Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Morel lifters and valvetrain trouble

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Morel lifters and valvetrain trouble

I recently had the heads off and decided to swap in these Morel hydraulic lifters that I've been hearing so much about. When I put everything back together and tried to fire it up, I got nothing. No compression at all. I loosened up all the rockers and tried again, and it fired up and ran fine, but I can't drive around with loose rockers. I tried adjusting each rocker individually while the motor was running, and oddly, each one had to be adjusted completely differently than all the others. I tried using shorter pushrods, 7.300", but all I got was rattling and misfiring on cylinders 3 and 7, still no compression on only those 2. These lifters are supposed to drop in and work like stock, so what's the deal? Any ideas on how I can get this thing to run right?

My setup is AFR 205's, HS stock ratio rockers, Morel hydraulics. I pretty much have no idea where to go next with this, so any help would be great!
Old 09-07-2005, 11:04 PM
11 Second Club

Did you soak them in oil before install?

How much run time do they have?
Old 09-07-2005, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Yeah, in fact they soaked for a couple days before I put them in. Not much total run time, only about 30-40 minutes worth of trial runs.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is happening is the lifter plunger is not taking the preload and hanging the valves open. The oil the lifters are assembled with locks the plunger up at full height.

We dissasemble the lifters,drain the assembly oil, work the plunger and they are good to go. Since you all ready have the lifters installed, the only thing you can do is let the engine run for a while to get hot motor oil in the lifter to "wash" out the assembly oil. You will better off with the shorter pushrod instead of having the rockers loose.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the info, I think that solves my problem.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Futral Motorsports
We dissasemble the lifters
How much of a PITA is that?