Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Premier VS Pioneer

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 04:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Premier VS Pioneer

I know Premier is made by Pioneer, but is their a huge difference in the quality vs the price?

Next I'm having a hard time finding Premier HU's online from accountable sites... Crutfield does'nt carry Premier, but they do carry Pioneer.

THe stereo shop I'm talking to has it listed at $499 but they can get it down to $450 for me

Onlinecarstereo.com has the HU I'm looking at (Premier DEH-P8MP) for $313 w/free shipping but I dont know what kind of quality they have... or if they're just selling junk. Has anybody used them? Good/Bad/Ugly?

Any thoughts?
Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

well both are made on the same assembly line *** well as RADIO shack's Optimus. inside they are just like pioneer. premier is a little fancier, optimus little cheaper looking
Old 10-25-2005, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

The upper end of the premier line has 6v rca outs and a couple of other little features like auto eq and BMX compressed music filtering. I got my DEH-P860MP on eBay for $295+15 shipping. I think retail on that one is $599.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got a pioneer and the front face says premier. I posted a picture in the silver radio thread.

It has a lot of awsome features. You can really tone your music, I still don't know how to use all the features or what other do, but mine has an equalizer preset 5 and you can individually tune each freq and has sub woofer level, and dvd, xm controls and other functions. It also has three sets of rca's. The only thing I dislike of mine is that you control a lot of the features with the volume button but has a cheap feel to it. But over all satisfied.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go with the Premier. The build quality is alot better.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:24 PM
Launching!

I keep reading that the Premier has more quality built into it... but I cant find any place that sells them to compare prices with... Am I kinda bottlenecked into paying the $450 or can I go through http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/ and get the same HU for 1/3 of the price? ($313)

Has anyone used that site and been happy with them?

~98Boxer~ Where did you get your HU? How much did you pay?

Thanks for the help so far guys, keep em coming.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

http://www.ebay.com
Old 10-26-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Premiers also carry a (2) year warranty, and the old DEH940MP (now DEH860MP) from what I was told were "hand built". I will say that Pioneer stands behind their warranty. I ran a whole year w/defective fan motor, and they repaired it and had it back to me in (3) weeks. Try that purchasing over the internet

Personally, I don't like the 860 variable control *****, and the 940 has a classier finish IMO, but the price is $400 cheaper. Just goes to show you how much mark up there is, and the evolution of car audio. Wait a year, and get the same identical features.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friends and I have bought from onlinecarstereo for upwards of 7 years now...specifically or pioneer HUs. Get the premier, they use better internals and do not run as hot to achieve better quality at similar power levels. I would still probably have my old 4 generations ago pioneer premier from onlinecarstereo if it had not been stolen. And in terms of cost from premier from regular, it really is not that much more, even if you never have to use the warranty on either (which I never have had to do.) I will not run anything other than pioneer/premier for an HU.

Quick Reply: Premier VS Pioneer