Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock LS6 program to run stock LS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock LS6 program to run stock LS2

Let me preface this post with the following: I have programmed my own LT1 car for years, so I have a good understanding of what is involved. I am putting a crate LS2 into a 94 Z28 now, and would like to getting running in stock form with as little time/money as possible. It isn't that I am cheap (because crate engines are not) but rather I have other issues with the car to take care of to get it "on the road." I know this is a conversion forum-type question, but it has to do with programming mostly.

Okay...

I have access to HP tuners for use with a 2000 pcm. I have a 2000 PCM for the car (with harness). I have both a stock F-body MAF and an 85mm LS2/LS6 MAF (same as far as I know.) I will need different injectors (stock ls2 is a bastard-type) and can get 02 LS6 stock injectors cheaply.

So is the easiest route to getting the thing running smoothly (program-wise) going to be copying the relevant parts of an 02 LS6 vette file as much as possible, using the same MAF and injectors as the LS6 - but adjusting the program to account for the engine size difference?

My primary concern is getting the car to run so that I can break-in the engine and then to pass a tailpipe emissions test.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2005, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

The flow characteristics of the motor will probably be off too...not just the parts you're swapping. The head castings are the same (minus the sodium-filled valves), but you're going from a 5.7L motor to a 6.0, which should affect the VE table. Also, the Z06 injectors (28.8 I believe) might not be enough for the setup, the f-body maf is 75mm (not 85mm), and whatever else I left out may be a potential problem. For less than $300, you could probably get an 05 pcm and a new license added to your hptuners. Much less time and hassle if you ask me. Check eBay for PCMs.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
The flow characteristics of the motor will probably be off too...not just the parts you're swapping. The head castings are the same (minus the sodium-filled valves), but you're going from a 5.7L motor to a 6.0, which should affect the VE table. Also, the Z06 injectors (28.8 I believe) might not be enough for the setup, the f-body maf is 75mm (not 85mm), and whatever else I left out may be a potential problem. For less than $300, you could probably get an 05 pcm and a new license added to your hptuners. Much less time and hassle if you ask me. Check eBay for PCMs.

its not gonna be that easy...your talking getting new hardware & the new computer. Not to say it wont be less hassle but nobody knows the true timeframe of the hardware...2 weeks, a month, 2 months so it depends on when he needs this by. Waiting for weeks for the hardware to come out compared to being able to do it with the existing stuff...I'd go with the existing stuff if possible...I will say though the ls2 stuff itself from looking at it would be hard to swap over for many things.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:10 PM
On The Tree

Yes, new hardware is out of the question. Much harder to get, use, and pay for.

When I used Tunercat for my LT1 there was an option for "cubic inches" where I assume that the computer would just scale the relevant tables. I need to look at hp tuners more to see what is available.

If it is as easy as scaling the VE tables by 5% for the change in displacement, then I will be happy. I just know if that is the answerf for sure. Most people that would have done something similar (402 LS2 for example) would not have a stock cam, so they would be starting over anyway. I'm not there yet though.

I wonder if the computer can use the sensors well enough to adjust for the extra inches.