Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Open headers

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open headers

Well I sold my LM and took it off yeasterday along with my ORY. All thats on the car now is the MACs that dump. Well besides being loud as hell I took it for a spin and man its a dog! I figure it must be going ritch as shi* or so I hope, Very little power what so ever. Can open headers for a short time cause any harm? The car is not my DD just a weekend toy so I plan on letting it sit untill I figure out what I want to do exhaust wise, But if I wanna go for a spin I just dont want to screw anything up. TIA -Adam
Old 08-19-2005, 01:22 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

You should not have the much of a power loss. Make sure that the front o2 sensors are in. Other than that, you can burn up the front o2's due to all the fresh air that they are getting. But people have driven 100+ miles with open headers, without any problems.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What lithium said...have some fun till you get your new exhaust, you'll be fine.

-Peace
Old 08-19-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

it's probubly gone WAY out of tune as you have changed the entire dynamics of the engines breathing.........you should NEVER loose HP with open headers.......
Old 08-19-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I noticed no power when my car was ran open headered, sounded raw and unrefined.
Old 08-19-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks fellas that all makes sense
Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

well, that makes up my mind for me, i'm gonna run around the block with open headers just for fun since I still don't have a y-pipe.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:17 PM
11 Second Club

I drove open headers for a few weeks a couple years ago while waiting for my duals appointment. It was FUN. I suggest anybody who installs headers at least starts the car up to see how it sounds. Oh god do I ever want to run open headers with my cam....just once.....

BTW: Mine too was an absolute dog when open header, it runs very rich. So rich, in fact, it could lead to problems such as washing down the cylinder walls and frying the rings. Many people have run open headers with no problems, but you never know....
Old 08-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Open headers??? I effing loved the sound of open headers...
Old 08-19-2005, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

putting about 18" of straight pipe on helps that "runs like a pig" syndrome.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
I drove open headers for a few weeks a couple years ago while waiting for my duals appointment. It was FUN. I suggest anybody who installs headers at least starts the car up to see how it sounds. Oh god do I ever want to run open headers with my cam....just once.....

BTW: Mine too was an absolute dog when open header, it runs very rich. So rich, in fact, it could lead to problems such as washing down the cylinder walls and frying the rings. Many people have run open headers with no problems, but you never know....

werrd. i was drivin open headers for about 4 weeks, and it was awesome! i just got my TD's installed the other day and i did notice quite a bit more power on tap and ya the open headers did feel sluggish. jus do it, do it
Old 08-20-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah I went for another ride today and it is LOUD! Gets even more looks now LOL. Still I cant wait to quiet her down a bit.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:03 PM
Temple, TX Resident

i miss open headers ..... even with a cutout its still not the same
Old 08-22-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

I did this a couple months ago, and it was LOUD!!! I was driving on the feder, and when I romped on it, I had people on the highway turn their heads and roll down their windows... I did notice when I was looking at the engine, I opened the throttle body, and there was some light smoke coming out of the Intake manifold. I don't really know if thats bad or not?? But I put the y-pipe on after that and the car runs strong now.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

I trailered my car to the track last friday and ran it with open headers. Mine also felt sluggish. I actually ran 3 tenths slower than my best time without headers. There was much more humidity though friday night. I'm assuming I lost some low end torque with running open (or i'm just telling myself that because I was slower), because it just didn't get out of the hole as good as the first time at the track. Also have to factor in that the car is untuned.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Mine arent exactly open headers but they are really close. i have two cutouts welded in about 6 inches off the merge collectors and they are LOUD. when you drive next to people you can feel the sound pulsating off their cars, its great ! When i first had them done i noticed a loss of low end torque but i saw an increase up high. In about 2 weeks i get my cam in. I cant wait to hear the 111lsa through those cutouts. It's going to be insane!
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 AM
11 Second Club

I got a bullet at the end of each header and thats it. my car LOVES to breath.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
I got a bullet at the end of each header and thats it. my car LOVES to breath.
Exactly my setup. Right off the collectors a 3" inch pipe into a pair of Dynomax bullets and a 3" inch turndown at a 45* angle down/outwards under the doors. Now the car put's out gobs of power thru then entire RPM range, barks the tires just shifting gears around town.

It sounds baddassss. The only problem is there is a lot of reverberating and resonance inside the car at low RPM's & idle. It's so bad it literally vibrates everything console, windows, door panels and my teeth are falling out.

I ordered a pair of 6" Magnaflow round straight-thru mufflers to replace the Dynomax bullets. I'm willing to trade loudness for a more refined tone and eliminate the resonance (and keep my teeth, too).

Apparently the Dynomax bullets have very little material packed in between the outer shell and the inner straight pipe and just can't "eat" the noise, particularly the lower frequencies.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Default better?????

am I gonna go as rich as everyone else, if I have headers AND a ORY, I'm helping the "y" will help me out a bit more than just open headers, I too am going to run a 111 LSA cam should be in by sat. ill post sound clips of it for all. In the meantime is the ORY going to help me not run as rich @ all?
Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

Hoping not helping (screwed up)