Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with ideas on how to rig exhaust so I can make it to a shop

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2005, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with ideas on how to rig exhaust so I can make it to a shop

I clamped my original i-pipe to my TSP ORY after my H/C install. Well, the flange for my cutout is maybe 2" off the ground so it's a major issue. Well, I thought the clamp was good/tight enough to get the job done. The pipes it holds are maybe 1-1/2" apart so it's not clamping on much, but I thought it was enough.

Took it for a spin saturday evening for the first time.... must say it was incredible even though i'm relatively untuned still. It was dragging the cutout flange a lot in the neighborhood even on small bumps. Well, check it out once I'm back in the garage and it came undone, basically the flange caught and pulled the whole muffler and everything back enough to pull it from the band clamp.

Any ideas on what I can do to get this thing to a shop? I don't want to risk it really grabbing something and tearing the **** out of my car.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 08-15-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Junkie

autozone sell pre-fabbed exhuast couplers. I'd pick up a couple of these and some extra band clamps.

you might also try using some wire to support the exhuast for the drive.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Get a tin can close to the diameter of the pipe. Cut both ends out with a can opener. use tin snips to cut it down it's length. Wrap the can around the pipes spanning the gap and secure with a couple of hose clamps.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Open headers...
Old 08-15-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not run it open? how far is the shop?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

I can run it open and have...... problem is since the i-pipe isn't connected it wants to rock forward on the mounts making for even worse ground clearance and a serious hazard. If that pipe which is tilting down towards the ground catches something solid........ buh bye who knows what.

The tin can idea is basically what the band clamp I used was trying to immitate. The band clamp I used was 3" wide but there's enough slop in the hangers for the muffler and i-pipe that it pushed back and slid out from the clamp.

I had a clothes hanger on it at first, but it bumped the ground and got wedged up higher than it started with when we tied it off. It made the pipe rub the drive shaft and that's a big no no. Luckily I heard it right away and basically just polished a small ring around the drive shaft.

I'm thinking I may have to cut the over the axle pipe and pull the muffler and everything back there off and get it to the shop that way. Looking for other ideas though. Keep em coming guys.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:02 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

So basically what you are saying is, you installed an ORY & everything didn't match up? And you are trying to get to an exhaust shop to square things up. I'm not underneath my car right this very second ( ) (have been today) but just try to wire that sucker up with some coat hangers, wire or something and drive carefully. I know it sucks when things don't go right, but just think it out.
Gerald