Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Oil Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Oil Pressure

Went to Firebird Raceway today and ran a track day. When I came off the track I had very low oil pressure. The last time I was at the track (Las Vegas Motor Speedway in Nov of 04) I blew my stock short block. I now have a new motor with a ported LS6 oil pump.

I do have some oil pressure.....15#s at idle and 20#s at 2000 rpm. Tonite I pulled the filter and changed the oil and didn't see any metal in the oil other than a touch of filings on the magnet. I will cut apart the filter tomorrow morning. Other than a missing chunk of a bearing (I hope not since nothing in the oil so far) what could cause the low oil pressure.

The pressure relief valve above the filter seems to be working. I also pulled the Oil sensor and it is clear. Any chance the pressure relief valve in the pump itself is the culprit?

Perry
Old 10-30-2005, 01:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you were running WOT, it could be anything. It's always possible the pump bypass could be stuck. Keep us posted if you find any more clues.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

I suppose I will start with the front cover and check the pump and the bypass (already checked the filter, sensor and its bypass). If I don't see anything there, pull the pan and check the pickup oring, and pickup and strainer. If nothing there, it is on to the bearings.

Perry
Old 10-30-2005, 12:10 PM
Launching!

Is this your LS2 402 you are having low pressure with?
Old 10-30-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

That it is. I just cut open the filter (changed the oil Friday nite when I returned from the track) and no metal in the oil or in the filter. So that is relatively good news vis a vis bearings. No abnormal engine noise at all, so probably no lifter problem (new Harland Sharps). So I think I will rent a filter adapter and oil pressure guage tomorrow to check the pressure to make sure it is not a sender problem. Although that was pulled and looked good. But looks aren't everything.

Next step is to pull the cover and check the oil pump and pressure relief valve there. There is oil pressure but right at Helms stated minimums and the engine has had good indicated pressure up to now (5 months of street driving), which is about double/triple Helms minimums.

Will keep everyone posted.

Perry
Old 11-01-2005, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Keep us posted on what you find.
Old 11-01-2005, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

If I didn't have that darned thing called work, I would be finished by now. But I have ordered an LS2 front cover gasket and a new Oring for the crank. So this weekend I will pull the front cover. Apparently there have been instances reported through GM service of the pressure relief valve in the pump sticking open. And that apparently will result in the exact symptoms and pressures that I am seeing. I will let you know.

Perry

Quick Reply: Low Oil Pressure