Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Ls1 P0131 code

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 08:11 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 P0131 code

Looking for some input, I recently started having a problem with my O2s reading excessively low on both banks, but only throwing the code for bank 1. It may just be coincidence, but it started right after replacing the alternator, old one was only putting 11.9 volts and throwing code, new one puts out 14.8 at first start then pulls back to about 13.2 if I remember correctly.

Anyway, the short term fuel trims are way out of whack at 50% it is not running lean, in fact it is running really rich.

What could be causing this? The driver side 02 sensor is new, but still reading the same as the old one. I dont think it is a vacuum leak as the map sensor readings are the same as when it was running good. Looking for suggestions as this has got me stumped.

Last edited by Matt Mohatt; 07-12-2024 at 08:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2024, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 176 Likes on 128 Posts

Sounds like an Exhaust leak ...
Have any Broken exhaust manifold bolts ?
Once you get your spark plugs that oilly, you'll have rampant misfire, dumping raw fuel into exhaust will fool O2 sensor into false readings, and cause PCM to dump MORE fuel.

TR6 plugs are a step COLDER than stock. How much manifold pressure are you running ?
I'd start with FRESH spark plugs, correct heat range and replace exhaust manifold gaskets, extract and replace any broken bolts.
Old 07-12-2024, 07:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Full Power
Sounds like an Exhaust leak ...
Have any Broken exhaust manifold bolts ?
Once you get your spark plugs that oilly, you'll have rampant misfire, dumping raw fuel into exhaust will fool O2 sensor into false readings, and cause PCM to dump MORE fuel.

TR6 plugs are a step COLDER than stock. How much manifold pressure are you running ?
I'd start with FRESH spark plugs, correct heat range and replace exhaust manifold gaskets, extract and replace any broken bolts.
Everything on the top end is brand new with less than 500 miles on it, except the injectors which i reused from the last build which have less than 6000 miles on them. There are no broken exhaust manifold bolts. It runs about 10 inhg of vacuum at idle due to a fairly large cam 237/244. I used the tr6 plugs due to recommendation of the person who specd the top end and running about 11.5:1 compression on pump gas
Old 07-13-2024, 01:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 503 Likes on 353 Posts

Look to what can be affected by changing the alternator. You had to disconnect and reconnect wires, and now you are running at a higher system voltage. This leaves the possibility of a ground wire not being put back right, which could affect everything. You could also have tuned around low fuel pressure from the low voltage, or bad injector data on the voltage vs offset table. Without knowing more specifics on your fuel system and what tuning has been done for this build it is all guesswork. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a 6 heat range spark plug in this build.
Old 07-13-2024, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gametech
Look to what can be affected by changing the alternator. You had to disconnect and reconnect wires, and now you are running at a higher system voltage. This leaves the possibility of a ground wire not being put back right, which could affect everything. You could also have tuned around low fuel pressure from the low voltage, or bad injector data on the voltage vs offset table. Without knowing more specifics on your fuel system and what tuning has been done for this build it is all guesswork. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with using a 6 heat range spark plug in this build.
It is currently running on a mailorder tune from mailorderstuner.com. As far as injector data I do not know if it is correct or not, I cannot find the data for 36lb FAST injectors. The last time I did a dyno tune was several years ago so I doubt that it was tuned working around the low voltage, but anything is possible. As far as the alternator goes, nothing was disconnected other than the power cable and the plug to the pcm. I will attach my tune file I should be able to get a datalog tomorrow.
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
1st read.hpt (220.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 07-13-2024, 06:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 503 Likes on 353 Posts

Even before this new problem, I am surprised it ran at all on that hack job of a MAF only tune. Unfortunately, that is what that "tuner" is well known for. As for the current problem, if you can't find any wires partly disconnected, or bad grounds somewhere, you will have to go back to basics and check everything. Starting with a large cam and a terrible tune is not going to make it easy. Maybe something will be noticeable when you get a log file to upload.

Quick Reply: Ls1 P0131 code