Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

cheapest touch screen dvd player

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 12:02 AM
SSU, come over and relax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cheapest touch screen dvd player

i think the best way for me to get a ton of songs in my car is to get a dvd player and play mp3 dvd's so i was thinking about getting one of those touch screens so i could search for the songs easy. what would be the cheapest place to get one of these? and if you have one how do you like it?

thanks a lot
Old 10-11-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Resident

honestly, the best and cheapest way for MASS music, would simply be an IPOD adapter for your factory radio. Youll be able to go through folders like they were discs and go through the different tracks on ur factory deck as long as u dont have a cd changer already. The shitty thing is that ull have numbers and not names of teh songs.......... but starting about 300$ for an ipod and adapter....... its not too bad........ other than that, a "DECENT" touch screen dvd player will run u about 1k$ and up.
Old 10-11-2005, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Jensen 7" flipout DVD/VCD player. Plays everything I've stuck in it except WMV files. Awesome quality. It will play MP3 DVDs, but I would stick with MP3 CDs. It takes more time to load the DVD versus a CD cause of it's size. My old screen also took longer to load MP3 DVDs versus MP3 CDs, so I know it's not the deck.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Resident

I've got a Kenwood DDX-7015 (double din touch screen) right now that plays mp3's from DVDs. If you have your dvd arranged into folders you can easily select through your folders to find the songs you want to play. It also display all of the information you have for the song. If you properly "label" your music (artist, album, song title, etc) it will show it on the display.

I'm actually thinking of selling mine. It's only about 9 months old. I think I'm gonna go the CarPC route, but need to sell this first for the money. PM me if you're interested.

A couple of guys locally have seen the double din in my car, and they've commented on how good it looks. I can take some pictures if you'd like.
Old 10-16-2005, 03:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

I personally wouldn’t go cheap. Why buy it twice? Save your money and get a pioneer or one of the upper brands. This is the source for your sound. It also has moving parts which raises your chances of it breaking.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kpowr82
I've got a Kenwood DDX-7015 (double din touch screen) right now that plays mp3's from DVDs.
Is this a flip out, or being double din is it just a flat screen that fits like stock?
Very interested in a setup like this!
If it's a flat screen I'd like to see some pics of it installed.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A couple of guys locally have seen the double din in my car, and they've commented on how good it looks. I can take some pictures if you'd like.
I've seen it in person and damn does it look beautiful wish I could afford one but my car is too slow right now so I need mod money.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd like to see some pics of the double din. How hard was it to fit in your 1.5 din opening? What all did you have to cut? I may be interested as well!
Old 10-16-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

I've seen it in person and damn does it look beautiful wish I could afford one but my car is too slow right now so I need mod money
Thanks for the kind comments Jeff. The bezel is far from being perfect, but if I was a little more patient, I could have perfected the bondo work.

I'll get some pics up today or tomorrow. It is a double din reciever. Not the flip out kind, it's a stationary 6.5" touchscreen.

I'd like to see some pics of the double din. How hard was it to fit in your 1.5 din opening? What all did you have to cut? I may be interested as well!
To be honest, I'm not sure how it would fit in the T/A. If you pull out your bezel and give me the dimensions of the opening from side to side, and from the stock RADIO TRAY to the top of the dash opening, I can let you know if it would fit.

My Camaro has a much larger dash opening being that HVAC vents are integrated into the radio bezel, as are the ASR and Fog switches.

However, you'll see from the pictures that I only needed to make the stock opening about 1/4" bigger from top to bottom. You will also need to fill in the sides as there will be about a 3/4" gap on either side of the HU.

This is where I should have spent more time sanding. It would be much easier to blend this in on a T/A since the bezel is relatively flat compared to the compound curves of the Camaro bezel.

After gaining some experience in modifying the stock bezel, I want to try the CarPC thing.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Resident

BTW Infinite, I meant the dimensions of the DASH opening, not the bezel opening.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Here you go...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/197-6...07021670QQrdZ1

Jason
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

TFT displays are not very good for watching movies, and it has no am/fm tuner. Might not even have CD player capability. I'd watch out for the cheapies like this one.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

oops, sorry, I guess it does have an am/fm tuner and cd.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Addict

Yea its cheap...

I prefer nice ones in nice cars. I would throw that in a daily driver car for the hell of it though.

Jason
Old 10-20-2005, 03:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kpowr82
I've got a Kenwood DDX-7015 (double din touch screen) right now that plays mp3's from DVDs. If you have your dvd arranged into folders you can easily select through your folders to find the songs you want to play. It also display all of the information you have for the song. If you properly "label" your music (artist, album, song title, etc) it will show it on the display.

I'm actually thinking of selling mine. It's only about 9 months old. I think I'm gonna go the CarPC route, but need to sell this first for the money. PM me if you're interested.

im very interested in your set up could you take some pics and maybe give me some more info on the set up?
Old 10-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Id like to see some pics also, im thinking about putting one in my 96