Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What I've discovered about my new SS

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I've discovered about my new SS

Well apparently my `01 SS wasnt so "stock" after all. It's also probably been in a fender bender.

Things i have noticed so far:
  1. Traction Control permanetly off
  2. Cats removed
  3. Short Throw shifter installed
  4. Fan doesnt seem to come on unless engine is on
  5. Found dry shot nitrous residue on TB and MAF today
  6. A few little ghetto rigs here and there
  7. the clutch bearing seems to be making noise (at least thats what im told)
  8. I dont think the MAF is a stock MAF

Saddens me to know my baby has been ragged on before it found its way to me

Also did an alignment and i think it was hit from behind because the differntial is off

What i wana know is why he didnt take off the stupid skip shift crap even tho he's done all these other mods to it

Oh well.... its still a badass car
Old 08-12-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow sorry to hear someone rapped your car before you got to. but yeah it is pretty bad ***. I cant wait to get on my car and tear her up!!!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like a few girlfriends I had back in the day.

Our T/A has bottomed out somewhere before us, too. I've still got to bend a couple of tabs back straight underneath to get the ground effects to line up right.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ric
Sounds like a few girlfriends I had back in the day.
hey hey it's all good!
Old 08-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Launching!

lol... i was thinking the same thing... about Girls... but hey.... the past is the past... Got ride em in the present.... im the new owner and im gona treat it the way its suppose to be treated.......

Wet shot.... lol (pun intended)
Old 08-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

what does dry shot residue look like?
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by exit
Wet shot.... lol (pun intended)
man this thread sure get nasty fast huh! only took about 6 or so entreis and bam! lol
Old 08-12-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Resident

I feel sorry for the poor person who got my old T/A.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zoltan
I feel sorry for the poor person who got my old T/A.

i often wonder about the suckers who buy the "stock" cars from the guys on here who part out their racecars and sell them as stock. poor guys.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:03 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
what does dry shot residue look like?
I showed my friend the residue (which was white and dry) and he said it was nitrous residue... He said if it would've been a wet-shot it would've been orange because of fuel....

I mean.. its possible that its NOT nitrous residue... but considering everything else done to this car.. i think its very possible....
Old 08-13-2005, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

fix it and make it better.

then enjoy it.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

she liked it dry, strange!!
Old 08-13-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont know about the residue, i would check the rear hatch for any holes under the carpet from bottle brackets, that would give it away.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JustAnIlluzion
i dont know about the residue, i would check the rear hatch for any holes under the carpet from bottle brackets, that would give it away.
good idea

I'll check tommoro
Old 08-14-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

tomorrow? aw i wanted to see wha happens, this is a mystery!!
Old 08-14-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28

i often wonder about the suckers who buy the "stock" cars from the guys on here who part out their racecars and sell them as stock. poor guys.
I think a lot of "suckers" end up with some of these cars. Every day people post here with "looks like someone ran nitrous on my car" "I guess my SS isn't really stock" "my WS6 isn't a WS6 after all...but where can I get new decals anyways I was wondering why it never had them?".

I sympathize with these guys...but the real irony to me is that when guys pay $16...$18....even $20+ grand for certified cars with warranties and satisfaction guarantees from reputable GM dealers, we're the ones labeled "suckers" who should have spent $9999 for some sight unseen car 1500 miles away off Ebay. Or someone asks "I found a mint, pristine, one-owner SS with 15k, but they want $20 grand firm...is this a good deal?" And everyone laughs and tells them to run. It just seems to me like on an investment like this a few simple precautions could save heartbreak later. Seriously, no offense intended at all, but how do you buy a car with the cats removed and not realize it? There was a guy on another board I post at that just bought a fourthgen, and two days later posted "Bonus! I just realized my car came with headers!". I'd have smacked that kid if he was one of my friends. I cannot imagine spending (possibly tens of) thousands of dollars and not finding out exactly who owned it, making sure it has all the RPOs for what it's represented as, running a Carfax, and giving it a totally thorough once over with a fine toothed comb. I just don't get it. And then the rest of us wonder why these cars have no resale value.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:35 AM
Import Patrol

I bought mine new so I did not worry about this, But I went with my alot of me friends to check out f-bodies before they bought them, We always can across ls1 with werid holes in the bottom of the trunk or rear tire location, or holes in their air box, tire rubber underneath the bumper and so one. You need to expect the car in and out, not just give some one the money and hope for the best. But you also need to realize that these ARE sport cars, most people are going to do a burn out with them or get on it from time to time, just can't be **** but use your head
Old 08-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
I think a lot of "suckers" end up with some of these cars. Every day people post here with "looks like someone ran nitrous on my car" "I guess my SS isn't really stock" "my WS6 isn't a WS6 after all...but where can I get new decals anyways I was wondering why it never had them?".

I sympathize with these guys...but the real irony to me is that when guys pay $16...$18....even $20+ grand for certified cars with warranties and satisfaction guarantees from reputable GM dealers, we're the ones labeled "suckers" who should have spent $9999 for some sight unseen car 1500 miles away off Ebay. Or someone asks "I found a mint, pristine, one-owner SS with 15k, but they want $20 grand firm...is this a good deal?" And everyone laughs and tells them to run. It just seems to me like on an investment like this a few simple precautions could save heartbreak later. Seriously, no offense intended at all, but how do you buy a car with the cats removed and not realize it? There was a guy on another board I post at that just bought a fourthgen, and two days later posted "Bonus! I just realized my car came with headers!". I'd have smacked that kid if he was one of my friends. I cannot imagine spending (possibly tens of) thousands of dollars and not finding out exactly who owned it, making sure it has all the RPOs for what it's represented as, running a Carfax, and giving it a totally thorough once over with a fine toothed comb. I just don't get it. And then the rest of us wonder why these cars have no resale value.
Well part of it has to do with the fact that i didnt know ANYTHING about these cars and their motors. I didnt even know they were called f-bodies to be honest with you. I did have a feeling that the cats were removed tho... because the car did seem louder then what i thought a stock SS would sound like. But quite frankly i didnt know **** about the car. I've always been a Mustang lover and was going to get a GT (since i couldnt afford an 03 Cobra). But when i ran accross this Black on Black 6 speed fully loaded Camaro SS for "14.9" ....... while they were asking for 17k from GT converts... There was no way i was going to pass it up....

My dad and i inspected it.... Everything checked out for me... and my dad who knows a shitload more about inspecting cars then me... didnt find anything wrong with it.... AND SOMEHOW.... One of the rear brake pads didnt have any padding left and ended up scraping metal on metal against the rotor like 2 days after i baught it..... For some reason.. it just didnt show any sighns....

You can only inspect a car to a certain point. The car looked bone stock to me.

Btw.... No holes in trunk I remember checking before also and i probably would've noticed....
Old 08-16-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Resident

fix it`! get a better one... make it go faster.. more POWER~! i dont see any problem..
Old 08-16-2005, 07:01 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
......the real irony to me is that when guys pay $16...$18....even $20+ grand for certified cars with warranties and satisfaction guarantees from reputable GM dealers, we're the ones labeled "suckers" who should have spent $9999 for some sight unseen car 1500 miles away off Ebay. Or someone asks "I found a mint, pristine, one-owner SS with 15k, but they want $20 grand firm...is this a good deal?" And everyone laughs and tells them to run.
I agree, I've come to realize some things in my years with this hobby that helps to explain that situation:

1) Different people have different standards of what is acceptable in terms of condition when looking at used cars.

2) Different people have drastically different ideas of what “mint” condition is, and equally drastic differences in what they feel “mint” condition is worth to them in terms of price.

3) Some people’s priorities lie in the price, other’s are more concerned with either condition, documentation, location, their impression of the seller, or a combo of the above.

4) Some people think it’s only a good deal if the price was dirt cheap, they fail to realize that generally you get only what you pay for, and usually there is a good reason why the car is so cheap; a fact that less discriminating buyers often find as an unwelcome surprise after the deal is done (i.e., fake WS6, botched mods, hidden problems, etc.).

In the end, yes it always pays to shop around and do some research, but you can’t get too hung up on looking for the “perfect price” alone. Not only might you miss out on the perfect car, but you might end up buying a basket case of a car that winds up needing enough work to more than make up for the cheaper price.

In addition, when shopping for a used F-body, if you don’t know these cars well find a friend who does and take them with you shopping. These cars tend to get modded a lot more often than an average daily driver type car, and if you want a stock unmolested car to start with, you might have a hard time finding that on your own if you don’t know exactly what you’re looking at. For those of us that have owned, modded, and been around a certain type of car for many, many years, it’s pretty damn easy to spot most anything that’s out of order with one good looking-over...