Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

hrm...Im thinking of selling the 387 SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default hrm...Im thinking of selling the 387 SS

well folks,

I havent driven it in about 2 months, and with the new STI, I'm wondernig whether its really the right car for me to keep around. I have space in the garage for 1 car, and there's not way Im putting the SS outside... so I think it might be time to sell?

99 Pewter Camaro SS
MTI Darton Resleeved all-bore 387
TEA Stage 3 LQ9 heads (peak flow @.600 ~340 cfm)
MTI Z1 cam (236/236 112)
Spec 3 clutch
LG Motorsports custom Chrome-moly roll bar w/removable side bars (I dont use them)
completely done suspension (way too much to list)
315 DR rear/275 front on AFS SS style wheels.
4.10 gears
approximately 24k miles. The paint is still pristine. Loads of Zaino and almost never in rain. (maybe twice?)
The car autocrosses VERY well (the Sam Strano front swaybar kicks ***)
I dont drag race it, but I would expect low 11s as it sits.

Whats a reasonable price? Am I nuts asking for 20k$?
Old 10-12-2005, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might have an interested depending on what price you come up with

Perry
Old 10-12-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Visceral
well folks,

I havent driven it in about 2 months, and with the new STI, I'm wondernig whether its really the right car for me to keep around. I have space in the garage for 1 car, and there's not way Im putting the SS outside... so I think it might be time to sell?

99 Pewter Camaro SS
MTI Darton Resleeved all-bore 387
TEA Stage 3 LQ9 heads (peak flow @.600 ~340 cfm)
MTI Z1 cam (236/236 112)
Spec 3 clutch
LG Motorsports custom Chrome-moly roll bar w/removable side bars (I dont use them)
completely done suspension (way too much to list)
315 DR rear/275 front on AFS SS style wheels.
4.10 gears
approximately 24k miles. The paint is still pristine. Loads of Zaino and almost never in rain. (maybe twice?)
The car autocrosses VERY well (the Sam Strano front swaybar kicks ***)
I dont drag race it, but I would expect low 11s as it sits.

Whats a reasonable price? Am I nuts asking for 20k$?
I'm definatley not in the market to buy a car, but I wish I was! It sounds really nice................Do you have any pics for ***** and grins?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Any dyno numbers? I have a daily driver but always looking for another ride to have fun with. I assume your compression ratio is a bit high in your camaro for any turbo. Any guesses? What is the ballpark range you are looking for your Camaro?
Old 10-12-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

The ballpark is $20k. I am talking with a good friend with a GTO about swapping motors. That would give me a 99 SS with all the goodies and a 5k mile 5.7 engine that I could easily then sell for 14k$, making my $20k.

The compression ration is right around 11.1:1 friendly to 92 octane. While tuning it I never found detonation.

I dont have dyno numbers because I just got it tuned in beautifully with the new TEA heads. I havent had time to go and rent the dyno and thrash on it to get the A:F/PE mode tuning spot on. It has considerably more power than it did with the previous heads, where it dyno'd 440/425. I can easily surmise its at 470+.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:49 PM
10 Second Club

That's a NICE ride Chris!!! Well worth $20k....and a bottle of Merlot if it's faster than your Volvo!
Old 10-12-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car is incredible, I rode in it with the engine and it would plant your eyeballs in the back of your head Chris says the new setup makes the old setup look like a 4 cylinder. I offered to trade him my Z06 but he wouldn't go for it

AT 20k it would be an incredible deal for someone the car is clean and has all the suspension, brakes, roll cage, harness etc etc. I've been thinking how I could swing it ever since he called and let me know about it, or at least the motor. Wish it was a vert it would be the wifes new car
Old 10-12-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
This car is incredible, I rode in it with the engine and it would plant your eyeballs in the back of your head Chris says the new setup makes the old setup look like a 4 cylinder. I offered to trade him my Z06 but he wouldn't go for it

AT 20k it would be an incredible deal for someone the car is clean and has all the suspension, brakes, roll cage, harness etc etc. I've been thinking how I could swing it ever since he called and let me know about it, or at least the motor. Wish it was a vert it would be the wifes new car

Got pics?
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tru_ice
Got pics?
Actually...many. I need to get them in the right format/place though so others can see them. I'll work on that asap.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I put a little gallery together of some pictures I have of the car. You kind of get what I used it for from the pictures. Pull it out of the garage, put it back in the garage. Take it to an autoX, put it back in the garage.

http://www.nolke.com/gallery2/main.p...g2_itemId=7846 for the higher resolution photos if you want them.

The car now has Steve W's old SLP Dual Dual that he polished up to such a rediculous level. Its much more quiet than the 4" Mufflex was. The QTP Y-pipe needs surgery to get the cats further from the ground.

It looks stock because I've worked my @ss off to keep it looking that way. I prefer to walk softly and carry a *really* big stick.

thanks all,
chris
Old 10-15-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive had several requests for interior and engine pics, so I'll post those soon as well.

thanks,
Chris

Quick Reply: hrm...Im thinking of selling the 387 SS