Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yes ive searched

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes ive searched

ok like the title says i have done numerous searches and all the info doesnt answer my question.
1. Im ordering Pacesetter headers, I know I may need a tune. if this is the case can i just buy a MAF Translator. or will i need to have it professional tuned. will any of the timing be off by that much? or is it more like just the air fuel ratio will be off?
2 Will i loose that much by using a y pipe as opposed to going TD.(both systems would not have cats)
(searched but only found oppinions not facts, im intrested in actual numbers)
3. does anyone know if TD's can be made by mail order?

background info- I have a LMII and Flopac as my only mods. But im willing to get rid of the catback if someone can convince me otherwise to go with a TD set up. but on the other hand id hate to waste the money on a Td set up if im not gonna gain that much. I open to any suggestions but only constructive criticism please.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 02ZZ28
ok like the title says i have done numerous searches and all the info doesnt answer my question.
1. Im ordering Pacesetter headers, I know I may need a tune. if this is the case can i just buy a MAF Translator. or will i need to have it professional tuned. will any of the timing be off by that much? or is it more like just the air fuel ratio will be off?
2 Will i loose that much by using a y pipe as opposed to going TD.(both systems would not have cats)
(searched but only found oppinions not facts, im intrested in actual numbers)
3. does anyone know if TD's can be made by mail order?

background info- I have a LMII and Flopac as my only mods. But im willing to get rid of the catback if someone can convince me otherwise to go with a TD set up. but on the other hand id hate to waste the money on a Td set up if im not gonna gain that much. I open to any suggestions but only constructive criticism please.
No such thing as numbers and facts, only opinions and what people acheive, but no car will respond 100% and even less likely if other mods are involved.

1. You will not need a tune, but you also won't be getting the best from the setup either. If you're prepared to spend the money on parts go and get a proper rolling road tune - its the only way.

2. Duals are nice and can work well, I do think there is a bit of myth on how good there are. For my opinion check my post in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/361065-ok-im-sick-true-duals-now-what-can-i-do.html also try reading the sticky about modding, it will explain alot about exhaust setups and why some make way more power than others.

3. don't know, never looked.

Personally, I'd stick with an off the shelf cat back, it will have been designed and tested where as a custom setup will be hit or mis. Meaning it may yeild more power, but it might also reduce power depending on how its configured. But that aside you will probably only be talking 10rwhp at most for a road going street car. And is 10rwhp on a 350-400bhp motor really all that important. If your racing and need every single pony then there are many other things to worry about first, such as weight redcution and chassis control.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

every cars different so there really are no set "facts" just what peoples experiences have been. i know on my lt1 i used a maf trans to help compensate until i got a tune (pm me i have one i could sell u) but eventually u r going to want to get a tune. ur going to get an ses light if u take off ur air or egr systems and unless u have o2 sims u will get a light for ur rear o2's.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

I dont have my LTs on the car yet, not until next week was a matter of fact, so i cant say how well they work after a LT install. I can however, tell you that having my car tuned was the best mod ive done yet! car runs smoother and feels like i picked up 30 horse on the ***-o-meter. If your doing LTs, you may just want to factor in a tune to your budget because the gains are definatly worth taking advantage of.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

i really appreciate the infor guys thanks for everything.
I was asking if the MAF translator was worth it cuz the nearest shop is so far away. And if it didnt need to be tuned than that more money i could spend on something else.