Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 as daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 as daily driver?

Hi, This is for the guys/gals with M6 with or w/out traction control. I was just wondering for the guys/gals that drive their M6 as a daily driver in snow, rain, bad weather, etc... Do you guys use traction control (esp in the snow)? and does it help. Cuz im looking at a 00 firehawk and i dont think it has TCS and since i live in Kansas and it does snow here in the winter time. Im just wondering does TCS help in the winter time when the driving condition isnt the greatest. Also if the car doesnt have TCS is there a trick in driving in the snow/slippery conditions w/out TCS like starting out in second, etc... Hope this thread made sence and thanks for all the help/advice in advance.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:05 AM
TECH Resident

summer: TCS has almsot caust me an accident or twob y kicking in at bad times...so i now turn ti off every time i start the car

rain: TCR is a life saver
snow: See above
Ice: Good luck, TCS or not, ice is not fun
Old 09-07-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Resident

I'd say if it was snow/slippery just keep the RPM below 2k if possible... I don't have an M6 and I have TCS but with it turned off the car is easy to drive in the rain ( I'll never know how it runs in the snow ) just keep your foot off the floor and drive slow and you should have no problems...

Oh and I live in WI ( we get PLENTY of snow ) and I've seen people driving TA's in the winter, so don't worry about it.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 AM
Staging Lane

I use to drive the V6 camaro in the winter time, which wasnt too bad but it was also had an A4 w/ SGS but most the time i didnt even use SGS. But i was wondering is there any way to add TCS to a non TCS car?
Old 09-07-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98V6camaro
I use to drive the V6 camaro in the winter time, which wasnt too bad but it was also had an A4 w/ SGS but most the time i didnt even use SGS. But i was wondering is there any way to add TCS to a non TCS car?
its possable but it will cost you plenty of cash and plenty of time, you basically have to redo the entire abs system, add a few parts to the engine compartment, little interior wiring, etc. etc. etc.

just remeber anything is possable, but alot isnt worth it

Last edited by Cephiros; 09-07-2005 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Cephiros
its possable but it will cost you plenty of cash adn plenty of time, you basically have to redo the entire abs system, add a few parts to the engine compartment, little interior wairing, etc. etc. etc.

just remeber anything is possable, but alot isnt worth it
Yeah that is very true. I guess ill have to see how the car does is the winter time and maybe ill get a beater that i can drive in the winter time or just hitch a ride from friends. Do you think putting the car in second to start out with might help kinda like the SGS (second gear start) in my 6er A4.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I'd say if it was snow/slippery just keep the RPM below 2k if possible... I don't have an M6 and I have TCS but with it turned off the car is easy to drive in the rain ( I'll never know how it runs in the snow ) just keep your foot off the floor and drive slow and you should have no problems...

Oh and I live in WI ( we get PLENTY of snow ) and I've seen people driving TA's in the winter, so don't worry about it.

my problem is cornering more thna anything, tires tend to break loose in rain any faster than 35 mph in any kind of cornering more than a slight bend

as for SGS, i wodulnt know, ive never really done sgs
only tgs (third :p) and that is only on accident
Old 09-07-2005, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello from another Kansas guy
First off if you get an ice storm, put the T/A safely away until it melts, for snow put about 200 lbs of kitty litter in the back where the t tops go and get some Bridgestone Blizzak tires, and some cheap rims to mount them on you won't have any problems going in snow. TCS can help, but I prefer to turn it off for snow driving, I find I can do a better job of modulating the traction with the clutch and gas
Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

The couple times that I got stuck in rain this summer I tried it without Traction Control and now I'm glad that I have it. I can't imagine going the whole winter without it.

But if you're looking at a Firehawk you should seriously consider getting a beater for the winter months. My car won't be driven this winter or any winter. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:03 PM
Banned

Good thread. Im out here in NY, and i had all the same questions. I spoke to a buddy of mine that has a SS, and he said the same thing as 2K2WS6. Just put about 200LBS of sand or
Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
kitty litter in the back where the t tops go
(LOL ) and you should be fine. Just take it slow, especially in turns.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM
Launching!

I hardly ever drive in the rain, but when I do get caught in it I don't find it too difficult to drive my SS in the rain with the ASR turned off. I'm sure ASR would help though, especially in the snow. I just don't like the ASR so I always turn it off when I get in the car. As for tricks, the kitty litter or cheaper (sand) should defintely help things out, as others have mentioned. Start off in 3rd and really feather the gas, too. A buddy of mine drove around in his '95 formula (A4 no traction control) one night in the snow while I was driving my Tahoe. I was really suprised he didn't get stuck. 4-5" on the ground at the time. So, it definitely can be done.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:26 PM
z98
TECH Fanatic

Two winters ago I drove my M6 LS1 w/o TC every day. It was fine, even though we have plenty of snow.

Driver ability is the real variable here.

Quick Reply: M6 as daily driver?