Sponsored by:

No 3rd or 4th gear!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 01:13 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No 3rd or 4th gear!!!!

Took my car to MTI today for some dyno tuning...and for some odd reason, the tranny I traded my th350 setup for last weekend doesn't shift out of second for anything! It threw a total of 5 codes and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

Codes P0740 Torque converter clutch circuit
P0748 Pressure Control Solenoid
P1860 TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit
PO785 Shift timing solenoid
P0753 Shift solenoid A Electrical

I was told prior to getting this tranny that it didn't want shift from 1-2 until a new Speed sensor was install. That supposidley cleared up the problem. According to Jayson at MTI, using a tech II, he was getting reading to and from the pcm..and therefore my wiring harness is fine. It's something going on inside the tranny it's self.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Probably going to be hard to get an answer now that it's friday night..oh well...guess I'll drop it and rebuilt my spare one.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:30 PM
Launching!

I had a similar situation after I went with a higher stall converter. When I cleared the codes I regained 3rd and 4th. Of course, that won't take care of the underlying issue but you might get your gears back.
Old 09-03-2005, 09:52 AM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Codes were cleared but refused to stay off. As soon as you cleared them, they would come back.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

keep us posted
Old 09-03-2005, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Q
Took my car to MTI today for some dyno tuning...and for some odd reason, the tranny I traded my th350 setup for last weekend doesn't shift out of second for anything! It threw a total of 5 codes and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

I was told prior to getting this tranny that it didn't want shift from 1-2 until a new Speed sensor was install. That supposidley cleared up the problem. According to Jayson at MTI, using a tech II, he was getting reading to and from the pcm..and therefore my wiring harness is fine. It's something going on inside the tranny it's self.

all of the codes you listed is every thing inside your trans pan : all selenoids you get those codes for a couple of reasons main connector on pass side unplugged while key was on and a bad fuse / ignition switch . clear codes take a test drive see what returns on a 4l60e no 3-4 is common when the 3-4 clutch is burnt here is a quick test for you with no special tools. that trans with no power to it ( harness unplugged) takes off in third gear which is failsafe mode if you unplug it and you have 3rd gear starts it will be real slugish but internally is probably fine you have an electrical problem with all those codes anyway if they come right back. when a 4l60e 3-4 clutch it shift 1-2-nuetral so you will be able to see if the trans is smoked pretty easy I have a trans shop and do probably 2-5 4l60s a week so any more questions write back thanks Mason Smith
Old 09-03-2005, 11:34 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies....I'll get it up in the air and check out that harness tomorrow morning. The thing is, it starts off in second and stays there. The only time it'll hit first is when you have the selector in 1 and move it up to 2 or D. Then and only then does a gear change happen. It pretty brutal too.

Oh and Mason, check your PM's
Old 09-04-2005, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Q

yes with harness unpluged drive it in low one and manual second you should have second and once your up to speed shift it manualy to 3rd if it goes to third internaly you should be okay to have all those codes if it were in the trans your wiring harness would have to be completely unpluged or cut which i doubt it is probably on the car side let me know what you find thanks Mason
Old 09-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Ok..I unplugged the harness...and it went into third via autotap! Upon looking at the plug end...it had some gunk on it. I took an air hose and blew the end of the plug harness and into the tranny connector part. Plugged everything back up and viola! I have all gears and lock up. I guess the dirt and grime didn't allow for a complete connection. Thanks for the tips/info!

Q
Old 09-04-2005, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

Default 4l60e

Originally Posted by Q

thats why you only had a 1-2 shift i notice now you didnt have a shift selenoid B code that must have been the only good connection Glad to here it

Last edited by 97F1R408; 09-04-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: more
Old 09-21-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any reason why this might happen on a completly stock car? I haven't had a chance to run the codes yet, but my car will not shift into 3rd at all. I have 1 and 2 just fine, but NO 3 or 4. Help please!

Quick Reply: No 3rd or 4th gear!!!!