Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Using new wire, or use existing wire?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Using new wire, or use existing wire?

I am just installing my new speakers and I just wanted to know what everyone else has done to wire them up. They are going from a cross over installed in the door through the door to the back where the amp is.

Do you tap into existing wires that already run through the car? Do you run totally new wires? Does the adapter plug that plugs into the stock amp have wires that I can tap into that are in the door?

Your help is superly appreciated!! Thanks.

Last edited by Rescue Ranger; 07-16-2005 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For my front doors, I ran 12 gauge from the amp to the passive crossovers. The new speakers came with some 16 gauge for the woofers, 18 gauge for the tweeters. This wire was used from the cross over to the speakers.

I already had the car torn apart to install rca's and power wire. Installing the 12 gauge was not much trouble.

The stock wiring is likely to be 18 gauge or more. If your door speakers are not more than ~50 watts rms, I'd say go ahead and reuse the factory wiring. You'll have to cut and splice into the factory amp connector - or make/get terminals that fit into it (32 pin blue connector by the amp).

Look at post #4 in this thread http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3199862 for the a link to the wiring diagrams.
Old 07-16-2005, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people suggest using new wires, I ran new power wires to my head unit. The paperwork that came with it recommended running lower gauge wires. I think it depends on what you buy. Higher end/higher powered stuff, you might actually be able to tell the difference with new (lower gauge/thicker) wires.

GPz: Do you like your setup or would have done anything different. Just looking at you sig and saw all the alpines. I have an alpine hu, but I had heard a lot of mixed reviews on their component sets. Just looking for your opinion.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, good response I may have to look it for a little better setup on my car now.
Old 07-18-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am delivering ~75W RMS to the speakers, but the speakers themselves (prewired crossovers Memphis M-Class) all use 16g, so I just used the stock wires. The system slams and sounds unbelievably clear, so I'm glad I stuck to the stock wires. I see your point, sometimes a little overkill is a good thing.. one of those 'do it once and never look back' projects.

Hopefully everything will hold up and sound as good in the future as it does now.