Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok Im sick of true duals now, what can I do??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 09:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Ok Im sick of true duals now, what can I do??

I have custom 3" true duals with dynomax bullets dumped before the axle and Im getting tired of it. I dont know if its the bullet mufflers I dont like anymore or the whole thing overall. Question is what can I do to keep the good sound at idle and the good flow for my motor but cut out some of the "raggedness" that my exhaust gives off when I give it any throttle going down the road? Can I go back to a Y pipe and catback without losing anything??
Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What exhaust did you have before the duals? Stock?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say throw some borla xr-1's on it. I have em on my cammed SS and they sound very tame, but deep. No interior drone or resonance

But at WOT, a little less than the bullets but still loud and sound GREAT!

Edit- or have them extended under the axle, only 200 or so dollars + tips and you wont have to through all the BS of changing yer exhaust.
Old 08-04-2005, 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
I would say throw some borla xr-1's on it. I have em on my cammed SS and they sound very tame, but deep. No interior drone or resonance

But at WOT, a little less than the bullets but still loud and sound GREAT!

Edit- or have them extended under the axle, only 200 or so dollars + tips and you wont have to through all the BS of changing yer exhaust.
no matter what you do tho, you're going to lose something, duals produce the best #'s, so bringing them under the axle is the only way to maintain the #'s
Old 08-04-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

i have heard some people dont like the design of the flo-pro twisters in that they may restrict some flow, but i think they sound awsome. good deep idle and roar at WOT. also i think they have a cool sound to them when they back down.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:56 PM
Launching!

Id say XR1s, but itd still be a lil loud. Or you could get mandrel bends and panhard relocator and go over the axle. Or a 3in Y pipe and Catback with cutout.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:59 PM
10 Second Club

Or you could sell the true duals to me and I'll come pick em up... lol
Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00RedWs6
Id say XR1s, but itd still be a lil loud. Or you could get mandrel bends and panhard relocator and go over the axle. Or a 3in Y pipe and Catback with cutout.
uhm, borla xr-1's are one of the quietest muffelers around.
Old 08-04-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

The borla mouth sounds bad ***. I went from duals back to ORY and borla, and dont really plan on going back.
Old 08-05-2005, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default duels

I would bring them out the back, if poss over the axle. It will be alot more tame inside the car and you will lose minimal hp. I used sound deadening and it worked well for me, but im old school and like it loud. Mine dont rattle or vibrate at all. You could also do both.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
no matter what you do tho, you're going to lose something, duals produce the best #'s, so bringing them under the axle is the only way to maintain the #'s
I'm not so sure about that.

I mean lots of competition race cars use Y pipes instead of duals with X's. Take LG, they make what is arguably the best headers for the C5, but for their race cars they cut down they X to make a Y pipe. And I'm sure some of it is weight but not all of it, surly BHP would be more important, even more so when race cars are usually underweight and balast is usually used to bring it to the minimal requirements.

In addition I've spoken with a tech guy from Magnaflow, although he wouldn't confirm it (he admitted he didn't really know), but he suspected that a well designed Y will work in the same manor as a well designed X.

Just to clarify I'm not claiming Y's are better than X pipes, but on a like for like basis I doubt there is any real difference performance wise.

Remember most people only ever compare stock or 'as stock' designed Y pipes to better designed X pipes hence the difference in performance, however a badly designed X pipe would also perform worse than a well designed one.

In addition, If you are running an Y pipe then spilt it into two outlets, alla Fbody's I think this is detrimental to performance, I have no proof of this just some circumstantial data. IMO the best setup power to weight wise (and equal to any other in terms of rwhp) would be a Y setup running into a suitable SINGLE outlet.

Of course I could be wrong.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I'm debating a similar issue. I have a 3" Borla catback and thinking of having the Borla muffler removed and replace it with a straight pipe so exhaust flows out BOTH sides. Borla round XR-1 racing mufflers will be welded in each side of the ORY-pipe. I believe this will cut down a LOT on the raspiness I get now between 2000-3000 rpm. If it's to much noise, I can easily bolt in a resonatoror another XR1 in place of the short intermediary pipe that bolts up to the ORY-pipe collector.

I also believe this setup will flow much better than pushing the full exhaust through the current rear, multi-chambered, oval muffler coming out ONE tailpipe. If it works well, I'll post it on LS1sounds.com .... can't find anyone here who has done this, so, will let you know what it sounds like when it's done.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greatskiiiier
100% FALSE ... Y pipe single 4" is more tame sounding and MADE 5-10 more RWHP in multiple applciations I have seen over a true DUAL 3" exiting at the rear. A Single 4" will flow what ever the DUAL 3" will throw at it. IN most cases a TRUE dual minus a good balance tube under performs compares to a Y-design. It is an assumption that true dual is better than ALL other designs ... There are always cases where a properly designed exhaust will outperform another improperly deisgned system .. reagrdless of configuration. Just to assuem all duals are better than sinlges is assinine.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Well I had a custom 3 in Y pipe with a Flowmaster and cutout. I really enjoyed the duals when I first got them but now I just dont really anymore. When I give it some throttle beside a curb or something I get weird exhaust noises and the sound just isnt that desireable. I think I may have a few exhaust leaks and the bullets are what my problem is. I love the sound at idle but driving around its so damn loud especially if I try and get out in front of someone, I know everybody thinks Im all the way in it when Im only in it less than half.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

I'd say just switch out your bullets for Borla XR-1's or Magnaflow's
Old 08-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Enjoy the y-pipe setup. I think a smarter option would have been to change mufflers to the Magnaflow 4x9s and leave it dumped, and if it was still too loud, extend it out the back. I've heard a car with a TReX and a 4400 stall with dumped TDs, so if there was ever going to be a louder setup that would be it, but he had Magnaflow 4x9s and it wasn't loud at all. I think my Spiral Flows and little T1 cam are louder than his setup is, and Spiral Flows aren't THAT loud.
Old 08-05-2005, 09:08 AM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got sick of my TD's and went to a QTP Dual Elect. Cutout Y-pipe and an SLP 2OTL catback and that combo flows well enough for 472rwhp (cutouts closed), compared to 480rwhp (cutouts open). If I'd do it again, I'd get the simple ORY without cutouts for even better clearance (I gained clearance by going back to the Y- even with the cutouts).
Old 08-05-2005, 02:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, put a catback, Y-pipe with a cutout back on it. You can have the noise when you want it, and cap it up the rest of the time.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by oxidizr
100% FALSE ... Y pipe single 4" is more tame sounding and MADE 5-10 more RWHP in multiple applciations I have seen over a true DUAL 3" exiting at the rear. A Single 4" will flow what ever the DUAL 3" will throw at it. IN most cases a TRUE dual minus a good balance tube under performs compares to a Y-design. It is an assumption that true dual is better than ALL other designs ... There are always cases where a properly designed exhaust will outperform another improperly deisgned system .. reagrdless of configuration. Just to assuem all duals are better than sinlges is assinine.
Um Yeah. I was under the impression that a good y into a 4" can be as good or better in some cases. Add a tamer muffler and be in business. Ive seen a custom single 4" on turbo t/a and that car was a beast.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
10 second playa

Not to high jack this thread, but you guy's seem to know what you are talking about.

I was thinking of going true duals on my Z-28, but I see most of the guy's that do that usually end up going back to the Y pipe set up? (unless it is a race car) What is up with that?

Should I not bother?

I have Kooks headers with an ORY pipe and a Corsa cat back. (4" tip for camaros only)

The car is just too loud? I even got warned at the track, that I am at the limit of the decibal meter during my burnouts?

I have to change something or they won't let me race. Any advice?

Thanks