Rattling noise from Rear End - Drivng me Crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise from Rear End - Drivng me Crazy

Ok here is my situtation. I have done a search on here and read a couple of threads unto which I am going to try some of the things and see if they resolve the problem. However I wanted to post my specific problem and see if anyone else has had this and has fixed it yet if so.

ISSUE:

Driving down the road and hitting small bumps suck as concrete spacers, and or big bumps suck as raises in road, I hear hear a rattling noise. It sounds as though it is coming from both sides. I have had the problem for a while now and its getting to the point to where I am about to shoot myself. I am tired of driving down the road and having a nice looking car that sounds as though its about to fall apart.

Here's what I have noticed:

I have noticed that my rear calipers have some play in them. Could they be the culprate? I have also read a lot about LCA getting loose and needing to be be retightend (Something I need to Check).

Has or does anyone else have this problem and if so have you guys ever fixed it. If so how
Old 08-23-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

All of those suspension upgrades with the urethane bushings will definitely make noises. It goes with the territory. My Trans Am did the same thing. The stock rubber bushings absorb most of that noise. Having the urethane bushings transfers all of that noise into the passenger compartment.

Aside from that, my torque arm bolt came loose frequently because of the extra vibrations. Check that, too. Also check the PHB bolts. Thread locker is your friend here.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing is I just put the Adjustable Panhard Bar on hoping that would help. But to no avail it still makes noise. I guess I should have stated that besides that is listed everything thing is still stock meaning LCA's, Shocks, springs, everything. The car has 81,100 miles on its so i know its gonna make noises, but this noise is not squeaking, it almost sounds like the caliper is rattling. I dont think its the caliper though. Hard to pin point it seeing as how I cant be under the car when it rattles like that to find out where it is coming from. Maybe I should just take the LCA's completely off and put them back on and make sure they are tight?
Old 08-23-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bsherrill
The thing is I just put the Adjustable Panhard Bar on hoping that would help. But to no avail it still makes noise. I guess I should have stated that besides that is listed everything thing is still stock meaning LCA's, Shocks, springs, everything. The car has 81,100 miles on its so i know its gonna make noises, but this noise is not squeaking, it almost sounds like the caliper is rattling. I dont think its the caliper though. Hard to pin point it seeing as how I cant be under the car when it rattles like that to find out where it is coming from. Maybe I should just take the LCA's completely off and put them back on and make sure they are tight?
Your panhard bar and torque arm are plenty to drive you nuts. Like I said, at least check the torque arm bolt(s).

Unless the rear end is going out.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no i doubt its my rear end

Like i said its a rattling noise, kinda of like having a whole bunch of silverware in the drawer and sticking your handing in a clanging them all together. Just sounds like something is loose that needs tightening. If I had a lift I could check everything out! Kind of hard to look for loose stuff on your back
Old 08-23-2005, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bsherrill
no i doubt its my rear end

Like i said its a rattling noise, kinda of like having a whole bunch of silverware in the drawer and sticking your handing in a clanging them all together.
Now that description makes it sound more like the rear itself. And you shouldn't need a lift. Just a couple of jackstands. Pull the differential cover (have replacement oil and a gasket handy - and you can always pick up a TA Girdle with the drain and fill plugs in it). Do this after you checked everything else, of course. I did all my work with the car on jackstands.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Check the LCA bolts! and the bushings. Mine came loose and rattled, until I took them off, locktite on the threads and snugged them up.
I would say the Panhard, but you replaced it, as my neighbor's car was rattling around, on his stock one, turns out the bushing was shot.
Before you take the LCAs out, just pick up another set, always some forsale cheap on here....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah I am thinking it may be the LCA's I have read a lot about the stock ones rattling.

Maybe I'll just take them out and not put anything back in

might get a little wheel hop though
Old 08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ha.... wont get wheel hop though... well maybe 1 time, when the rearend falls out....
Old 08-23-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Guess you could call it more of a wheel "JUMP"
Old 08-23-2005, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sounds like either loose bolts or you rear end. Tighten all the bolts, and then look around the pinion area of the rear end to make sure its not leaking, if it is, its mostlikley low on fluid.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default rattle noise

i had the exact same problem on my 01 ws6, the noise was coming from the rear passenger side. the noise was way worse once i was driving slow in a parking lot, you couldnt really hear it on the hw. anyway i took it to a buddy of mine and he said it was just a couple of loose bolts near the rear lca on the passenger side. he tightened all of them and i havent heard the car this quiet since i bought it. before you buy anything just tighten the bolts, should fix the prob.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mine was the torque arm bolts in the rear as well...
Old 08-24-2005, 08:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sweet thanks you guys. I'm gonna try and get it up soon so I can tighten everything up. I mean hell it has 80,000 miles on it. I'm sure something is loose under there.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Damn...i have a similiar noise. Going over the same type of roads i have a rattling noise coming from the rear. Never got under to look what it was as i have no idea what to look for. I'll get under there sometime and check all the bolts.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Same noise here.
Guess I will have to check this weekend.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

check your spare tire i had the same noise, turn out to be the jack was loose, Wont hurt to check before u start tighten everything
Old 08-25-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I figured out what it was from someone else on here. Its the calipers and the brake pad retainers. The calipers have a little bit of play in them and when I hit bumps in the road the calipers rattle. If I tap on the breaks when going over a bump the rattle doesnt happen. They said the fix was to go to GM and get some GM pads they come with new retainers and that should fix the problem.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

new retainers? and if the ones i have look good then what else could it be? stretched caliper housing? even possible?? mine is the front left so you really hear it!!
Old 08-26-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Also, check the little gas neck cover in the back dirvers side fenderwell. Either rip it out or put a couple scres in it to keep it tight. It only has one screw and some plastic fasteners. I guess Gm likes their cars to rattle.

Quick Reply: Rattling noise from Rear End - Drivng me Crazy