Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliable daily-driveable 402/408?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliable daily-driveable 402/408?

I'm in the market for a shortblock assembly since the unfortunate events that lead to the demise of my motor this weekend. There's definitely a strong draw towards the 402/408 variety. I drool thinking about it. However, for those of you with this one of the big ci motors... what else did you upgrade to go along with it? I'd assume injectors, larger volume fuel pump, and intake are an absolute must to feed the beast. Rear end? Tranny? Headers?

Would my AFR 205 66cc heads be sufficient?
I've got 1 3/4" long tube headers - how would those fair?

The prices between a forged 346 and 402 aren't that far apart. It's the extra's to make it RELIABLE that I'm trying to account for. I can simply leave the car in my garage til this coming spring if necessary. That way I can buy the 402 now, and build the goodies to go around it over the coming months. She'd be out by next spring running like a striped-*** ape!

So list what you feel is a requirement to run one of these motors without any issues - daily if need be. I really need some insight here...
Old 10-03-2005, 01:43 AM
TECH Regular

The key is to be conservative.

It is no fun to drive a car that won't start, run smoothly, idle down in traffic, stay cool in the summer, etc.

I used the TSP torquer cam on my SDPC LS2 402 and it is great. And yes I daily drive it every other month. (I alternate with a 93 383 Fbod I have).

I have hooked up all emissions equipment and it works and it smogs. And it drives nicely, plus having all the off idle torque in the world to get you around in real world traffic.

Perry
Old 10-03-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a conservative set up, you can reuse your headers and heads (heads may need to be cleaned up for the 6.0l bore). Your tranny will eventually need to be beefed up, but that will depend upon your driving style.

If your heads are new in the box, I'd contact AFR about swapping to 225s for a 6.0l bore.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:35 AM
Teching In

At the moment, with winter coming, the car won't see much more drive time anyway. It'll be at least 2-3 weeks before it's back together and running, if not more. At that point it will be in storage until spring. By then I could have the money together for a 12-bolt & have the tranny built too. I really want to go with a 402/408... as I have a feeling if I put a forged 346 back in, I'll be happy, but not content. The car will simply be a street machine. MIGHT see the track a couple times to put down some numbers, but otherwise, purely for my enjoyment driving around down on street tires.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for a street machine, leave the stock rear alone. 3.23s will be fine with all the torque of a 408. You'll want a 3000+ stall torque converter though.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think if you already have a good flowing setup on a stock 346 shortblock (AFR 205 heads, 1 3/4 LTs, air intake) you should see a decent gain going to a 402 without having to reinvest in all of the parts again.

I'm putting together the following right now: AFR205, AFR 224/228 cam, 1 3/4 LT headers, LPE intake, FAST 90mm ported intake and NW TB, 36lb injectors. If something happens to my shortblock or if I'm worried about passing emissions, I might just go ahead and have a 402 LS2 that is designed around my exisit combo that will give me a very smooth running 402, but I should see at least another 30+ rwhp/tq increase after a tune.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Sounds like this is the route I want to take.

My only other question would be - what is done with the knock sensors from my LS1 to this LS2 block? I'm thinking there's a work around for it... and if THAT is not too much trouble, a 408 it shall be.

Yes, yes, I'll do a search. But if someone has done this for themselves already, and wants to chime in here, feel free! I'm very curious.

Thank you all!
Old 10-03-2005, 01:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

This is exactly what I have done with mine. All info is in sig and it is my only car so I drive it everyday. Other than needing to be retuned it drives fine and having the power all the time is great. Im trying to sell it though.