Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What's wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong?

My in-line fuse for power to my amp is popping when I try to turn it up. I haven't messed with anything in a while so I'm not sure what's going on. It's pulling alot of power at low volumes but it's not that loud. Is my amp or my speaker fried? I've got a Kenwood excelon 600 RMS and one Kicker Comp VR 12'' 400 RMS and gain on the amp is about halve way. All the wires are in the right spot. Please Help.

Last edited by dajodsterman; 10-25-2005 at 11:54 PM.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't keep popping fuses. Find what is wrong or risk frying something.

Check all your wiring for any shorts... even a single strand grounding out... the entire speaker wire paths for shorts or insulation tears... starting with any speakers that play quiet or not at all at low volumes.

If you still can't find anything I would unhook all the drivers, then swap around until you find the one causing the fuse to blow.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

I didn't keep replacing the fuse. Just one time. I've only got one speaker so it's kinda hard to trouble shoot. I checked the speaker wire but it's kinda dark maybe I missed something.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

a speark wire wouldnt blow the fuse, it would only put the amp in protect (unless it is shitty amp)

you need to check over your power wire, make sure there are no cracks or any strands exposed. you should also check over your ground
Old 10-26-2005, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

If the wires "look" ok Id get a multimeter on it and set it to continuancy, have the negative terminal set to a ground on the car just to doulbe check. Touch the positive terminal to the power wire. If theres a reading you should check/replace that wire. Otherwise, are you sure that fuse youre using is rated high enough?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

I'm using the correct fuse. There's no continuaty from power to ground. The fuse didn't pop at low volumes but it was pulling alot more power than it normally does (There's a current meter on the amp). Voice coils are wired up correct (dual voice coil speaker), so it's not bad wiring putting a big load on the amp. Had that experience a couple years ago lol. Also when that happened the speaker was playing very loud at low volumes. This time it was quieter than it should have been, especialy with the kinda current reading I had. I can only think that it may be an internal problem with the amp or something fried in the speaker causing it to pull more power than it should. Thanks for the input so far. Are there any other suggestions with this new info.
Old 10-27-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds like your amp is getting too hot. Try adding a cooling fan to the heat-sink. Hot transistors draw more current.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:15 PM
On The Tree

The amp has a cooling fan and it was working. Either way though it was only on for a minute before it popped. The temp guage on the amp was showing 90* F. Any other thoughts?
Old 10-27-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what gauge power wire are you running ? What size fuse is it blowing ?
Old 10-30-2005, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dajodsterman
My in-line fuse for power to my amp is popping when I try to turn it up. I haven't messed with anything in a while so I'm not sure what's going on. It's pulling alot of power at low volumes but it's not that loud. Is my amp or my speaker fried? I've got a Kenwood excelon 600 RMS and one Kicker Comp VR 12'' 400 RMS and gain on the amp is about halve way. All the wires are in the right spot. Please Help.
try a bigger amp fuse my buddy had the same problem