low Emissions Vehicle (NLEV) certification without EGR. Removal of EGR reduces engine plumbing and potential leak sources
Old 07-16-2005, 01:34 AM
TECH Addict

oh ok i didn't know you i had to have dem for emissions....dat sux, guess i'll have to go wit the SLP LS6 Intake w/provisions

Last edited by RrCoX22; 07-16-2005 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
Yeah, I was surprised at how much space was really opened up afterwards, especially after removing the EGR valve. Speaking of, I was also surprised at how much the valve weighed.