Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK So, now I'm Bummed

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2005, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OK So, now I'm Bummed

My LS1 Firebird started to ping under heavy load. It pinged when it is hot out and starting out up a hill and when I do a WOT in third down low and again up on top.

I live in California so I am not allowed to use SeaFoam or the Top Engine Cleaner directly in the motor.

Instead I was informed that I should wait until I get down to 1/8 or lower in the tank and then pour the pint of Top Engine Cleaner in the gas tank.
So, I did this and drove around for the prescribed 20-30miles. I then topped off the gas and imediately changed the oil to Mobil 1 5-30. I had been using Redline 10-30 oil and was very happy with it. I changed because it is now $8 a bottle compared to $4 a bottle for the Mobil 1. I have always used K/N 2006 filter. It has only been 3K since my last oil change. I normally go ~5K unless I just want to do something to the car then it could have been 3K in the past.

The oil was fairly clean with black streaks in it. I assume this is from the Top Engine Cleaner doing it's job. The car doesn't seem ping on hard start ups anymore. I also do not get a click each time I start the motor as long as the car has been started again in the same day. Standard Piston slap people talk about? Never has bothered me in the past so I haven't worried about it.

Now I read a thread that Mobil 1 breakdown much faster than others. WTF?
I thought Mobil 1 was a close second to Redline.

What are your thoughts on this? Patman - What have you found out over the past year or two on the Mobil, that I don't know? I mean, I thought the SuperSyn formula was supposed to make the oil even more durable. Has that changed.

Anyways, I figure now I'm going back to Redline in 2K miles. What a waste.
I use the other case of Mobil 1 in my Pathfinder and dump it is 2-3K and dump it. Or is it still better than the Valoline Durablend I have been using in my other vehicules.

I thought I had the oil thing all figured out.
I guess you have to keep up on oil specs as well. It looks like the formulas for the oil change as fast as the gas prices these days.

What up with the German Castrol ..... Where would you get it? Is it that much better?

Straighten me out on this guys/gals.

Last edited by Mecinoid; 08-25-2005 at 04:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-25-2005, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Mobil 1 may not be the best in synthetics as some people think it is, but it is going to last a whole hell of a lot longer than 3k miles. There was a study I read a while ago w/ an LS1 where they changed filter and topped off every 3k miles and had the oil analyzed. After 16k or so miles the oil still had a little life in it.
Mobil 1 shows more wear in oil analysis than others, but it's by no mean a junk oil.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't think so. But in the thread I read earlier today it made it sound like it only went 1625 miles before breakdown. He referenced Patman for a confirmation on that data. The poster lead me to believe that another oil analysis was run on Mobil 1 and it was terrible if you can only get 1625 mile before it breakdown. He further stated that it acts like 40wt oil. Then goes on about German Castrol. So, I don't believe everything I read but if Patman has a analysis or two that show this. I have communicated with Patman a couple of years ago and I do say he know oil pretty good and he does the tests to support it. This new data would be most interesting to say the least IF it exsists. I just can't believe this. So, I am trying to get other inputs on this.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

Man my post cost is low on this site. I have been an LS1.com member for years. I can't believe I haven't spent more time over on this site.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:05 PM
10 Second Club

Here, found the study I talked about earlier. Personally I run the green GC.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html
Old 08-25-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well you can start looking for a new fuel pump right about now. the person who told you to pour TEC into your gas tank was misinformed. that stuff eats fuel pumps. gm has specific prodcedures for fuel injection cleanings with that stuff and how to block off the return line cause they dont want it getting to the tank. i've seen it happen prob 20 times, a tech messes up TEC gets in the tank, no less then 6 months later the car is getting a fuel pump. your pumps days may be numbered
Old 08-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks a bunch !

At least I'll know what happen when my fuel pump goes out.

OK, so now I'm thinking. Will this fuel pump just go out all of a sudden or will it start buzzing before it completely dies.
Do you know?

Last edited by Mecinoid; 08-26-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-27-2005, 01:05 AM
Staging Lane

"Mobil 1 currently enjoys the distinction of being the only readily available true PAO synthetic motor oil. You can get the stuff at Wal-Mart for Pete's sake! Perhaps because of its wide availability and comparatively low price, we entered this test with both hope and skepticism: hope that it would do well and vindicate millions of M1 users, and skepticism that it would pull it off. We were expecting it to look pretty beat up by 8,000 miles or so; to say we missed the mark would be polite understatement. Mobil 1 really delivered: 18,000 miles later, it was showing its age but was still hard at work protecting the engine."

I think I'm OK if I am changing my oil every 5K.

Now I just have to see what happens to my fuel pump.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:32 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mecinoid
I live in California so I am not allowed to use SeaFoam or the Top Engine Cleaner directly in the motor.
Should have just done it the right way. Screw the smog *****. May as well upgrade to a 255 when/if the pump dies on you.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i might try using amsoil i heard it is very good quality stuff?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Default lucas fuel treatment

Originally Posted by fast98
well you can start looking for a new fuel pump right about now. the person who told you to pour TEC into your gas tank was misinformed. that stuff eats fuel pumps. gm has specific prodcedures for fuel injection cleanings with that stuff and how to block off the return line cause they dont want it getting to the tank. i've seen it happen prob 20 times, a tech messes up TEC gets in the tank, no less then 6 months later the car is getting a fuel pump. your pumps days may be numbered
is lucas fuel injector cleaner safe for the fuel pump?

also it hasn't helped with the pinging.

Thanks