Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

First time with clay

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time with clay

I love to detail cars, when I was younger it was my parents cars, I used to use white vinigar to take off water spots as needed, and I regularly polish and wax. I heard about how nice clay bars can leave the paint before waxing so I figured I would give it a try, I bought clay magic from autozone and I just was wondering how you guys liked claying. Also I have heard you can use it on glass and wanted to hear your opinions on that.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Do a search on clay bars. Tons of good info. I tried it and was blown away on how smooth the paint feels. Oh.....and make sure you use PLENTY of detailing pray! Good luck man.....
Old 07-30-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

clay is the way. when i use the clay bar every few months but you can feel the paint if it needs it. I use it when the car is covered with soap and glide it over the car in one direction and keep folding it over. when done wax the car real good.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea it works great on windows too. It takes out the imbedded contaminates (sp) out of the glass (especially the windshield) just like it does on the paint. I always thought I kept my car clean, untill I clayed it and seen how fast the clay turned BROWN from all the crap that was imbedded in my paint, that it took out. You'll realize after doing it, that your car is never truely clean untill you claybar it. Also like said above do a search on claybars, there are alot of tips to it, just like anything else. Good luck.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

So what do you use after the clay bar?

Is is just wash/claybar/wax........or is there a type of polish that goes on after the clay bar before teh wax??
Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on the condition of your paint. If you have swirls in your paint the next step is to remove them with polish, swirl remover, ScratchX, etc. then wax. If you have a PC polisher or know how to use a rotary buffer, that will be the quickest, easiest way to get the swirls out. If not I like to use Meguiars ScratchX by hand, takes some time and ALOT of elbow grease, but it works good.
Old 07-30-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks man...
Old 07-30-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do the glass, all the glass, you'll be suprised how clean the windshield is, how good wipers work, etc, etc.

One thing to remember is to keep "kneeding" or turning the bar, folding it and smoothing it out etc.

do not use the entire bar at once. I use a piece that is about 1/8" thick and about the equivilant of a 3" diameter circle. If the claymagic you bought is around 1/2" thick, and 3x4" or so, just use a quarter of it, or maybe less.

I also take a small small piece and do the fender lips...

I to step in on what cthomas said, there are other products out there for swirl removal, etc. I'd suggest getting a Porter Cable Oribital buffer, rather than even attempting a rotary, as those are generally left to professionals.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brandon
I'd suggest getting a Porter Cable Oribital buffer, rather than even attempting a rotary, as those are generally left to professionals.
I'm pretty comfortable with a rotary because I work at a body shop, and what I do is wet sand and buff the cars that come out of paint with a DeWalt rotary buffer.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

ah... guess you are one of those professionals...
Old 07-30-2005, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brandon
ah... guess you are one of those professionals...
I wouldn't say professional at all. Just more comfortable with one than the average person I guess.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

cars done, yeah it did a really awsome job, I saw how brown the clay got and I got worries because of scratching the paint but it was ok, guess its supposed to do that, I will admit I wasn't too impressed with it in my windshield, when I rinsed the car afterward I could tell just how much friction was lost. It looks good too after waxing (2 coats) base synthetic top carnauba. Over all it was well worth the 10 dollars paid, not bad results for a 10 year old car.

Old 07-30-2005, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ nice shine, now kill that side molding!
Old 07-30-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by cthomas
Yea it works great on windows too. It takes out the imbedded contaminates (sp) out of the glass (especially the windshield) just like it does on the paint. I always thought I kept my car clean, untill I clayed it and seen how fast the clay turned BROWN from all the crap that was imbedded in my paint, that it took out. You'll realize after doing it, that your car is never truely clean untill you claybar it. Also like said above do a search on claybars, there are alot of tips to it, just like anything else. Good luck.
I never thought of using a claybar for the glass. I've always used some baking soda and one of my wifes plastic mesh scrubbies (new, of course) from the sink. I always thought it cleaned them really good. Funny story (to me anyway) I told one of my coworkers about my little scrubbie trick. (actually, I told him it works well to remove splattered bugs from the paint) So he goes home to try it and uses a green pot scrubbing pad on his paint!!! You know,...the ones that are like sandpaper!! I thought it was funny, he didn't. But he sure payed more attention the next time I told him something.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:31 PM
NKAWTG...N

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
So what do you use after the clay bar?

Is is just wash/claybar/wax........or is there a type of polish that goes on after the clay bar before teh wax??
wash w/dawn, clay, wash, wax/polish for me. as for that detailing spray, i just use water mixed with dawn.
Old 07-30-2005, 04:37 PM
On The Tree

2 Questions.... doesnt the clay bar remove any wax left on the car???

And is it gonna mess with my paint?? My car is almost 14 years old and while the paint is in really great condition, i don't want to use something thats gonna take it off...
Old 07-30-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AMack
2 Questions.... doesnt the clay bar remove any wax left on the car???

And is it gonna mess with my paint?? My car is almost 14 years old and while the paint is in really great condition, i don't want to use something thats gonna take it off...
Yes, clay will remove wax. Claybar should only be done when you plan to re-wax. Regarding your second question, I'm honestly not sure, but I think clay is going to be easier on your paint than an abrasive polish or compound. As long as you keep the area well-lubricated, I don't see it doing any damage.

Oh, and nice 3rd gen. That body style got me into Camaros in the first place.

-Mike
Old 07-30-2005, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Yes, clay will remove wax. Claybar should only be done when you plan to re-wax. Regarding your second question, I'm honestly not sure, but I think clay is going to be easier on your paint than an abrasive polish or compound. As long as you keep the area well-lubricated, I don't see it doing any damage.

Oh, and nice 3rd gen. That body style got me into Camaros in the first place.

-Mike

Thanks...for your help...and your compliment.

Yea i plan on doing the claybar thing maybe like next spring when i bring my car outta hibernation. So i wanted to make sure it would strip off the old wax.
Old 07-30-2005, 07:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AMack
Thanks...for your help...and your compliment.

Yea i plan on doing the claybar thing maybe like next spring when i bring my car outta hibernation. So i wanted to make sure it would strip off the old wax.
To be REALLY sure you get off the old wax, claybar and a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and distilled water in a spray bottle will do the trick nicely. Vinegar works too, but then your car smells like a pickle.

-Mike
Old 07-31-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

yeah but white vinegar specifically is just as much as a miracle treatment as the claybar. I'm not too sure I would put alcohol on my paint.

Quick Reply: First time with clay