Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

I need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need Advice

I was chatting with the man at Murrays speed and custom asking him for some cam advice while I was picking up some stuff. He asked me my compression And I told him it was 8.5 to 8.7 compression judging by the research I have done. Bu the numbers its a 73 454 with 049 heads also from 73 (one is december 72) which would mean 73 motor. He tells me that even though they advertised 8.7 they only made 8 to 1 compression.
I am a poor college student looking to bump up performance. I have friends that can rebuild engines and do work so I am doing all my work my self so far. I need a bargain way to make more power and or build a foundation for more power. At first I was just going to stick a cam in and port the heads. Now I am thinking put in pistons get around 10 to 1 and leave the heads alone and than put in a healthy cam and buy some darts or something later when i get more money.
Does this make any sense to do? I currently only have a set of hookers, a 750 holley double pumper hand me down and a performer rpm intake and a pertronix distributor with a little anemic cam. I also swapped in a 3.55 12 bolt when my 10 bolt went down the crapper. And a th400.
Any and all suggestion welcome. Sorry for the stupidly long post.
Oh and Id like to see mid 12s.
Oh and its a 69 camaro as you can see in the sig.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'd shoot for 9.5 c/r and a bigger camshaft.