Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Is an in-dash DVD player really worth it ? Need your feedback!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Is an in-dash DVD player really worth it ? Need your feedback!

ok I have the following set up:

1 - Kenwood eXcelon KVT-815DVD
2 - JL XR650 CXi Comps
3 - JL ZR series [ can't recall the exact model # ] for the sail panels
4 - JL 10WV2 [ Dual 6 ohm wired in parallel so running at 3 ohms.. 300 W RMS ]
5 - Alpine MRP-M350 Amp for the Sub [ 350 W RMS @ 2 ohm ]

The Sub is mounted in the stealth box from Subthump
The Amp is mounted on the Amp Rack from Subthump

Now, I am REALLY unhappy with the Kenwood DVD player.. IMHO, it's a POS!.. the DVD Navigation sucks!.. the remote sucks.. the screen motor is NOISY [when opening and closing the screen ] ..

When playing MP3s, it'll display the text and sometimes wont [ on the same cd! ]

Anyways, I've been thinking about the following alternatives:

1 - Exchanging the Kenwood for the Alpine IVAD-310 unit
2 - Returning the Kenwood and get a nice Alpine or Eclipse HU [ no dvd ] and use the balance towards a good 4 Channel Amp [ JL 300/4 ] and maybe a second sub

It's just got me wondering whether an in-dash DVD player is really worth having ? I mean you can't, and to some extent shouldn't, watch DVDs while driving [ you could bypass the lock..] and all the other functions are performed by non-dvd head units too ...

Additionally, even though I love music and must have a good system, I'm not into SPL competitions and such...

So, I need your opinions here... Should I swap for the Alpine 310 or revert to a non-dvd Head Unit and spend the rest towards a 4 channel amp and a second subwoofer ?

I've been considering a 4 channel AMP anyways [ ALpine MRP-F240 ] ....

Please post!
Old 07-24-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dump the DVD player. I'd rather listen to music then watch DVDs in the car any day of the week. In car DVD players are only good for two things:
1= For the kids to watch during long trips in the SUV.
2= Show
Old 07-24-2005, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by firebirdude
Dump the DVD player. I'd rather listen to music then watch DVDs in the car any day of the week. In car DVD players are only good for two things:
1= For the kids to watch during long trips in the SUV.
2= Show
3= MP3 DVD's if the player will play them
mine did but i sold it in my old car, dont rememebr what brand it was
Old 07-24-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Cephiros
3= MP3 DVD's if the player will play them
mine did but i sold it in my old car, dont rememebr what brand it was
Good point. Forgot about that. Also music videos. Definately what you play at the shows.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Personally I don't think that DVD players are worth it. I could think of many better ways to spend the $$$$, and for that cash, you could get an entire nice stereo setup. Or more traction! Now maybe if they were much less expensive.....
Old 07-24-2005, 06:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I got one just for the bling You shoulda went with the Alpine IVA from the jump IMO, helluva lot better than Kenwood. Guess it just depends on what you want... bling or sound.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Thumbs down

Well I just came back from the " Shop " and they said, they will exchange it for either another 815 or the IVA-D310 [ this for another $120 ] but cannot take it back

So, well at this point, I can either sell it on E-bay or upgrade to the Alpine..
Old 07-26-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Regular

i just picked up an 815 and i love it. my only prob is that the hvac gets in the way and the screen cant come all the way back, and i dont like the look of it when it sticks out. (in the camaro, birds dont have this problem).
i have it because the touch screen is easy, i can watch music videos etc when im driving, dave chappelle, bling factor.
the motor is not loud on mine. i havent really used the remote. if the motor is one of the biggest probs, id exchange it for a diff one because yours must be faulty. the other things i cant really contest, except that it doesnt really matter to me. you have to weigh out the pros and cons and make the decision for yourself!
Old 07-26-2005, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

glad to hear yours is a good unit because mine def isn't !.. it's getting swapped for the Alpine IVA-D310 as soon as they get'em in stock!

Yeah the touch screen is nice.. but what sucks is you can't use the DVD disc's menu to control the functions, and the 815's *On Screen Buttons* for DVD play, pause, skip etc are a bit annoying... This feature has been taken care of in the new Alpine and also the new Kenwood 717 DVD

Anyways, good luck with the unit!.. The screen, all said and done, is amazing!!
Old 07-26-2005, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the Alpine IVA-D900 and couldn't be happier with it. For anything more than the DVD Mp3 discs. 7gigs practically of Mp3 on one disc! You can't beat that.

I don't use it just for the bling or show purposes. I've got the rear camera and two external cameras set up on it as well. Track runs, races, good lookin women, it works for all of the above
Old 07-26-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Resident

aah.. the D900/901 is the ****!.. However, that thing that I didn't like about the D300 and D900 is no external LCD display.. Otherwise I could've had the D300 for $700 and D901 for $1499

But, what a great unit!!
Old 07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

I dont like anything Kenwood makes. The Alpine will def put a smile on your face, seeming as how im sure you had that idea in your head the first time. Even if you decide that you dont want a DVD in the future, resale of the Alpine will be MUCH better than the Kenwood.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RahuL
aah.. the D900/901 is the ****!..
I was gonna get a D900 off eBay for $680 (it was a display unit for a car audio shop) but the bitch I was buying it from ripped me off and took my money I pressed charges on her *** and bought me a D300 for $850 The D900 is the **** if you can swing it, but the D300 isn't bad either. Either way Alpine is still the shiznit over Panasonic and Kenwood for head units, DVD or otherwise
Old 07-27-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure youd had a time where you just had to wait ie. traffic, picking up someone etc. The Dvd in dash will be a perfect time killer. I mean sure bumping your music is fun already, but sometimes you just want to chill with a movie or something. Better yet, you could have countless uses for the dvd player. Main points would be like the dvd mp3. Its enough that standard cds hold 700 mgs so thats about 200? songs? Upgrade to a 7 gigs and you're in business. You'll never need to use another cd ever again!
Im honestly running a single 10 L7 and love the way it kicks. May not slump like 2 12's but it does knock in the car. I would assume your JL does the same. So i say you go with the DVD head unit. If yours is crap, have the store give you a brand new one. you'll be happy with it man.