Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Header install Question........

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header install Question........

Someone told me here at work that I should replace the gasgets on the intake manifold and valve covers because I have to remove them to fit one of the headers in. Do I have to get gasgets for those? I didn't think they had gasgets.

I was also recommended to use new GM gasgets over the ones that come w/ the headers.......What do you guys think?
Old 09-21-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Someone told me here at work that I should replace the gasgets on the intake manifold and valve covers because I have to remove them to fit one of the headers in. Do I have to get gasgets for those? I didn't think they had gasgets.

I was also recommended to use new GM gasgets over the ones that come w/ the headers.......What do you guys think?
Use the one's with the headers. The R&D has been done, so there's nothing wrong w/ those otherwise they wouldn't have put them w/ the kit.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Launching!

I would replace rather than reuse any gasket that has any kind of torque spec attached to it. i.e. the intake manifold gasket (if you really need to remove it to install headers) but the valve cover gasket is probably ok to reuse. When I have done headers in the past, I used copper gaskets on them due to the extreme heat that they deal with. The gaskets that came with the kit are likely to be ok, but not top of the line. The company isn't going to spec a product that it sees as overkill.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Addict

I thought the LSx intakes had o-rings?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
I thought the LSx intakes had o-rings?
That would be interesting. I will look into that.........

But the valve covers should be okay to reuse!!!

-Tru-Ice-
I'll use the ones with the kit......

The instructions call for removal of the intake manifold to get to the air pipe in the back to re-route it to the header. And you have to remove the valve cover on the passanger side to get the header in from the top. Apparently its easier than coming from the bottom.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

You can re-use the rubber o-ring intake & valve cover gaskets as long as they aren't nicked. But the metal GM exh gaskets are FAR superior to the paper ones that many header companies include. Many people re-use them too....
Old 09-21-2005, 10:12 PM
10 Second Club

I just took a look at the gaskets I have, and they look like a thin slice of metal sandwiched between some kind of paper/rubber composit..... How much will the metal GM gaskets run me, and where should I go to get them? The dealerships way way overcharge for parts.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UMMM you don't have to take off the intake manifold and the valve cover gaskets are fine to use again...I think you could do it with just taking off the passenger side valve cover by the way.

You want GM exaust manifold gaskets I believe from an 00 F-body maybe its an 00 vette too in which case you could reuse the ones you have but I'd go with new ones. You need the one with the round holes where I believe my stock ones were oval.

let me know if you need any help I could PM you my phone number, its not hard but I compare it to F body installs which I've done alot of, compared to the F body and C5 header install is like changing oil
Old 09-21-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
UMMM you don't have to take off the intake manifold and the valve cover gaskets are fine to use again...I think you could do it with just taking off the passenger side valve cover by the way.

You want GM exaust manifold gaskets I believe from an 00 F-body maybe its an 00 vette too in which case you could reuse the ones you have but I'd go with new ones. You need the one with the round holes where I believe my stock ones were oval.

let me know if you need any help I could PM you my phone number, its not hard but I compare it to F body installs which I've done alot of, compared to the F body and C5 header install is like changing oil
Welcome back Wicked, how's the married life treating you? You gonna make it out to BR this or next friday?
Old 09-21-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

So far so good Had alot of ups and downs already but I'm getting by

I doubt I'm going to make it up there I'm hoping to make it to PIR (portland international) before the season is over after I get my oil issue addressed. But I do hope to still make it up there for a night at Quizno's or something its just a long drive. We should have a meet at the Mcmenimans in Centrailla
Old 09-21-2005, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Also 00Vett don't be afraid to jack the motor up a little bit and disconnect the steering. If you want to make it real easy you can cut off the tabs that go to the tunnel (I think) they don't support anything. I didn't but they get caught on all kinds of crap. The drivers is from the bottom and the passenger is from the top, I don't think I even took out the spark plugs on the drivers side. I think the only cut I got was from a paper water cup I was drinking out of taking a break...whereas I give a sacrific to the god of blood checking the oil level in an F-body
Old 09-22-2005, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

I have a 2000 model which has a different location for the air tube. So I have to take the intake manifold off to put on the adapter, so the air tube will fit with the headers. 2001 and newer are good to go, GM made the exaust manifolds different on the 2001 and newer C5's. Go figure.......
Old 09-22-2005, 12:33 AM
10 Second Club

Also 00Vett don't be afraid to jack the motor up a little bit and disconnect the steering. If you want to make it real easy you can cut off the tabs that go to the tunnel (I think) they don't support anything. I didn't but they get caught on all kinds of crap. The drivers is from the bottom and the passenger is from the top, I don't think I even took out the spark plugs on the drivers side. I think the only cut I got was from a paper water cup I was drinking out of taking a break...whereas I give a sacrific to the god of blood checking the oil level in an F-body
I'll be doing the install of these headers the last weekend of September. I'll PM you if I need any help. Thanks for your advice......... The instructions I got to install these headers looked pretty strait forward. It'll be a little time consuming, but I'm in the military at McChord AFB and we have nice garages to work on our toys (for a very small fee). They have bays with full mechanics lifts, air tools, you name it they got it. So that should help a ton.

The only thing I'm worried about (which you might not know since your headers have cats) is once you put the 02 sensors in the X-pipe's 02 sensor holes, and plug the 02 sims into the rear wires going to the computer or wherever they go, what do you do with the dangling wires hanging from the 02 sensors that are screwed into the X-pipe? That don't make a bit of sense to me............
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Junkie

You'll figure that out when your under there, you just zip tie them to brake lines or whatever just make sure they aren't near heat. I would try to find someone with edit rather then use those simms or just leave them off you'd be suprised how little the code comes on and when it does you just clear it with the DIC until you can get tuning. That way you can sell the Simms as new.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

You'll figure that out when your under there, you just zip tie them to brake lines or whatever just make sure they aren't near heat. I would try to find someone with edit rather then use those simms or just leave them off you'd be suprised how little the code comes on and when it does you just clear it with the DIC until you can get tuning. That way you can sell the Simms as new.
Do you have catalytic converters?

I'm gonna have to have the car tuned for the headers.........Or I won't get the most gains out of them. Who should I have tune my car? I guess I can cross that bridge when I come to it. I have to get my car out of the shop so I can get my headers in first.
Old 09-22-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes but I added them later, I have the old style x pipe but then I only paid $600 for my headers So I only have the front O2's the back are deleted.
Old 09-22-2005, 05:03 PM
10 Second Club

Yes but I added them later, I have the old style x pipe but then I only paid $600 for my headers So I only have the front O2's the back are deleted.
Thats crazy..............Your car sounded awesome when I saw the vid of your run at PIR....I think it was PIR. I hope my car will sound somthing close to yours. What cam do you have in your car? I have a 228/228 with 571 lift and 112 lobe seperation. Its a nice cam, and it sounds decent but I want a bigger cam. We'll see how I feel after the headers!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL that was at Woodburn and that was WITH Cats!! Without the cats the car was ridiculously loud, wish there was a switch I could turn it on an off with I liked it, just too much for day to day driving espeicallly since I live in a townhome with the bottom floor garage. My neighbor is hella cool a bit of gear head but even he said it was a little loud...
Old 09-22-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

LOL that was at Woodburn and that was WITH Cats!! Without the cats the car was ridiculously loud, wish there was a switch I could turn it on an off with I liked it, just too much for day to day driving espeicallly since I live in a townhome with the bottom floor garage. My neighbor is hella cool a bit of gear head but even he said it was a little loud...
My car with cat backs and the medium cam I got now puts out a nice rumble. I can't wait to hear it with the headers on. I'll take mpegs before and after to post up for everyone........ That run you made at Woodburn was freadin' bad ***. That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I have been wanting these headers for months but wasn't too sure about the price, but I have heard nothing but great things about them. Again, thanks for the advice. I hope I don't run into any snags..........I want it to go smoothly!
Old 09-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00Vette
I'll be doing the install of these headers the last weekend of September. I'll PM you if I need any help. Thanks for your advice......... The instructions I got to install these headers looked pretty strait forward. It'll be a little time consuming, but I'm in the military at McChord AFB and we have nice garages to work on our toys (for a very small fee). They have bays with full mechanics lifts, air tools, you name it they got it. So that should help a ton.

The only thing I'm worried about (which you might not know since your headers have cats) is once you put the 02 sensors in the X-pipe's 02 sensor holes, and plug the 02 sims into the rear wires going to the computer or wherever they go, what do you do with the dangling wires hanging from the 02 sensors that are screwed into the X-pipe? That don't make a bit of sense to me............
When I installed headers on my 99C5 I found some small holes in the frame on the passenger side near the bellhousing. I used zip-ties, one through the holes and another thru that one too hold the 02 wire. I would put the first zip tie in the frame holes before you put the header in. The drivers side has a brake line which you can zip-tie to. The driver side header was easy on mine after I jacked the motor up 1/2", use a 2x4 with a bottle jack as described in LS1HOWTO.com. On mine the passenger side dropped in after unbolting the starter and prying the air-condtioning line out of the way. Good Luck! My headers are Dynatech Supermax.

Quick Reply: Header install Question........