Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

car shifting real hard... too hard....

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2005, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car shifting real hard...too hard....

i have had the 98 a4 ta 62kmiles 2months. The only mod the car had on it (that i know of) is a tranny cooler. The car shifts real hard from 1st to 2nd and kinda clunks (for lack of better word) if i give it moderate throttle then easy off before it shifts. If i get on it easy it shifts smooth, no problem. If i give it full throttle it shifts nice and hard with no clunks. just when i give it decent throttle in 1st gear then kinda ease off before it shifts to 2nd. doent feel normal. and there is never any slippage in the tranny at all ever. could the car have a shift kit on it? or could something else be wrong that i dont know about? any and all ideas are appreciated
Old 08-24-2005, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Default ..

anyone???
Old 08-24-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check for codes. A P1870 slippage code or P1810 pressure range sensor code, as well as several others, will trip the PC solenoid to deliver full line pressure all the time, resulting in harsh shifts. Or the PC solenoid itself is bad.

Or, like you said, it could have a shift kit. If it has a cooler, the previous owner may have had a converter in it. The converter will make the shifts softer, so often a somewhat aggressive setting on a shift kit is used to make the shifts feel more posative. If you put the stock converter back in, it will shift WAY to hard, often chirping 2nd gear even at 1/4 throttle. That is unnecissary and dangerous to your drivetrain.

But start with the codes and go from there, either way you should get that straightened out before it becomes more problems.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also keep in mind that the 98's had less torque management and firmer shifts than later years. Since your problem isn't described all that clearly, also check your trans mount and torque arm bushings.

The trans mount can be tricky since it's impossible to see a tear when it's assembeled. Put the car on ramps and jack up the trans with a jack (use a board between the pan and jack) or use a prybar to try and lift the tail off of the crossmember. If it moves a lot, the mount is shot. Not uncommon at all.
Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Probably had a stall in it with a previous owner and the shifts may have been firmed up with a shift kit or tuning.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe an hypertech program? It will increase shift pressure at lower TPS but keep stock settings at hight TPS.

Do you have MAF codes? A bad MAF in the 98 will cause full trans pressure during shifts - pretty hard.
Old 09-04-2005, 08:37 PM
TECH Resident

I had a similar problem. From my website:

The car has been shifting hard and an engagement from Park to Reverse or Neutral to Drive would cause the car to jolt. The car is brought into the dealership where it is road tested and hooked up to a computer. A stored code, P0748, is found indicating that there is something wrong with the pressure control solenoid. The solenoid is eventually replaced under warranty and I was able to drive the car again at 4,896 miles. So far, so good.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

My car was doing something similar, it was the rear tranny mount someone up there talked about, I just put it on block and got under it and pushed straight up and you could tell wear the mount had broke...